Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times

Advertisements

"On October 31, 1975, the bludgeoned body of 15-year-old Martha Moxley was found under a tree in the yard of her family's Greenwich, Connecticut, estate. She had been beaten to death with a golf club that was later identified as one that belonged to the late Anne Skakel.
Tommy and Michael Skakel, then teenage friends of Martha, were suspects at the time, but no arrests were made. After the book, "Murder in Greenwich" by Mark Fuhrman was published, Michael Skakel was indicted for the murder of Martha Moxley and convicted in June 2002, mostly on statements he made to others while in rehab."
The Appeals of Michael Skakel
The Murder of Martha Moxley
By Charles Montaldo, About.com Guide

Michael Skakel Loses Another Appeal

Does everyone remember this case?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 AM

26,714 posts, read 26,776,017 times
I don't remember when it happened but I do recall reading about it when Skakel was convicted. What a horrible crime. Those Skakel kids were brought up to do whatever they wanted (sorry, but just as their mother was brought up, despite later being RFK's wife), without ever dealing with consequences for their actions.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 AM

I too remember it was a horrible crime and the Moxley family waited for years for someone to be charged and convicted. I vaguely recall a movie on Lifetime [at least I think it was Lifetime] and one of the officers investigating believed it was Skakel too -another officer let him go and/or steered the investigation to some others - one reason was because of who the family was and not believing that it would have been Michael and/or there was pressure put on that officer not to pursue that avenue.

No one should be above the law and unfortunately too many are above the law - one's status should not affect investigations, charges and the like and we all know too well that it is way too common.

It is unjust to the victim, the victim's family and to society.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
I remember reading about the story. It's horrible her family had to wait so many years before Michael confessed to what he did and was convicted. He should never get out.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I don't understand why Skakel is appealing now when he turned himself in in the first place -- eons too late for the Moxley family of course.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM

I found this site and read this vignette - I don't understand - first, he confessed - second, he is expounding about his loss of his liberty, his child and his good reputation - hmmm, and what about the Moxleys?

They have disparaged me for the past 10 years, deprived me of my liberty and my child, my freedom, my good reputation, and I don't understand their motivation in trying to take my attorneys from me," Skakel said.

Read more: Skakel's Maine boarding school to shutter - GreenwichTime

Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 AM

I don't know if there is, or is not, a family gene that can be passed down through generations - I don't know, rather, if there may be a propensity for criminal behavior rather than, perhaps, a way of life among some families and/or elites that believe they are above the law, or their societal positions can get them out of situations - I am sociologists and therapists and researches discuss this often and no doubt disagree as well [smile].

Although not specifically connected with this case but rather picking up what has been mentioned within the thread re: Kennedy family, tragedies, crimes, etc., did anyone ever read the Dark Side of Camelot [http://bztv.typepad.com/Winter/DarkSideSummary.pdf]
which was written by Seymour Hersh..quite the book and in some parts, pretty shocking, even to me.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,395 times
Yes, I remember. The late Dominick Dunne kept the case alive and I believe he wrote a book about the case.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
I hope he is never released. Moxley was another sad victim of the male Kennedy's sociopathic sense of entitlement.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 AM

I remember Law and Order had a show which was [although allegedly cases are "fiction" --based on some Westlaw cases] - pretty identical to this case - and w/same results...confession in AA meeting or something of that sort - ultimately resulting, at a conference w/DA and offender's attorney - making a deal and offender confessing - got 15 to life [in Law and Order]...same parallels and similar arrogance -

I still don't understand how Skakel can claim his innocence after his admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime