Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM

38 posts, read 102,391 times

Advertisements

I know this question varies by person, but where would you draw the line?

I'm trying to decide whether to go to Key West this spring break with other college friends. I just got a new job so I wasn't able to book the flight early. Now I will need to spend ~$850 round trip just for the flights. Plus, they are staying from Wednesday to Sunday. and I will get there late late Thursday night and will only have 2.5 days there to enjoy.

This will turn into a $1500 trip, which is 2 weeks salary for me. Do I let down my friends and eat the shared cost of the hotel ($300), or go in with the mentality that memories are worth more than money? Or maybe use the money towards going to Iceland this summer (same price for a flight) and have more time to enjoy it?

Where do you guys draw the line for expensive trips (in relation to how much income you or you and your partner are making)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
I would never pay that much for a flight within the US (unless I was getting reimbursed for it). And I suspect I have a bit more income to work with.

I've been to both Key West and Iceland. Key West is fun but Iceland is one of the weirdest and most beautiful places on earth. To me it's a no-brainer.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
I know this question varies by person, but where would you draw the line?

I'm trying to decide whether to go to Key West this spring break with other college friends. I just got a new job so I wasn't able to book the flight early. Now I will need to spend ~$850 round trip just for the flights. Plus, they are staying from Wednesday to Sunday. and I will get there late late Thursday night and will only have 2.5 days there to enjoy.

This will turn into a $1500 trip, which is 2 weeks salary for me. Do I let down my friends and eat the shared cost of the hotel ($300), or go in with the mentality that memories are worth more than money? Or maybe use the money towards going to Iceland this summer (same price for a flight) and have more time to enjoy it?

Where do you guys draw the line for expensive trips (in relation to how much income you or you and your partner are making)?
Too many variables. Are we talking a domestic trip? International? Multiple cities? How many people? 1, 2, 4, 8?

I'll be flying off to Italy for nearly two weeks with my two parents and three siblings...the total cost of the trip is yet to be determined but for the hotel rooms, airline tickets, and rail tickets between cities...the cost is quite a bit.

When I fly domestically, I usually go coach since it's usually not longer than a 3 hour flight to most destinations I go. International travel is different and I'm going business class simply because of the comfort factor and the idea of flying 9 hours in coach doesn't sound very appealing to me. Hotel prices range from destinations but generally I stick with larger brands that I know are reputable, my favorite being any hotel from Starwood I've found to always be top-notch.

I don't think $1500 is unreasonable for your Key West trip. The airline price sounds pretty high though. I'd chalk up the cost and enjoy yourself...memories ARE more important than money in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
If you were my son, I would rec'd skipping the drinking/hanging out Key West trip, save the dough, and have a great trip to Iceland, or wherever this summer. Very pricey non-biz/non-emergency trip, for a couple of days of Key West, imo.
GL, mD

Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
Are you working to earn the money to pay your own tuition and living expenses?
If not... ask the entity who is what they think about the idea.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
$1500 is not considered an expensive trip. If you think it is, maybe you should be rethinking your trip.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
Well, the $1,500 ends up at $600/day. That's a bit much in my book. I think I'd like to get more days for that amount of money. I'd choose Iceland. I don't know anyone that's been there, but I know plenty of people who've been to Florida.

But, it's your call. Which experience do you want to have?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM

38 posts, read 102,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I would never pay that much for a flight within the US (unless I was getting reimbursed for it). And I suspect I have a bit more income to work with.

I've been to both Key West and Iceland. Key West is fun but Iceland is one of the weirdest and most beautiful places on earth. To me it's a no-brainer.
I really want to go to Reykjavik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
$1500 is not considered an expensive trip. If you think it is, maybe you should be rethinking your trip.
But for a weekend trip?? Travelling just myself and no kids and family to pay for? Seems expensive to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you working to earn the money to pay your own tuition and living expenses?
If not... ask the entity who is what they think about the idea.
I pay my own bills and rent (which is $1300/month). School loans havent kicked in yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Too many variables. Are we talking a domestic trip? International? Multiple cities? How many people? 1, 2, 4, 8?

I'll be flying off to Italy for nearly two weeks with my two parents and three siblings...the total cost of the trip is yet to be determined but for the hotel rooms, airline tickets, and rail tickets between cities...the cost is quite a bit.

When I fly domestically, I usually go coach since it's usually not longer than a 3 hour flight to most destinations I go. International travel is different and I'm going business class simply because of the comfort factor and the idea of flying 9 hours in coach doesn't sound very appealing to me. Hotel prices range from destinations but generally I stick with larger brands that I know are reputable, my favorite being any hotel from Starwood I've found to always be top-notch.

I don't think $1500 is unreasonable for your Key West trip. The airline price sounds pretty high though. I'd chalk up the cost and enjoy yourself...memories ARE more important than money in my opinion.
I'm going to Italy this weekend on business and the flight was $1100. Thats why Im discusted to pay $850 to go to Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
If you were my son, I would rec'd skipping the drinking/hanging out Key West trip, save the dough, and have a great trip to Iceland, or wherever this summer. Very pricey non-biz/non-emergency trip, for a couple of days of Key West, imo.
GL, mD
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Ive been to Key West before (used to live in Ft Laud) and its a lot of binge drinking. Very fun times though.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,027 times
-----" school loans haven't kicked in yet "-----

With the kind of money you're considering for a 2 day Florida vacation, I hope you never complain about your student loans when they do kick in.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
GL, mD
Agreed. I love KW, but a trip to Iceland would be a real treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel