Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM

297 posts, read 519,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
As far as well known cases go, I would have to say the Zodiac murders.

Locally, here in Indianapolis, there is an old case that was always talked about when I was growing up. Four fast food employees were abducted and murdered in 1978 and the case remains unsolved. The bodies were found about 10 minutes from my childhood home.

Burger Chef murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burger Chef murders, a 25-year-old mystery - 13 WTHR
I've heard of the Burger Chef murders. I have always found cases where 2+ victims went missing or were murdered very interested because you always assume that you're safer in groups. Some examples of those types of cases are:

The Springfield Three
The Springfield Three - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sodder Family
Mystery of Missing Children Haunts W.Va. Town : NPR

Katharine and Sheila Lyon
Lyon sisters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yogurt Chef Murders
Yogurt Shop Murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders
Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM

389 posts, read 586,518 times
I agree with the Yogurt shop murders - an horrific crime, and it would be great to see it solved.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
As far as well known cases go, I would have to say the Zodiac murders.

Locally, here in Indianapolis, there is an old case that was always talked about when I was growing up. Four fast food employees were abducted and murdered in 1978 and the case remains unsolved. The bodies were found about 10 minutes from my childhood home.

Burger Chef murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burger Chef murders, a 25-year-old mystery - 13 WTHR
I hadn't heard about those - thanks for the links. Being from Indianapolis, do you remember the Sylvia Likens case, or was it before your time?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salonva View Post
Didn't they recently (like in the last year or two?) find some shoes or a sole of a shoe on an island where she likely crashed? Anyone remember this?
They found something (I forget what) and some bones, but they also thought they might be giant turtle bones. I don't know what the results of the testing were. I'll see if I can find anything.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Simple. I can tell you right now:

JFK was assassinated by a nutjob named Lee Harvey Oswald. Not space aliens. Not Elvis. Not Bigfoot. Not a mysterious second gunman. Not the CIA/Mafia/military industrial complex/Martians/Lyndon Johnsohn/George W. Bush/Obama/Illuminati/Mormons together acting in a vast conspiracy.

Amelia Earhart crashed and sunk into the Pacific. One among the thousands upon thousands and thousands of human beings who have disappeared at sea since time immemorial.
I really don't think any "true crime" happened here.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM

417 posts, read 454,971 times
I guess these might not be so much unsolved but they totally haunt me. The case of Zahra Baker is just so upsetting to me- all cases are horrible but this one just pulls at me from time to time and I can just start to cry over and over about it. That poor kid had no relief and no protector.
And the other recent case is of that idiot who starved his dog and left him to die on the snowy street. (the idiot is being charged so that is better but how coudl someone do that? It's not like it was an instant of bad judgement- it was so reversible).More charges filed in Oshkosh dog cruelty case - National Pet Rescue | Examiner.com

Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Default Donald Eugene Webb...

Evaded the authorities so long, He may not be living..

Donald Eugene Webb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I hadn't heard about those - thanks for the links. Being from Indianapolis, do you remember the Sylvia Likens case, or was it before your time?
I wasn't born yet but I have read and heard about it. It still comes up around here from time to time. The Baniszewski house where she was killed was recently torn down. Very, very sad story.

Here is another local case. A mother and her son were murdered a few years ago in a town called Franklin. It is about 25 minutes from Indy and is not known for crime like this. It has baffled a lot of people.

Four years later, Franklin murders remain unsolved - 13 WTHR

Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I wasn't born yet but I have read and heard about it. It still comes up around here from time to time. The Baniszewski house where she was killed was recently torn down. Very, very sad story.

Here is another local case. A mother and her son were murdered a few years ago in a town called Franklin. It is about 25 minutes from Indy and is not known for crime like this. It has baffled a lot of people.

Four years later, Franklin murders remain unsolved - 13 WTHR
Thanks for that link.

Yes, I saw the movie An American Crime (2007) all about the Likens case... very sad, I agree.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:13 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Black Dahlia
JFK
Poor little Adji Desir everytime I see his picture or think about what probably happened to that sweet looking little guy I could cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime