Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:19 AM

7,635 posts, read 8,705,627 times

Advertisements

Year 1945. The children had been playing earlier, then the home was on fire. After the fire, 5 children were nowhere to be found, no bodies, remains, or bones. 20+ years later, a picture was received by the family with the name of one of the children and inexplicable codes. True mystery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodder..._disappearance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 10:23 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Well lets hope the children are ok... They would still be alive now right? (Older but might still be here)

Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
I seem to recall an Unsolved Mysteries on a case very similar to this.. But.. I think that case, the three kids were found after the fire, but all had supposed bullet wounds..

that ring any bells with anyone? I'm probably getting the details wrong, but.. Very similar to this case.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:21 AM

258 posts, read 299,639 times
I recently listened to a podcast all about this case. It was pretty interesting:

Stuff You Missed in History Class - The Disappearance of the Sodder Children | Listen via Stitcher Radio On Demand

Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
The parents bulldozing down the house before investigators could dig through the rubble, speaks loudly of what probably happened.

The kids died in the fire, I have no doubts.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 PM

105 posts, read 95,907 times
I thought I read osmewhere that they found a bone in the rubble

Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 PM

7,635 posts, read 8,705,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
The parents bulldozing down the house before investigators could dig through the rubble, speaks loudly of what probably happened.

The kids died in the fire, I have no doubts.
What could be the motive of the parents to bulldoze down the house?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
What could be the motive of the parents to bulldoze down the house?
Quote:
Aftermath[edit]

The chief told George Sodder to leave the site undisturbed so the state fire marshal's office could conduct a more thorough investigation. But after four days he and his wife could not bear the sight anymore, so George bulldozed 5 feet (1.5 m) of dirt over the site with the intention of converting it to a memorial garden for the lost children.

I question the reason WHY they bulldozed the site. IF they really wanted answers, they would have left it alone. Since they did NOT (leave it alone before investigation), it appears to me that they were trying to hide something, or obstruct the investigation. Bulldozing the site seems to be very fishy to me, and only somebody trying to cover-up what really happened would be likely to do so.

It's possible that the fire was so hot, there was next to nothing left of the kids, (but some ash-y bones) and the bulldozing destroyed what little chance they had of proving the remains were still right there.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Ya sadly your probably right

Old 05-21-2016, 07:11 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
I read more about this case since the initial thread was posted. It is very strange. It is true that the family bulldozed it a week after the fire. They didn't think anyone was coming back and they couldn't bear to look at it. They did plant the garden and the site was later dug up again and looked through. They found a bone but it was not a match for any of the children. They fire chief also was said to have found a "heart" at the site that he put in a tin can and buried. The chief along with the family dug it up together. The family had it looked at by experts and turns out it was a calf liver and had never been in a fire.

The "experts" ruled the fire to be an electrical fire but the family noted that the Christmas tree lights as well as other lights in the house were still on as the fire was raging. If it was electrical in nature the lights would have gone out. The ladder that was always resting on the side of their house was missing and found in ravine nearby later. Neither of the cars would start. The phone line had been cut. Witnesses reported seeing someone throwing "balls of fire" at the house on the night of the fire.

Sometime after the fire the dad thought he saw a photo of their youngest daughter in a magazine doing ballet at a school in NY. He wrote a letter to the school and when they didn't respond he drove to NY to try and see the girl as he and other family members were convinced that it was her. They never got anything out of that visit as he was not allowed to see the girl. The family also got a photo in the mail years later of a man who looked just like their oldest with his name written on the back.

The billboard at the house site remained up until the father died. The mother eventually took it down. They still have family trying to find answers.

Very strange story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime