Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times

Advertisements

Interested in true crime books - ideally set in the Southern California area. I've searched the libraries and found several (Helter Skelter, etc) and read them.

Just interested in more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Predator: Rape, Madness, and Injustice in Seattle by Jack Olson - the first half of the book takes place in the Los Angeles area. A must read for anyone who might serve on a jury - never assume someone is guilty simply because they have been charged.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
Why: The Serial Killer In America by Margaret Cheney is a good one.
Coroner by Thomas Noguchi is a classic.
Wolf and Mader's Fallen Angels is one I'm planning to read.
Any book on the Zebra Murders is worth reading.
Cut! Hollywood Murders, Accidents, And Other Tragedies by Warren Leonard is another.
The Road Out Of Hell by Anthony Flacco and Jerry Clark is terrific.
A Mother's Trial by Nancy Wright is a favorite of mine; taking place just a few miles away is another favorite, Bad Blood: A Family Murder In Marin County by Richard Levine.
Outrage by Vincent Bugliosi is good, but not as good as his other one, And The Sea Will Tell. That one is questionable as far as taking place in California; the trial did, but the crime was conducted elsewhere.
There are 8 million books on the Black Dahlia case; take your pick.
My Dark Places by James Ellroy is a good one.
The Night Stalker -- either the one by Cliff Linedecker or Philip Carlo -- is a great case.
Most of Joseph Wambaugh's books take place in California; Fire Loveris a great one.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:55 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Predator: Rape, Madness, and Injustice in Seattle by Jack Olson - the first half of the book takes place in the Los Angeles area. A must read for anyone who might serve on a jury - never assume someone is guilty simply because they have been charged.
Thank you! So many assume if you've been accused, you must be guilty of something...this book will go on my "to read list"

Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Another great one for that is The Devil's Knot, although it takes place in Arkansas. Or either of the books on Juan Corona, The Road To Yuba City by Tracy Kidder or the terrifying Jury by Victor Villasenor. The Corona story is a California serial-murder case.

In my earlier post I forgot to recommend Sharon Tate And The Manson Murders -- it tells you much, much more about all the players in the story, including what happened to the survivors, families of the victims, witnesses and so on and so forth in the years following the Manson trial.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Thought of some more Southern California books :

2 books about Serial Killer Wayne Adam Ford - Shadows of Evil by Carlton Smith, and Body Parts by Caitlin Rother.

I forgot the author of this one - but it is simply titled The Hillside Strangler - about Buono and Bianchi.

This one is set in Northern California - but the book is an excellent account of homicide investigation - and an intriguing look at a relatively unknown serial killer - Trace Evidence: The Search for the i-5 Strangler - it is about Roger Kibbe.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I forgot the author of this one - but it is simply titled The Hillside Strangler - about Buono and Bianchi.
That would be Darcy O'Brien. It was also released under the title Two Of A Kind.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,464 times
The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh

Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The Road Out Of Hell by Anthony Flacco and Jerry Clark is terrific.
About 2/3 of the way out of this book that was associated with "The Changeling" movie.

Sick, sick story.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh
PProbably the second true crime book I ever read, the first being Truman Capotes, In Cold Blood. Both gave me chills and nightmares.....excellent, excellent book. Joseph Wambaugh's fiction was better than his subsequent true crime, IMO, with the exception of the ONion Field. I enjoyed his series of books on the LAPD...The Blue Knight, The NEw Centurions, The Glitter Dome, The Choirboys....I loved, loved, loved those books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime