Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 01:14 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Every estimate I've seen places his jump well south of Mt St Helens, near the Lewis or Washougal rivers. The damage from the eruption was quite limited in the southern direction, so I don't see that as a high likelihood.

But, where the money was found in 1980.. That area WAS covered by the eruption.. At least, my understanding. So.. You have an area where it's suspected he jumped, and an area where hard evidence was found.. And, they admittedly don't really know when he jumped. There's a big swatch of time between when the door opened and it was confirmed he wasn't on the plane anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 05:27 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
But, where the money was found in 1980.. That area WAS covered by the eruption.. At least, my understanding. So.. You have an area where it's suspected he jumped, and an area where hard evidence was found.. And, they admittedly don't really know when he jumped. There's a big swatch of time between when the door opened and it was confirmed he wasn't on the plane anymore.

There may have been some ash deposits there, but only a few inches at most. I think those would quicky wash away. Here's the ash map

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/...sh-map-750.png

and the other eruption fallout, which is almost completely to the north

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_e...n_deposits.png

Of course we dont really know where he jumped. South of Mt St Helens is just where the plain was when the tail bumped off, as if weight had been taken off. Maybe that's what he wanted us to think.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Fresh off my local news, posted less than 1 hour ago 1/17/2019: https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/g66l...higan-man.html

Quote:
GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- One of the latest theories on the true identity of D.B. Cooper drew a crowd this week at Schuler Books.
A former Michigan State Police investigator answered questions and signed his new book concerning his theory that D.B. Cooper was Michigan resident Walter Reca, who has since died.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:32 PM

If only he bore a vague resemblance to the hijacker...but he doesn't look anything like the Cooper drawings.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 AM

And if only Cle Elum wasn't more than 50 miles off of the known flight path of the plane, as monitored on radar and as proved by the placard from the rear steps of the plane that blew off and landed well west of Mt St Helens. Not to mention the money.

Of course the Reca theory requires us to believe that the FBI helped him cover up for the crime and that explains these impossibilities. Uh-huh, yeah, sure.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
And if only Cle Elum wasn't more than 50 miles off of the known flight path of the plane, as monitored on radar and as proved by the placard from the rear steps of the plane that blew off and landed well west of Mt St Helens. Not to mention the money.

Of course the Reca theory requires us to believe that the FBI helped him cover up for the crime and that explains these impossibilities. Uh-huh, yeah, sure.

Personally, it's my 100% belief that DB Cooper was Richard McCoy.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Personally, it's my 100% belief that DB Cooper was Richard McCoy.

He certainly bears the most uncanny resemblence to the Cooper drawings, out of all the remotely credible suspects, and he clearly had the ability to do it and survive. He had an alibi of being in Las Vegas the day of the Cooper hijacking, though I don't know what evidence supports that. I definitely think "Cooper" survived or more evidence (like a body, suitcase, and more money) would have been found by now.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
To me, He died from the jump or the weather he had to endure if he landed safely. They found some of the burned money, and none of the other bills have shown up. I use to skydive, lots of the training is how to land safely, in the woods, on different terrains etc. But landing in the woods, at night. Good training or not, its risky. Now its just one of those, what if, stories to write about.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
To me, He died from the jump or the weather he had to endure if he landed safely. They found some of the burned money, and none of the other bills have shown up. I use to skydive, lots of the training is how to land safely, in the woods, on different terrains etc. But landing in the woods, at night. Good training or not, its risky. Now its just one of those, what if, stories to write about.

One correction here. The money was not burned.

The Ingram bills were severely decayed, but they were not burned.

A seemingly small thing that has huge repercussions. If the bills were burned, that opens up a whole new set of theories.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 PM

293 posts, read 191,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
At 10,000 feet you hit the earth in 60 seconds. With the temperature, shock, and disorientation he blacked out soon after leaving the plane, chute never opened, splat in a remote area (maybe the river). His remains soon scattered by wild animals, and his bones, clothes and other material (most of the material - syntethic fabrics may have survived this long), including the money, have long since disintegrated with the effects of weather and time.
It's a nice fantasy, but the dude died that night.
Yup. I think he probably pulled a few g's when he jumped out the plane and wasn't able to pull the cord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime