Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 04:54 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,155,815 times

Advertisements

Extradition hearing is done. I didn't know that was just to prove that the person they are trying to extradite is the person on the warrant. Strange that Lori is contesting that.

Her lawyer was complaining to the judge that the arrest appeared to be a made-for-media event, and the look of exasperation on Lori's face made me want to whack her upside the head. She acted as though the judge felt sorry for her.

They tried to get bail down to 10k, but the judge confirmed it at 5 million. The prosecutor there asked for no bail, so I felt that was a fair compromise.

The extradition hearing is March 3, I think, so she's stuck in jail for a long time unless they can come up with 500K. I wonder if she'll change her mind and decide to waive extradition?

If you decide to watch the video, the audio doesn't work for the first minute.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...-before-judge/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 06:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell are going to walk on this case unless the police get a confession out of them. This is going to go exactly like the Casey Anthony case, which is a damn shame because these people are all guilty as sin.

The police's only hope is to find the best FBI interviewer they can find and hope one of them cracks.

If this case goes the way of Casey Anthony which I m not sure it will but if it does , they cant escape what is waiting for them on the other side of this life I can guarantee you that .

Old 02-22-2020, 07:32 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
If this case goes the way of Casey Anthony which I m not sure it will but if it does , they cant escape what is waiting for them on the other side of this life I can guarantee you that .
I'm not too confident with the area. There's a missing boy DeOrr Kunz Jr. They haven't done anything about his case; but then again their doing something here, so we'll see

Old 02-22-2020, 12:05 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Extradition hearing is done. I didn't know that was just to prove that the person they are trying to extradite is the person on the warrant. Strange that Lori is contesting that.

Her lawyer was complaining to the judge that the arrest appeared to be a made-for-media event, and the look of exasperation on Lori's face made me want to whack her upside the head. She acted as though the judge felt sorry for her.

They tried to get bail down to 10k, but the judge confirmed it at 5 million. The prosecutor there asked for no bail, so I felt that was a fair compromise.

The extradition hearing is March 3, I think, so she's stuck in jail for a long time unless they can come up with 500K. I wonder if she'll change her mind and decide to waive extradition?

If you decide to watch the video, the audio doesn't work for the first minute.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...-before-judge/
March 2 is only about 10 days away. That isn't a very long time at all, but it's enough to get her extradited back to Idaho. She can fight the extradition, but there's enough evidence that the court would order her back even if she did.

Chad has money; his book series all sell very well, but even so, $500,000 bond money is probably too much for him to gather (or want to) in a lump sum. Residuals and royalties on his books come in dribs and drabs, enough for a pretty good middle-class existence, but not more than that. The pair abandoned about everything they owned when they left Idaho, so they had a lot of living expenses afterwards.

But given her ability to escape and vanish, common sense says she's better off back on the continental US than stuck on the island. That tells me she probably won't fight the extradition.

I'm sure Lori will take off and flee in a split-second if she gets the opportunity. She has already done it a bunch of times. I hope her bond in Idaho will be as high; if she ever gets loose, she could go anywhere in the country and could never be found again.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I spent some time looking at the Anthony case and some others, and came to the conclusion it is not all that hard to get away with murder when it's inside a family.

Traditional hard evidence is much harder to obtain, because everyone in a family is leaving evidence all over the place, and it's all related. Hard to separate.

Circumstantial evidence and testimony are better at conviction, but the circumstances have to be rock solid, with no other possibilities, which is very tough. And if no family member is willing to testify, or if there is nothing a family member can testify to, more often than not a murderer can go free.

The other thing about these murders is the immense cost they carry. The more complications, the higher the costs of investigation.

The Anthony case cost the Florida county $5 million dollars.
Since every county prosecutor has a yearly budget to work with, that single case's cost meant there were a bunch of much easier crimes to convict went un-tried and the perps were never punished.

This case, however, is not the same as Anthony's. Idaho has clear evidence that the missing kids were neglected and abandoned. Dead or alive, those crimes each carry a 14-year felony sentence that can send Lori Vallow Daybell to prison for 28 years.

When the other charges also stack up, she could easily spend close to 40 years in prison. That's a lot of leverage the state has, and it can be applied to learn what happened to the missing kids.

There are also valid questions into the deaths of Chad Daybell's first wife and Lori's dead brother. These could both bring further charges down on her and her husband.

Casey Anthony had none of this stuff. It was a much different case, a much simpler case, and one that did not have such a long time span.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:33 PM

10 days is a very long time for a goddess to sit in jail, especially when she expected to be out on bail immediately. Her attorney asked to have the hearing on Monday (2 days or so in jail) if they couldn't get the bail reduced. The judge refused, so Lori's sitting there knowing she didn't win one thing she was asking for, which hopefully makes that 10 days seem even longer.

She is fighting the extradition. That's why she's sitting in a jail on Kauai for 10 days. That's how long the prosecutor says it will take to get the governor's warrant and all his witnesses together in order to get her back to Idaho.

If she had waived extradition, she'd be on her way back now.

I agree, I hope she's not able to get her bond lowered when she gets back to Rexburg. She'll be gone, and Chad might be dead.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:43 PM

The Rexburg police released some CCTV security footage from the storage building were Lori rented a unit.

When the unit was opened and examined by the police in December, all that was in it were bikes, clothes and other items of the 2 missing children. No furniture or anything general.

The footage showed Lori and her now-dead brother Alex Cox entering and leaving the unit several times. In one shot, Cox was seen lugging an obviously heavy container outside, and in others, the bikes could be clearly seen coming inside. An outside CCTV camera caught the pickup truck that belonged to Charles Vallow, Lori's estranged husband, the guy Cox shot to death.

Cox apparently lived with his sister off and on in Arizona and in Idaho.

Somehow, Cox was allowed to appropriate the pickup, and he drove it until his own death in December. Lori owned a Nissan Rogue, and it hasn't been found.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...ildrens-items/

My personal conclusion is the kids are probably dead. Cox was Lori's willing henchman, and he is their probable killer, and he's dead too. Lori won't ever confess, and she may not even know where the bodies are or any of the details.

But I'm pretty sure the evidence of abandonment and neglect are strong enough to send her to prison for 28 years and more, if all the misdemeanors carry other sentences on top of those two big ones. So she won't be going Scot-free like Casey Anthony.

Now, I'm wondering what is coming for Chad Daybell. I believe it was Cox who threatened his dead first wife with a gun just before her mysterious death, but I honestly don't know how involved Chad was.

Chad could be anything from a naive shlub who was seduced by a black widow and didn't know a thing, to the single mastermind of the entire plot.

As a novelist, he had the skill to create a complicated scenario for sure. His doomsday series of books are full of very dark and nasty business. Chad may appear to be a rather meek, mild LDS guy, but evil resides in the mind. And it's known Chad was discontented in his life and in his work. He also relished being the leader of something much more exciting than sitting at home writing. He was a star in his little group of believers, the guy of action and the one who knew it all. The real leader of something. That's gotta be gratifying to a 50-year old guy at a dead end in his life.

Or, Chad could be somewhere in-between, where he knew close to nothing at first, but now knows almost everything, but is so entangled he can't tell what he knows or it's prison for him too.

Lori was definitely infatuated with Chad first, and she put him in her sights and caught him. But if Chad was extremely unhappy in his marriage and wanted out, Lori was a willing accomplice with a brother who was willing to go to deadly violence.

If all that needed was a good murder plan for a guy submerged in the middle-aged crazies who wanted to change up his life, Chad may have had the vision. And in Lori, he had the means for action he could never commit himself.

It is going to be very interesting to watch what happens to Daybell. There is more to him than his appearance displays.

Last edited by banjomike; 02-22-2020 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-22-2020, 07:41 PM

377 posts, read 381,992 times
The good news about having a pathological liar get convicted is that they are never, ever going to admit the truth and therefore they are very unlikely to get paroled.

People like Lori Vallow would rather stay in prison for 50 years than admit that they are a murderer.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:14 PM

Melani P is Lori's niece. Her ex husband, Boudreaux, reported to police that there was an attempt made on his life last fall after Charles V was murdered. Now he's saying that Melani knows where JJ and Tylee are.

It's hard to put stock in what an ex husband says, especially when they're in a custody battle. However, Melani's new husband Ian told police that Boudreaux’s ex-wife says “sometimes (the) children are full of light and then just like that they go dark.” They've only been married less than 6 months, so it's unlikely that it's gone so bad already that Ian is lying about his wife.

Ian also apparently said Melani admitted having knowledge of the attempted hit on her ex. For some reason she thought that since Alex Cox, who was the shooter, is dead, that means she's released from responsibility according to the linked story. She sounds pretty naive.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...urt-documents/

Old 02-26-2020, 05:39 PM

This afternoon, Lori appealed the 5 million bond that was set last week. She got a new lawyer, but the judge still affirmed the 5 million, so she gave up fighting extradition and will be returned to Idaho post haste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime