Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,327 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment of what was originally built in the 1850's as single family townhouse in NYC. Just out of curiosity I did a google search on my address and found a New York Times article from 1899 about a murder that occurred in what is now my apartment. Two men got in a drunken dispute over a woman and one of the men was killed. I don't have any strange issues with hauntings or ghost but I'm rather fascinated by this now.

Anyone else ever find out anything like this about where they live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
I'm like you, it would interest me....but not scare me in any way.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,587,191 times
I used to briefly live in an apartment complex where there is still an unsolved missing person/probable homicide to this day. I, too, found this out long after I had vacated the premise. The case was from the late 90s:

The Charley Project: Zabullah Alam

I lived in the apt directly above.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,071 times
Well with alcohol, two drunk men and a women involved what would you expect.

busta

Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
This would certainly peke my interest! I do beloeve in the paranormal, and I have had my fail share of experiences. I would not choose to live in a house where a violent death took place, but you found out after the fact.

Some people are not effected by such events. Just because a murder took place there does not mean that the place is haunted. It does raise the probability of it however.

The older a building is the more likely that death of any sort took place there.

I once lived in the East Village - St Marks Place between 2nd and thier and the apartment was really haunted.
I never did learn of it's history however,

Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
In old buildings and houses, there is a strong probability that many unpleasant things happened in them over the decades.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
When we were younger our mom moved us into a house in missouri somewhere , I dont remember where we were living just know it was in Missouri . One night my sister and I were still awake at 1 am and we heard a thump, thump on the stairs and the next morning we told my mom about it and she got curious and went to the library . she looked up the history on the house and she found out that the house was once occupied by the town dr and his young son I guess he was about 5 or 6 and was not allowed to play with any of the kids in town which were considered lower class than the drs family . His mother thought this and the child had to always play inside the house . Well one day he was playing and his ball went down the stairs , and he chased after it and slipped and broke his neck while falling down the stairs , the dr pronounced that he was dead the next day the mother hung herself . My mother did not like living in this house at all after that and my mother swore to us that she heard moaning and crying . We also heard the thump, thump at least 3 times a wk . We moved out and then another family moved into that house and they moved out a month later . 6 months later the house was torn down and nothing has been built on that property since to this day it is vacant because everytime they try to build something on it , something happens like construction workers being shocked and such and strange stuff like that happening .

Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Whew! That's creepy, phonelady.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
I live in an apartment of what was originally built in the 1850's as single family townhouse in NYC. Just out of curiosity I did a google search on my address and found a New York Times article from 1899 about a murder that occurred in what is now my apartment. Two men got in a drunken dispute over a woman and one of the men was killed. I don't have any strange issues with hauntings or ghost but I'm rather fascinated by this now.

Anyone else ever find out anything like this about where they live?
Unless it was recent with "I will be back!!!!" scrawled in blood on the wall then I really wouldn't care.

....or if they did a bad job cleaning up and the room smelled all "corpsey".

Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
There is probably a pretty good chance that wherever you are right now....someone has died within 50 feet of that spot at some time or another.

If you go to certain areas in China, Europe etc. then there are spots where litterally hundreds of thousands died in an area the size of a few acres. If those places aren't haunted like crazy then I seriously doubt a lot of these stories about some house being haunted etc.

Heck, you shouldn't be able to walk across Stalingrad, Nanking, Iwo Jima etc. without tripping over hundreds of ghostly encounters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime