Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:02 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times

Advertisements

I think the FBI would prefer for the public to believe that he died so as to discourage others from doing the same rather then they have any evidence of his death.
I am another who has always been intrigued by this mystery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,835 times
The D.B. Cooper mystery has always fascinated me. I still wonder about him and wonder if he's alive or dead. I think, but not too sure, he may be passed on.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:38 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster3071 View Post
In 36 years something should have turned up if in fact he jumped at the area reported.
Not necessarily.

I grew up in that country. It's big, remote, rough, heavily wooded and empty. People disappear in the Cascades every year, never to be seen again. Heck, entire planes have crashed in the Cascades that have never been found much less one man being easy to find. Periodically hunters will find a plane that had crashed decades earlier that hadn't been found.

Cooper jumped out in a rain storm/blizzard in the middle of winter wearing a suit.

Personally, I think he and the money is still in the woods somewhere. I think the money found years later had washed down a stream into the Columbia and washed up onshore where it was found.

The world according to Skinem...

Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
I thought the money that was found was in an area that had been dredged since the jump, implying it had to get there well after the whole event, and also that it was well upstream from where Cooper could have landed. I also saw a documentary where a guy theorized that Cooper's chute had gotten ensnared in a ship's propeller, his body dragged back up the river and there by leaving some of the money so far upstream. Weird stuff.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Not necessarily.

I grew up in that country. It's big, remote, rough, heavily wooded and empty. People disappear in the Cascades every year, never to be seen again. Heck, entire planes have crashed in the Cascades that have never been found much less one man being easy to find. Periodically hunters will find a plane that had crashed decades earlier that hadn't been found.

Cooper jumped out in a rain storm/blizzard in the middle of winter wearing a suit.

Personally, I think he and the money is still in the woods somewhere. I think the money found years later had washed down a stream into the Columbia and washed up onshore where it was found.

The world according to Skinem...
I agree.

The odds of him surviving that jump are slim to none ( IMHO)

Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,553,512 times
Bumping this thread, hoping a student of this case can help me understand..

I've read that no one ever saw 'Cooper' leave the plane, including aircraft tailing the plane.. So why is there a consensus that Cooper jumped around the Oregon border (right ?) Is it a theory based solely on when the plane door opened.. Would it be possible that Cooper could've hung in the compartment for an extended time after he opened the door.. or would there be too much of a vacuum, etc. Because that could completely expand theories of where he bailed no (?) Didn't the flight ultimately go all the way to Reno.

I've read about the found money in '80 along the Columbia River, and a sign from a plane that would've been consistent w/the plane from the case.. but they could've been planted later for mis-direction, no.. So what is the reason for a consensus on the jump site, or is there more disagreement than I've gathered as a lay reader on the case (?) (any sources, info. appreciated, Thanks)

Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Bumping this thread, hoping a student of this case can help me understand..

I've read that no one ever saw 'Cooper' leave the plane, including aircraft tailing the plane.. So why is there a consensus that Cooper jumped around the Oregon border (right ?) Is it a theory based solely on when the plane door opened.. Would it be possible that Cooper could've hung in the compartment for an extended time after he opened the door.. or would there be too much of a vacuum, etc. Because that could completely expand theories of where he bailed no (?) Didn't the flight ultimately go all the way to Reno.

I've read about the found money in '80 along the Columbia River, and a sign from a plane that would've been consistent w/the plane from the case.. but they could've been planted later for mis-direction, no.. So what is the reason for a consensus on the jump site, or is there more disagreement than I've gathered as a lay reader on the case (?) (any sources, info. appreciated, Thanks)
The consensus is based on what you've given. When the tail door opened, the captain radioed back asking if he was OK (Or if he needed anything), and was pretty much told off.. There was an upward movement of the tail a few minutes later that required trimming to get back to level flight, which is indicative of weight leaving the tail.

The night he jumped was a moonless night as I recall, so a chase plane, which is this case were F-106's that were positioned so that Cooper wouldn't see them.. Were unlikely to see a person jump from a plane. By the time the chute opened (if it did) they were well past it.

Is there 100% proof that the theorized jump location is accurate? no. But, that's why there is a consensus. the evidence points to that being the time/place, but.. It could be wrong. You have to remember though.. Things aren't movie scripts.. With hindsight, it's easy to look back and say "He could have done this or that".. Rarely does someone consider all that in the moment, or in the planning.

Someone mentioned Richard McCoy earlier.. He is one of the strongest suspects in the case. About 5 months after the Northwest incident, he hijacked United flight 855 with VERY similar circumstances. But.. There are a whole lot of holes in it as well, mainly age and physical description.

All in all.. The thing that just makes you think this guy went splat is the fact that none of the money has ever turned up (Short of the Ingram bills). Every single bill is documented. If it had ever made it to a bank or back to the reserve for destruction, it would have set many, many alarms off.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:31 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Someone mentioned Richard McCoy earlier.. He is one of the strongest suspects in the case. About 5 months after the Northwest incident, he hijacked United flight 855 with VERY similar circumstances. But.. There are a whole lot of holes in it as well, mainly age and physical description.

All in all.. The thing that just makes you think this guy went splat is the fact that none of the money has ever turned up (Short of the Ingram bills). Every single bill is documented. If it had ever made it to a bank or back to the reserve for destruction, it would have set many, many alarms off.

Someone wrote a book claiming McCoy was Cooper. I read the book. McCoy's family sued claiming he wasn't Cooper and won.

I think the lead FBI agent on the case believes he went splat and wound up on the bottom of the river.

If Cooper got away with it and made his way to a foreign country with the cash, would it eventually wind up back here? I don't know.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:44 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Someone wrote a book claiming McCoy was Cooper. I read the book. McCoy's family sued claiming he wasn't Cooper and won.
George, I'm glad you brought this up.. Are you referencing DB Cooper: The Real McCoy (1991) ?

I haven't read it yet, & I'm wondering.. did the book ever state if the reclusive stewardess from the Cooper flight, get to look at photos of McCoy (?) That to me would be a good start to confirming, or discrediting, the Cooper-McCoy connection, no? Or was there an extenuating circumstance w/her I.D., The Real McCoy cover this angle (?)

Any insights appreciated..

Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
George, I'm glad you brought this up.. Are you referencing DB Cooper: The Real McCoy (1991) ?

I haven't read it yet, & I'm wondering.. did the book ever state if the reclusive stewardess from the Cooper flight, get to look at photos of McCoy (?) That to me would be a good start to confirming, or discrediting, the Cooper-McCoy connection, no? Or was there an extenuating circumstance w/her I.D., The Real McCoy cover this angle (?)

Any insights appreciated..

Yes, that's the book. I read it a long time ago and don't remember that part about the stewardess. Richard McCoy did look like the police sketch of Cooper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime