Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 08:52 AM

7,712 posts, read 3,329,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If Amtrak says 63 hrs... Double their estimate to be more accurate.

Take the cat as ESA, (only if cat likes to travel).

Our pets stay home to guard the place. When we arrived home from a yr away... The pets were a bit miffed that we were disrupting their new schedule and their new homes, and personal space.
A new order takes place in the house if I am gone even a couple of days. Yeah, the cat screams bloody murder just going to the vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 12:12 PM

5,774 posts, read 11,412,414 times
Here's a "slow travel" travel agency in Berlin, Germany that can book cargo ship trips as well as mail ships, expedition supply ships to Antarctica and sailing ships. They are well known in Germany, but have booked lots of trips for travelers from the US, Canada and many other regions. Web link below is in English.

https://www.langsamreisen.de/en/

Old 12-05-2023, 12:39 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,683,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
All Is Lost (Robert Redford)
Wild guess: You don't care for ocean travel...

Oh wait, Tom Hanks crashed from a plane....

Old 12-05-2023, 12:43 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,683,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Here's a "slow travel" travel agency in Berlin, Germany that can book cargo ship trips as well as mail ships, expedition supply ships to Antarctica and sailing ships. They are well known in Germany, but have booked lots of trips for travelers from the US, Canada and many other regions. Web link below is in English.

https://www.langsamreisen.de/en/
I see under "Freighter Travel" that it is: "Currently very limited".

Another booking site said freighter passenger travel had been suspended since Covid.

Oh well. At $120 to $150 a day per person, that's way over our budget just to get somewhere.

Fun idea, while it lasted.

Old 12-05-2023, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,771 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Fun idea, while it lasted.
So many opportunities... so little time (for those of us on the home stretch. (We can, and do fail, at any minute).

Jam in the the fun stuff (while you still can).

BTW, are you doing a Air B&B in SD? and for how long?

I need to find a LT rental there with storage (for bikes) and visit ~2 weeks / month during winter.

Our current stay in SD is really ideal, but not for LT or often.

Need a MIL home or similar that I could provide stable income (and cleaning / care / maint) for owners.

Old 12-05-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Wild guess: You don't care for ocean travel...

Oh wait, Tom Hanks crashed from a plane....
Tom Hanks was Captain Phillips on a ship that was taken over by pirates.

I have nothing against ocean travel.

Old 12-05-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
So many opportunities... so little time (for those of us on the home stretch. (We can, and do fail, at any minute).

Jam in the the fun stuff (while you still can).

BTW, are you doing a Air B&B in SD? and for how long?

I need to find a LT rental there with storage (for bikes) and visit ~2 weeks / month during winter.

Our current stay in SD is really ideal, but not for LT or often.

Need a MIL home or similar that I could provide stable income (and cleaning / care / maint) for owners.

Talk to Norty Flatz on that one.

Old 12-06-2023, 06:21 PM

2,692 posts, read 1,673,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Tom Hanks was Captain Phillips on a ship that was taken over by pirates.

I have nothing against ocean travel.

Tom Hanks was also a FedEx employee on a plane that crashed in the sea in Cast Away. Great movie. I think that is what Sand&salt is referring to.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Tom Hanks was also a FedEx employee on a plane that crashed in the sea in Cast Away. Great movie. I think that is what Sand&salt is referring to.
Yes, I know. But, my particular reference was to Captain Phillips which is actually about a Maersk cargo ship. That's why I corrected that. Of course, I have seen Cast Away.

Old 12-12-2023, 06:04 PM

17,413 posts, read 22,168,513 times
Quote:
I was looking into being a passenger on a cargo ship. There are even specialty travel agents who book these. There are 12 or so very nice cabins available. No entertainment of course, but if you enjoy being at sea....

But strangely, there seem to be very few cargo ships going from So. America to the U.S. West coast. I would think there would be LOTS of travel on that route, since so many goods come from SA to the U.S.

If you ever wondered about this, it's not cheap. Rates go from $120 to $150 a day per person. So that 22-day journey would be over $5,500. That's over 3 times what we paid for a trans-Atlantic cruise.

Then I find out the shipping companies are not taking passengers anymore since Covid.

My question is, why so few cargo shipping lanes from So. America to the U.S. West coast? At least, according to this chart:

https://www.mol-service.com/blog/ves...d-sailing-days

This was the only one I could find on that route:

https://www.maersk.com/schedules/poi...04&vesselFlag=
Cargo ship would be worse than a greyhound bus ride across the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel