Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:34 AM

2,004 posts, read 999,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
But you can comparison-shop on Kayak, then, when you've chosen a flight, book it on the airline's web site.

I'm a Delta flyer at a large hub, so I see no reason to go through all that. The only time I'll use another airline is if Delta doesn't go to my destination.

I just like to forewarn people about third-party sites, especially like Expedia and Travelocity. Have been burned with flight, car, and hotel. Never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 08:48 AM

17,676 posts, read 15,386,072 times
Has anyone ever seen where one of the third party sites.. Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, etc.. For a FLIGHT.. Is any different price than anywhere else? Such as the airline website?

I always book through the airline site. While I'll admit, sometimes the third party sites have some packages that make sense, where you bundle a flight, hotel and car or similar.. For flights alone.. I really have never seen an advantage.

I might use them to SEARCH.. as others have said, using Google Flights is useful in that as well as it can show some combos that you might not have considered. And, the third party sites do have some advantages as United's website isn't going to put you on a United flight out and a Delta flight back, or a split connection or similar..

Of course.. You also generally have to go out and search Southwest yourself, as they don't appear on any of the third party booking sites.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:31 AM

24,763 posts, read 9,559,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Do you book the flights through Google or do you use the Google information and go to the airline's website to book?
You can't book them through google.

Google will only direct you to the airline's website or an authorized 3rd party website. Same as skyscanner and many other sites.

Google allows you to pick what flight you want, and see what flights are available, but all the actual booking/payment is on a separate website.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:15 PM

16,367 posts, read 10,488,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I use the Google information and book directly from the airline's website.
What is Google Information and is it different than Google? How would I run a search for a flight on regular Google?

Old 05-07-2024, 01:36 PM

17,676 posts, read 15,386,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
What is Google Information and is it different than Google? How would I run a search for a flight on regular Google?

flights.google.com

It doesn't allow you to book flights.. Well, technically, it'll link you to the airline site. Just gives more/better search options. also includes Southwest, which you won't find on any of the third party booking sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel