Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 04:05 PM

69 posts, read 41,453 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a single father of 2 daughters. I was looking into taking a road trip this summer from Palm Springs. There is no particular destination, we kind of just want to get out there. We were thinking maybe part of west/midwest(NM/CO/KS/OK/MO/NE), south(TX/AR/LA/MS/AL), or South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore). not all states in each respective region, but maybe some of them.

The problem is that I have fear of tall bridges- especially over large bodies of water and steep mountains or cliffs. I am sure that it would be almost impossible to not encounter these anywhere we go, but can anyone please suggest any destination where I'd be likely to encounter the least amount, and which route would be best? I can do linear bridges like Golden Gate, but get extremely anxious with curved or or arched bridges, same with overpasses-unless they are multiple lanes-which I can do fine. Similar rule of thumb for mountains, can do multiple straight lanes but get anxious with steep cliffs, 2-lanes, and extreme curvitures.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal225 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a single father of 2 daughters. I was looking into taking a road trip this summer from Palm Springs. There is no particular destination, we kind of just want to get out there. We were thinking maybe part of west/midwest(NM/CO/KS/OK/MO/NE), south(TX/AR/LA/MS/AL), or South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore). not all states in each respective region, but maybe some of them.

The problem is that I have fear of tall bridges- especially over large bodies of water and steep mountains or cliffs. I am sure that it would be almost impossible to not encounter these anywhere we go, but can anyone please suggest any destination where I'd be likely to encounter the least amount, and which route would be best? I can do linear bridges like Golden Gate, but get extremely anxious with curved or or arched bridges, same with overpasses-unless they are multiple lanes-which I can do fine. Similar rule of thumb for mountains, can do multiple straight lanes but get anxious with steep cliffs, 2-lanes, and extreme curvitures.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
If you don't mind hot weather, how about exploring the South, taking the southern route I-10 out of Palm Springs through Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. Then get off the interstate and take your time on back roads in LA, MS, and AL. The kids should like the history in San Antonio and New Orleans, and the Gulf Coast beaches.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:04 PM

69 posts, read 41,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
If you don't mind hot weather, how about exploring the South, taking the southern route I-10 out of Palm Springs through Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. Then get off the interstate and take your time on back roads in LA, MS, and AL. The kids should like the history in San Antonio and New Orleans, and the Gulf Coast beaches.
Thank you so much for your response. That sounds like a great idea! Would we encounter many tall bridges/overpasses? I'm assuming there aren't many mountainous regions in those areas correct?

Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
How long is your trip scheduled for? Arizona is fascinating in that the upper-half is blessed with canyons and numerous Indian ruins, and the lower half is the Old West history. Grand Canyon could cause you some anxiety (twisty and crowded) but there are other canyons. There are mountain ranges but I don't think you'd have a problem, although you should also avoid Flagstaff.

New Orleans could be an interesting stop for you but the Causeway would certainly not be for you (it is straight and smooth but looong), so you would need to re-route out of the state.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:55 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
If you choose the Texas option, you can take the girls to Schlitterbahn Water Park in New Braunfels. They won't want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel