Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:43 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

This is fascinating. In March of this year a young man reported his girlfriend had been kidnapped and was being held for $8,500 ransom. He told a story of the perpetrators drugging him, putting headphones on him playing soothing music and drilling a hole in a window through which the suspect pointed a gun with a laser mount. The young woman later was found released unharmed near her father's Huntington Beach home. The police expressed doubt about the story and expressed that concern publicly but as soon as they did a number of emails were sent to the media in which the suspect apologized and provided evidence that it was not a hoax and that the victim was telling the truth. Of course the Police and just about everyone else thought it was the couple involved sending the emails in order to clear their name.

Well it was so bizarre that locally it was called the "Gone Girl" case and pretty much everyone who heard about it thought it was a hoax. Until this week when a suspect was identified and arrested after he committed a similar crime in Dublin Ca. an upscale suburb in the SF Bay Area. The victims there fought with the suspect who dropped his cellphone which started a chain of events in which the Police were able to identify him as the suspect in both cases. He is an ex-marine, Harvard Graduate and at one time practiced law.

I'm providing some links, enjoy!

March 24 Early details of event Denise Huskins, California woman, kidnapped, possibly being held for ransom, police say - CBS News

March 26 Police state that it might be a hoax Denise Huskins Found Safe, Police Eyeing Her and Boyfriend in Kidnapping Hoax : People.com

March 27 The victim and her boyfriend retain an attorney Boyfriend of Woman in Vallejo Kidnapping ‘Hoax’ Is Innocent Victim, His Attorneys Say | KTLA

April 1 Kidnapper demands apology from Police Purported kidnappers want apology from California police

April 7 Details of the emails Mysteries deepen in Vallejo-to-Huntington Beach kidnapping case - The Orange County Register

Today - Suspect arrested in Vallejo Case Harvard-trained attorney arrested in Vallejo kidnapping | News - KCRA Home

Link to FBI affadavit: http://www.kcra.com/blob/view/-/3413...ent-071315.pdf

You just couldn't make this up if you tried!

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-13-2015 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 PM

158 posts, read 200,178 times
Do we think the victim was part of it at first to steal from her bf. I only ask because the invasion is detailed but you hear nothing of her 2 day ordeal with them.

Now I don't expect to hear everything. But I would think some information could have been let out. How close does suspect live near the home. It just seems like a far travel for a home invasion but then she is left in so cal. Jmo. Plus there were several more guys but one let her go 2 days later.

Was a rape kit done. Or did she say that she wasn't raped. Now I hope she wasn't. But something is missing here. Jmo

Old 07-14-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
Do we think the victim was part of it at first to steal from her bf. I only ask because the invasion is detailed but you hear nothing of her 2 day ordeal with them.

Now I don't expect to hear everything. But I would think some information could have been let out. How close does suspect live near the home. It just seems like a far travel for a home invasion but then she is left in so cal. Jmo. Plus there were several more guys but one let her go 2 days later.

Was a rape kit done. Or did she say that she wasn't raped. Now I hope she wasn't. But something is missing here. Jmo
Everyone thought that she was involved from the start including the cops, but it's not looking like that now. She went to a hospital in Napa and they did a rape exam but she said the suspect wore a condom, so the rape kit was 'inconclusive' . When she ended up being released in Huntington Beach, where her father lives, everyone following the case did a lot of eye rolling, "oh yeah this guy kidnaps her for $8,500 ransom and then drives her to Southern California and lets her go...sure" - that's when locals started calling it the 'gone girl' case, it just sounded too crazy to be real.

As far as other suspects, I don't think there ever were any, when the suspect is in the residence the victims hear him talking to other people who he claims are his 'partners' but they never see them, sounds to me like he was pretending he had accomplices to make it less likely that they would fight back.

The suspect lives in South Lake Tahoe around 160 miles from Vallejo. The suspects mother lives in Orangevale (near Sac) probably 50 miles from Vallejo but his mother stated that he stays in her house in South Lake Tahoe 'most of the time'. And I get what you're saying about why would he travel that far to do this unless he knew her, but the other home invasion he committed was in Dublin which is 188 miles from South Lake Tahoe and it was very weird, just like the Vallejo case, except in Dublin the male resident fought back and chased the suspect who dropped his phone on the way out- that's how they ID'd him. With all the bizarre planning that went into these cases, maybe he thought it would be safer for him to commit crimes far from his home, it's hard to say- or maybe he saw these women on facebook and became obsessed with them and tracked them down?

The planning and the weird things this guy did, like putting goggles on the girl and putting headphones on the boyfriend playing "soothing music" and then taking the victim's blood pressure, that's scary it's almost ritualistic and sounds psycho enough that if this guy hadn't been stopped I'm thinking he might have been on his way to being a serial killer.

Read the FBI affadavit, it has all these details in it and it's absolutely fascinating. (In the affadavit, "Victim F" refers to the female victim "Victim M" to the male victim, and UNSUB(S) refers to unknown subject or subjects (suspects) Also mentioned in the affadavit is that the suspect in this case was also a suspect in a 2009 Palo Alto CA burglary, threats, robbery & attempted sexual assault but no arrest had been made).

Old 07-14-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Everyone thought that she was involved from the start including the cops, but it's not looking like that now. She went to a hospital in Napa and they did a rape exam but she said the suspect wore a condom, so the rape kit was 'inconclusive' . When she ended up being released in Huntington Beach, where her father lives, everyone following the case did a lot of eye rolling, "oh yeah this guy kidnaps her for $8,500 ransom and then drives her to Southern California and lets her go...sure" - that's when locals started calling it the 'gone girl' case, it just sounded too crazy to be real.

As far as other suspects, I don't think there ever were any, when the suspect is in the residence the victims hear him talking to other people who he claims are his 'partners' but they never see them, sounds to me like he was pretending he had accomplices to make it less likely that they would fight back.

The suspect lives in South Lake Tahoe around 160 miles from Vallejo. The suspects mother lives in Orangevale (near Sac) probably 50 miles from Vallejo but his mother stated that he stays in her house in South Lake Tahoe 'most of the time'. And I get what you're saying about why would he travel that far to do this unless he knew her, but the other home invasion he committed was in Dublin which is 188 miles from South Lake Tahoe and it was very weird, just like the Vallejo case, except in Dublin the male resident fought back and chased the suspect who dropped his phone on the way out- that's how they ID'd him. With all the bizarre planning that went into these cases, maybe he thought it would be safer for him to commit crimes far from his home, it's hard to say- or maybe he saw these women on facebook and became obsessed with them and tracked them down?

The planning and the weird things this guy did, like putting goggles on the girl and putting headphones on the boyfriend playing "soothing music" and then taking the victim's blood pressure, that's scary it's almost ritualistic and sounds psycho enough that if this guy hadn't been stopped I'm thinking he might have been on his way to being a serial killer.

Read the FBI affadavit, it has all these details in it and it's absolutely fascinating. (In the affadavit, "Victim F" refers to the female victim "Victim M" to the male victim, and UNSUB(S) refers to unknown subject or subjects (suspects) Also mentioned in the affadavit is that the suspect in this case was also a suspect in a 2009 Palo Alto CA burglary, threats, robbery & attempted sexual assault but no arrest had been made).
You my friend has definitely done your homework. Good job. So he does seem like a sex predator who preys on couples in northern cal.

This is definitely a Criminal Minds episode. Plus he drugged the boyfriend. Omg. Very strange suspect in deed. I think you're right about him facebook stalking first. With a twist of finding it more exciting to kidnap them while they are with their bf.

This guy was a brazen loon with a fake gun and ambition. I hope they give him life.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
You my friend has definitely done your homework. Good job. So he does seem like a sex predator who preys on couples in northern cal.

This is definitely a Criminal Minds episode. Plus he drugged the boyfriend. Omg. Very strange suspect in deed. I think you're right about him facebook stalking first. With a twist of finding it more exciting to kidnap them while they are with their bf.

This guy was a brazen loon with a fake gun and ambition. I hope they give him life.
Right now he's facing charges in two different Counties, Solano and Alameda. The sentence for just the kidnapping charge in California is life with the possibility of parole, but that sentence would only begin when he was done serving his term for the burglary, rape, robbery, charges in both of the cases, which would probably add up to 20+ years if run consecutively. So I don't think he will ever get out of prison.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-14-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Right now he's facing charges in two different Counties, Solano and Alameda. The sentence for just the kidnapping charge in California is life with the possibility of parole, but that sentence would only begin when he was done serving his term for the burglary, rape, robbery, charges in both of the cases, which would probably add up to 20+ years if run consecutively. So I don't think he will ever get out of prison.
Agree. But California does have a way of doing concurrent with perps only doing a portion. But since LE dropped the ball. The judge just may run the consecutive. Agree.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Agree. But California does have a way of doing concurrent with perps only doing a portion. But since LE dropped the ball. The judge just may run the consecutive. Agree.
I don't think any judge is going to want to have the blood on their hands if this guy got out and did something even worse, and I think he's perfectly capable of murder.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I don't think any judge is going to want to have the blood on their hands if this guy got out and did something even worse, and I think he's perfectly capable of murder.
He had it all. What the heck happened? Lawyer with home in Lake Tahoe. But he gets fired for taking money but not filing or doing the paperwork for someones green card. Plus I'm sure there was other issues as well. Wth. This guy is a nut. And I'm sure there is other victims out there.

But I'm still baffled where he had the victim for 2 days. I hope he just pleads guilty. But it seems like she was fortunate enough to get him to drop her off near dads house. I guess he didn't want the money after all. Or he knew that it was too risky. May God bless that woman and the other victims as well.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM

Two new articles about the case

They searched a storage shed in Vallejo and seized five drones, remote controls, video cameras and other items linked to Muller from a self-storage unit he rented in Vallejo. Orangevale

This one addresses Vallejo PD's claim that the crime was a hoax Vallejo police address 'Gone Girl' kidnapping they'd called a hoax | abc7news.com

Old 07-15-2015, 11:49 AM

Great read. I seen this story on gma this morning. Btw. An insanity defense just may work. He was losing it big time. Jmo. But he still needs to be locked up for life before he kills next time. Jmo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime