Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 09:41 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times

Advertisements

I found out that I have 2 vouchers (445 each) on Delta that are the result of a cancellation from a covid ear trip. These vouchers expire at the end of the year.

That is pretty much enough to go anywhere within the continental US depending on the day. Only drawback is that my son hold the other voucher.

Since my old lady said that yes, we need to use them, and since she hates football, I suggest that we take a weekend football trip this fall, maybe go to a city with a team we like (Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Vegas) and see a game there Even better if we could squeeze in a College game on Saturday.

Other option is just go somewhere we have not been, there are still 9 states including Alaska And Hawaii that I have yet to visit.

Final option is put the funds toward international travel. My son wants to go to Japan but I am not sure that I am up for it.
he insists that there is this airline that has cheap cheap flights from LA to Tokyo. Of course, it does not include any amenities, and in fact, you have to sit outside on the wing and you have to hold your luggage the whole time, but he wants to try it.

I am not enthralled with that idea.

Maybe a September trip to Seattle or Pittsburgh would be first choice, as it appears that Raiders tickets are like the rest of Vegas, Expensive, BABY !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 09:53 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Being a Colorado State alum I don't normally recommend anything CU, but there's a bit of football zen in Denver & Boulder the weekend of September 9th.

CU is playing Nebraska at home on Saturday. That was a huge (albeit very one-sided) rivalry in the Big 12 days. This year it'll be Deion Sanders vs. Matt Rhule. Expect a lot of red in the stands at Folsom.

On Sunday the Raiders play the Broncos at Empower Field.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I found out that I have 2 vouchers (445 each) on Delta that are the result of a cancellation from a covid ear trip. These vouchers expire at the end of the year.

IIRC, Delta has implemented the 'never expire credits' on cancellations (on applicable fares).

Book a ticket, cancel the travel, keep the credits (forever)

Rules will apply, and I don't think Delta is extending credits on their lowest fares, so book something of value. then cancel and use the funds later.

This is how I spend airline issued credits (that expire).
Book a ticket, cancel the travel, keep the credit (unexpiring)

Otherwise... go see the fall colors or do a Christmas event travel.
We did NYC one yr, SF another, often do San Antonio between Thanksgiving and New Years. Lots to do nearby, usually decent weather.
Quebec City is another option for fall colors and fun / unique experience.

Japan would be great! BTDT many times. There used to be Wednesday emails from legacy carriers on discounted weekend travel (filling seats). I've seen Tokyo RT from SF or LA for $300! (several years ago) You could stay 1 week or 2. Backpack / carry-on luggage international travel is the way to go and enjoy. (tho checked bags are usually free on international legs). Once you get to an international destination, local flights are often dirt cheap (carry-on only) 7kg max.

Spouse likes to do Christmas markets in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, often frankfurt, Munich, or Berlin can be very cheap airfare from East coast USA

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-14-2023 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-14-2023, 11:43 AM

2,035 posts, read 988,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
IIRC, Delta has implemented the 'never expire credits' on cancellations (on applicable fares).

Book a ticket, cancel the travel, keep the credits (forever)

Rules will apply, and I don't think Delta is extending credits on their lowest fares, so book something of value. then cancel and use the funds later.

This is how I spend airline issued credits (that expire).
Book a ticket, cancel the travel, keep the credit (unexpiring)

The OP already said in his very first line that these specific credits DO expire, so this isn't really applicable.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:43 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
My wife and I use our Delta companion pass every Fall and go to Key West. The first week of October is amazing there.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:48 AM

2,035 posts, read 988,010 times
I might filter my choices to emphasize destinations where your credit will get you the most bang for the buck, if that makes sense. Destinations where Delta has a notable presence.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
The OP already said in his very first line that these specific credits DO expire, so this isn't really applicable.
1) you use the expiring credit to BUY a ticket with a fare that will not expire.
2) you cancel that trip and retain the credits (non-expiring)

I do this all the time. (with 'fixed expiry' airline issued credits)
As do far more people than me.

Dr Dao slowed the free flow of Airline issued credits. Too bad. Our family flew for many yrs (on free credits)

Old 07-14-2023, 12:11 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post

I think what he meant was to use this credits to book a travel for a fare that is cancellable and the credits don't expire, cancel it later and and use those credits much later on.

I sometimes use a similar technique. I sometimes get those gift visa cards that expire. I use it to buy amazon gift cards that don't expire. And use them when I want them.

Old 07-14-2023, 01:18 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Hawaii is great in the fall, after the summer tourists leave and before the snowbirds arrive.

Old 07-14-2023, 01:24 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
I don't think the "delta" credits will work on the "budget" airline that goes to Japan.

But you didn't say where you are - LAX to Haneda right now is just $900 or so, so that's a nice discount.

On the other hand, Hawaii (from LAX) is less than $500 RT - so that's free - and my choice!

Lots of options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel