Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 06:10 AM

5,132 posts, read 6,127,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Want to head to Grand Teton, then onto Yellowstone, onto Glacier and then do Jasper and Banff as part of a road trip during July/August this year.

I know accommodation is expensive in that area and i'm trying to get some camping in Yellowstone and Glacier but camping is super hard to get as it gets booked up within minutes.

Any advice on any budget locations to stay within reasonable proximity to each of these destinations? Also how many days do you think would be warranted in each of these parks?

My current thoughts -

Grand Teton - 2 days/3 nights
Yellowstone - 3 days/4 nights
Glacier - 3 days/4 nights
Jasper/Banff area - 3 days/4 nights
I tried planning a similar itinerary for my family this past summer flying into Denver and catching, Rushmore, Devils Tower and Custer before we attempted Yellowstone. I started early and it proved too daunting for me with prices for lodging in Yellowstone out of our budget and the West Entrance not logistically feasible for such a big park as Yellowstone.

I did this same trip in 2016 and lodging was really affordable and the amount of visitors were a lot lower.

We did Yosemite, Sequoia, and the PCH this past summer instead and the amount of family’s and people traveling now is incredible.

We aren’t a camping family but as many have said from visiting Yellowstone camping is the best way to explore the park if you can’t afford the lodging in the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 09:03 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Never had an issue getting back country camping permits.....but that certainly isn't for everyone!!

Old 01-17-2024, 10:01 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Thanks! Unfortunately, hotels in that area are in the $400-500/night range which is out of my budget!! I may have to look at camping at a campground I guess.
There are campgrounds in both the northern and southern parts of the park, as well as camping areas just outside the park boundaries which would also work out well. Just ty to split your stay so you're can spend more of your time seeing the park and less time merely driving through it. (Honestly Yellowstone and Grand Teton together have enough to see to easily justify a full week's stay, especially if you like hiking.)

Old 01-17-2024, 10:38 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Want to head to Grand Teton, then onto Yellowstone, onto Glacier and then do Jasper and Banff as part of a road trip during July/August this year.

I know accommodation is expensive in that area and i'm trying to get some camping in Yellowstone and Glacier but camping is super hard to get as it gets booked up within minutes.

Any advice on any budget locations to stay within reasonable proximity to each of these destinations? Also how many days do you think would be warranted in each of these parks?

My current thoughts -

Grand Teton - 2 days/3 nights
Yellowstone - 3 days/4 nights
Glacier - 3 days/4 nights
Jasper/Banff area - 3 days/4 nights

Your plan has too much time lost to travel and settling in.

I would limit myself to the two Wyoming parks.

BTW, Glacier has a Canadian counterpart, Waterton Lakes National Park that is also very beautiful.

And, I would leave Banff for another trip that would include Jaspar National Park of Canada.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:38 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
I agree with Lillie to limit your road trip to a couple of national parks. I know little about camping but it looks like there are plenty of available camping spots at Yellowstone in August in the $40 price range on their website. I stayed in cabins and lodges in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP in 2019 and Glacier NP in 2022, booking a year in advance. Glacier lodging, especially Many Glacier on the east side of the park, books up very fast. Yellowstone has more lodging and there are lots of cancellations throughout the year although it can be challenging to find multiple night availability. One of the benefits of staying in the park is that you automatically have a reservation to get into the park.

Some of the less expensive lodging under $200 are the Yellowstone Lake Lodge Frontier cabins (south end of park), and the Mammoth cabins (north end of park) with no bath but public facilities available nearby. There are summer reservations available for both. And there are plenty of moderate accomodations still available at about $300 a night. Grand Teton lodging is at least moderately priced but Colter Bay is offering tent cabins that open up for reservations in February - not sure of the price. There may be other no bath cabins available at Yellowstone and Grand Teton that are less popular so still available but no different than camping. Glacier has some August openings in August at the westside Apgar Motel, the least expensive room is under $200. It takes about an hour to get into Many Glacier from the main road and the parking is full by 10 or 11 am. Unless you are an early riser, I would hold off on Glacier and then make your reservation a year in advance, camping or staying at the Apgar westside and the Swiftcurrent Motor inn at Many.

Otherwise you best bets are to stay in West Yellowstone or west of Glacier NP and drive in each day but you would have to win the reservation lottery. There are fewer alternatives for east Glacier NP or Grand Teton NP without driving a long distance.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 01-18-2024 at 04:53 PM..

Old 01-18-2024, 04:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Otherwise you best bets are to stay in West Yellowstone or west of Glacier NP and drive in each day but you would have to win the reservation lottery. There are fewer alternatives for east Glacier NP or Grand Teton NP without driving a large distance.
Since YNP and Glacier NP is a 'through' highway, (open 24x7), enter before dawn. (Check to see entry station staffed hours, usually 7AM-7PM).

Just get inside, take a nap if necessary, but wildlife is more active (and traffic is less) in early AM and early evenings.

If you come via motorcycle... you can figure out how to 'stealth camp'. Head down a back road after dark with no lights on. DON'T start a campfire.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:40 PM

487 posts, read 323,572 times
I would also say your schedule is too ambitious. Each of those parks deserves way more time than that. Heck, we spent 10 days in Jellystone itself one year. So, I would either do Jellystone/GT or Glacier/Banff/Jasper.

One trick that has served me well for decades is camping in the first-come, first served campgrounds. Get there around 7am when people are leaving and you should be able to get a spot. This has worked for us about 98% of the time in different national parks.

If you go to GT, do the Cascade Canyon hike for fantastic views. Like others have said, you will probably need two base locations in Jellystone since it's so big. I remember the Lewis Lake campground in the southern part of the park had a lot of mosquitoes. Don't miss the Grand Prismatic spring.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:12 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
Quote:

I assume the OP is referring to camping reservations on Recreation.gov filling up as soon as they open. Depending on the desired campground and date, reservations become available on a certain date at 8 am MST. Many of the July and August 2024 dates are becoming available later in January and February 2024.

Another option for Yellowstone is at Yellowstone National Park Lodging. The park concessionaire, Xanterra, manages several campgrounds and July and August reservations are available now. From a preliminary review, it sounds like cancellations can be made at no cost if you cancel prior to 30 days from your arrival date. Recreation.gov seems to charge a $10 cancellation fee regardless. This is a link to the Xanterra site that also includes other lodging. You have to keep scrolling to the right to see the campgrounds.

https://secure.yellowstonenationalpa...-2024&nights=2

Old 01-22-2024, 04:05 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
When it comes to the Xanterra accommodations, it's important to not just look at the website but to CALL XANTERRA! Cancelled room reservations get rebooked so quickly they often never get posted on the website. Call frequently, and the odds are goo you'll get what you are looking for.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
We stayed outside the park at an AirBnb, but it was late in the season. My understanding for Yellowstone is you need to book a year in advance, especially for camping.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel