Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 06:05 AM

8,398 posts, read 4,424,552 times

Advertisements

Oh I somehow missed the fact that you had only one week. That really narrows it down to maybe just warmer parts of Europe. Since I am an inquisitive traveler who likes to study a place in detail, if I had only a week, I'd go to a place where there isn't that much stuff to see, but just to take it easy. Consider Spanish islands - Canary Islands will be frankly warm (Tenerife, Arrecife on Lanzarote), Balearic Islands will have a very mild winter temp (Palma de Mallorca, Ibiza).

Portugal/Azores are likely also a good suggestion, but I don't really know much about Portugal. In the course of my life, I met two different people from Lisbon (in very different situations) who both rubbed me wrong to the point that I decided I didn't want to visit Portugal ever. I know; irrational and unfair to form a feeling about a country based on two random unpleasant people, but feelings are formed irrationally whether we want them or not, and there are more places I want to visit than I'll probably have time left for anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 08:13 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,622,444 times
I too will suggest Madeira, it's one of the nicest places I have visited in years & I'm looking forward to a return. People call it the Hawaii/Bali of the Atlantic although that isn't an exact match since it isn't tropical hot but rather springlike warm.

The Portuguese airline TAP often has deals with a day or two in Lisbon & then on to Madeira (or wherever). Despite the above post, Lisbon is one of my favorite places anywhere to visit (but not in summer now that it has been "discovered").

Old 11-08-2023, 11:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,768 posts, read 58,209,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I too will suggest Madeira, it's one of the nicest places I have visited in years & I'm looking forward to a return.....
I just remembered... RAIN... Check the season, as Maderia gets LOTS of rain, and exploring via scooter is far superior to a vehicle. (Roads are very steep and narrow)

We were there in mid November and missed a rainstorm by a few hours.

There are some really unique sights and sites.
https://www.responsiblevacation.com/...est-time-to-go

The intensive agriculture is similar to NZ. Compact and productive. (and very steep)

Old 11-08-2023, 12:23 PM

992 posts, read 1,022,592 times
With only one week, I'd suggest either Mexico, Costa Rica or the Caribbean for warm weather, or cities in the southern half of Europe with non-stop flights from your location - maybe Athens, Lisbon or Rome. All will have reasonably comfortable weather for a sightseeing vacation and lots to see and do. Also, Germany will be very cold but they have wonderful Christmas markets in December.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:13 PM

8,398 posts, read 4,424,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
With only one week, I'd suggest either Mexico, Costa Rica or the Caribbean for warm weather, or cities in the southern half of Europe with non-stop flights from your location - maybe Athens, Lisbon or Rome. All will have reasonably comfortable weather for a sightseeing vacation and lots to see and do. Also, Germany will be very cold but they have wonderful Christmas markets in December.
I still vote for Spanish islands. Flight from Madrid are frequent, and will not take much time away from the 7 days that the OP has available. I have never visited them in the winter, but I know somene involved with music business who spends a lot of time in Ibiza, and says it's great in the winter when it is not crowded and only the most die-hard ravers and old hippies/ New Agers are still there. In fact, I myself plan to go there at some point in the winter, for one week in Palma and one week in Ibiza.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,768 posts, read 58,209,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I still vote for Spanish islands. Flight from Madrid are frequent, and will not take much time away from the 7 days that the OP has available....
Red-eye flights will make it easier to find 'stay-buy' / flight privileges, and less disruptive to a tight schedule.

I used to leave after work (~2-4AM and arrive back to work just in time to start my next rotation shift (midnight). It has always been easy to go to work when tired. Rest during your next flight.

Retirement means 24hr flight availability, but I seldom take early mornings (airport crowding). Benefit is that the earlier the flight, the less chance of cancellation or delay. (or weather related stoppage)

Old 11-08-2023, 05:40 PM

451 posts, read 427,461 times
Costa rica. Lots of monkeys and cool birds. Hiking, beaches tropical drinks

Wherever you end up relax and have fun.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:58 PM

35 posts, read 23,267 times
Argentina in December does sound like it would be warmer than Belgium! Asia could also be a good option to consider since it's winter in the northern hemisphere but summer in the southern hemisphere. Have you thought about South Korea at all? I've heard Seoul is really cool to visit - the food is amazing, the culture is interesting, and it would definitely be warmer than the USA in December.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:28 PM

218 posts, read 156,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityandmore View Post
Argentina in December does sound like it would be warmer than Belgium! Asia could also be a good option to consider since it's winter in the northern hemisphere but summer in the southern hemisphere. Have you thought about South Korea at all? I've heard Seoul is really cool to visit - the food is amazing, the culture is interesting, and it would definitely be warmer than the USA in December.
Average December temperatures are quite a bit lower in Seoul than they are in the Atlanta suburbs, where the OP lives. Seoul can get very cold.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:39 AM

10,918 posts, read 7,440,288 times
SE Asia is a great idea. My favorite Thai restaurant used to close every December so the owners could go home to visit. They said December was the only decent time to go, because the rest of the year was too hot and humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel