Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 11:40 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We have been to Iceland twice, one trip was a 2+ week self drive of entire Ring Road and ancillary roads, with 2nd trip a circumnavigation of the country with ~8 'port' stops of the usual coastal towns; 2017 and 2019 respectively.

Icelandair out of EWR both trips, Saga class (sort of 1990s domestic biz class like), all flights were fine and no prob with Rez/communication with airline, etc. All Pre-Covid in terms of airline 'experience'.

A week in Reykjavik is maybe a day or two more than one needs, but YMMV.

Several of the coastal towns around the entire perimeter are worth seeing; Akureyri is the 'capitol of the North', for example.

Cold is relative and difficult to predict weather there in any of S,S,Autumn months; it was snowing last week in the northern sections and yesterday there was a v high wind warning in those sections with a few self drive rental camper vans flipped over.

We were there in late August and in October on our trips: I wore golf shorts/sweatshirt, sneakers every day with an occasional wind/rain breaker, and wind/rain pants a couple of times.

Generally, weather is milder but with potential for more rain in Reykjavik and SE coast, vs north/north west areas your possible time of travel.

Nearly every town has a community pool, some are 'driven' by the warm(er) underground water system. Nearly every motel, joint we stayed at had access to a pool or a small pond like 'warm spring' on or a short hike from motel.

All of Iceland is as pricey as Tokyo or more, from a beer to a pizza, to whatever. Is what it is.

We preferred the self drive vs the small ship cruise: we could do/see what we wanted to, no time frame, but the Windstar small ship did have advantage of slight personal travel and no unpacking/packing, and food on ship was outstanding and part of the cruise cost. Camping, camper vans, couch surfing, hostels are not our sleep mode.

Everyone in the country speaks v good English, though some elders like me, 75, may not be as adept in their 2nd or 3rd language as the younger people.

Remarkable scenery, sights/sites, country and people, in our experience.

My 50Cts opin...
GL, mD

If the OP is on FiscalBook there are several 'Iceland' groups there, most allow reading before 'joining a group', and most groups have a plethora of good info & opins vs TA, et al.
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences there. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I know it's pricey, but so what. Only going to be there a couple weeks. I think TA is useless and not on FB, but I am learning a lot right here! Plus, I have a friend there who can fill us in.

I would only be in the capital a couple days, the rest of the time on a tour.

How fun you got to go on a small ship! I'd like to work a cruise into it somehow....like fly to Rome and get the repositioning cruise back to Miami. It's so much hassle to travel, we like to make it LAST....over a month or 2, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 03:53 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Just booked a Princess cruise that makes 3 port stops in Iceland during September.

Four people for sure, and two more may join us. I've always wanted to see it. Now will be my chance!

Old 04-12-2023, 04:00 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
We're going to Iceland on a transatlantic Viking cruise this September; we'll also be making a couple of stops in Greenland.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:01 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,540,768 times
My kids went to Iceland 2 years ago and loved it. The pictures were beautiful.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:10 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
Just did a quick snoop -- quite a bit cheaper than I expected. A few hostels, and there are hotels at US motel rates. A lot cheaper than Guam.

You can survive a long time on bread and groceries, so at least it doesn't have to be a budget cruncher. On cruises, of course, it won't matter.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:56 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Going to Iceland with Viking in August. Really excited about the trip. NYC to Reykjavik.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:36 AM

739 posts, read 411,714 times
never been, but i love their vodka

Old 04-17-2023, 12:40 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Glad this post was bumped. We're going there (via air) in July!

Old 04-18-2023, 08:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,812 times
We go in May, staying about a week in Reykjavik. We have booked a short cruise to watch puffins, a food tour of Reykjavik, a lava tube tour and an all day mini-bus trip along the coast.

Old 04-21-2023, 05:17 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,613 times
I went to Iceland by myself for 10 days and drove from Reykjavik to various towns along the southeast coast.

Nope, I didn't see any hot springs other than the Blue Lagoon, which is man-made. They might be around but you'd have to hike to them or drive a back road in a 4X4 to get to them. They aren't simply popping up everywhere as the tourism industry hypes. If you are with a tour group, you'll probably go to the Blue Lagoon.

Iceland is very rural and the few towns that I stayed in didn't have much to see or do. I booked 2 tours--one to see puffins and a hiking/4x4 tour.

Also, I encountered heavy rain almost every day in Iceland and it was cold. You are not going to be sitting in hot springs when it's raining heavily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel