Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 12:34 PM

666 posts, read 479,214 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom with a 5 year old son and would love to start taking him on vacations. My parents didn’t take us on that many growing up but still have those memories of the ones we did go on. Would love to instill some of those memories in my son and also open him up to new things.

I just am having trouble on where to start. We are located in Philly so would be nice to have somewhere we could drive to for a start. Eventually would be open to flying with him as well.

Any ideas in the northeast area ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 12:38 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
www.extraholidays.com.

If you don't want to use these places you can still look at the activities information for each location.

www.fulltimetimeshare.com Couple lived on timeshare specials for years.

X off all the advertisements, click on photo gallery then click on location you are interested in and click on "Things to do." I use these helps even when I am using my own condo points. Great guide for planning. Now what are your son's interests? Happy vacationing!

Our now 28 year old granddaughter at 5 years enjoyed Pompano Beach and things like Butterfly World. We have a friend that took their two girls at about 9 & 10 to national parks and they got stamps to become honor something, maybe park rangers. Pictures looked great on Facebook.

Last edited by NCN; 01-02-2024 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-02-2024, 04:49 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
If you're in Philly, you have a lot of driving options. You could do a short trip to Hersheypark, or longer trips to NYC, New England (both Boston and Maine are fantastic!), or head south to the Appalachians, Shenandoah, and the coastal Carolinas. What you need to ask yourself is what trips interest you (and I do mean YOU, not your kid). there are kid-friendly activities all over, so pick a destination that has some appeal to the adults who will actually be driving.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:53 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I am a single mom with a 5 year old son and would love to start taking him on vacations. My parents didn’t take us on that many growing up but still have those memories of the ones we did go on. Would love to instill some of those memories in my son and also open him up to new things.

I just am having trouble on where to start. We are located in Philly so would be nice to have somewhere we could drive to for a start. Eventually would be open to flying with him as well.

Any ideas in the northeast area ?
I grew up on the other end of Pennsylvania from you OP, in the Pittsburgh area. My parents took my siblings and me on a driving vacation every year, and I have very fond memories of those trips. One summer we went to Niagara Falls, another year to Washington DC, always staying in a motel with a swimming pool.

Those were great trips but my favorites were the summers we'd drive to Ocean City NJ (very near to you!) and rent a beachfront apartment for two weeks. We'd ride rented bicycles on the boardwalk in the mornings, spend the afternoons on the beach, and enjoy other fun things like miniature golf and movies. I'll bet your son would love it. Good on you for making happy memories for him.

Last edited by WellShoneMoon; 01-02-2024 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-02-2024, 05:01 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Your son is young. Just focus on local stuff. Art museums, library programs, and sports geared to his age. Any vacations away can wait until he can appreciate them. Disney can wait until he is 7-9. A cruise with children’s activities is great, but he is too young yet.

My grandchildren have been to Spain and Puerto Rico, but they could not care less. They would have been just as happy at home in the park.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:09 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If you're in Philly, you have a lot of driving options. You could do a short trip to Hersheypark, or longer trips to NYC, New England (both Boston and Maine are fantastic!), or head south to the Appalachians, Shenandoah, and the coastal Carolinas. What you need to ask yourself is what trips interest you (and I do mean YOU, not your kid). there are kid-friendly activities all over, so pick a destination that has some appeal to the adults who will actually be driving.
I would add Washington DC to that list. Our kids loved the Air and Space museum.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:38 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
I second the suggestion about Hershey Park. It's an enhanced amusement park experience.

https://www.hersheypark.com/

It's a short trip from Philadelphia. It's about a 2-hour drive.

There are rides scaled for all ages and sizes.

https://www.hersheypark.com/explore-the-park/rides/?

It's also a water park, which might be nice depending on the season.

https://www.hersheypark.com/explore-..._types%5B%5D=2

Old 01-02-2024, 08:56 PM

Hershey park is on the list but I think I will wait for warm weather for that. Was thinking of doing a trip in March. Dc sounds like a good option if there are good museums for kids. He actually
May also appreciate the historical monuments. He surprises me sometimes with things he’s interested in.

Was also thinking the poconos and staying at one of those family Resorts. I have never stayed up there and it has been a while since I have visited.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I grew up on the other end of Pennsylvania from you OP, in the Pittsburgh area. My parents took my siblings and me on a driving vacation every year, and I have very fond memories of those trips. One summer we went to Niagara Falls, another year to Washington DC, always staying in a motel with a swimming pool.

Those were great trips but my favorites were the summers we'd drive to Ocean City NJ (very near to you!) and rent a beachfront apartment for two weeks. We'd ride rented bicycles on the boardwalk in the mornings, spend the afternoons on the beach, and enjoy other fun things like miniature golf and movies. I'll bet your son would love it. Good on you for making happy memories for him.
Yes I love ocean city nj!! We used to go there growing up as well. We actually stayed nearby in ventnor last summer but spent a day there. Maybe will add a trip to oc this summer ! Love eating my way through the boardwalk haha

Old 01-02-2024, 09:27 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Lancaster PA would be a fun day trip or overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel