Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 AM

580 posts, read 1,083,414 times

Advertisements

That's messed up. Public urination being a sex crime, that is. I mean if it's in a well populated area it might be called public indecency, sure. But sex crime? Really shouldn't be, because, well, it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,943,396 times
Law applies in Nevada as well...personally I don't know of many people who urinate it public. I associate that with someone with NO CLASS!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,989,177 times
It really depends on where you were peeing. If you were peeing facing a busy intersection during the day, that will land you public indecency and public urination. If you are peeing next to your car at night by yourself, that will land you public urination which is NOT a serious crime. It is similiar to a traffic ticket.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,409 times
Urination is not sex. To have public urination listed as a sex crime requiring registration as a sex offender is absolutely ridiculous.

Imagine this scenario... In 2000, a college student who had too much to drink is 'caught' peeing behind his frat house while under the cover of bushes when the line to the bathrooms were too long for him to hold it. Nobody witnessed this act. Nobody saw him urinate. When walking back to the front door, he is questioned by a passing officer. Offender stated exactly what he did and was issued a ticket. Twenty years later, as a family man raising 2 children in a different state, a neighbor decides to open a daycare center out of her home. Background checks are done in the neighborhood and the man who peed in the woods behind his frathouse shows up as a sex offender. A judge sees the petition and ORDERS this man to sell his home move his family including two young children into a neighborhood of sex offenders.

This is not a stretch of the imagination, this is a true story. If Bill Clinton can argue that getting his willie sucked is not sex, then how is urination a sexual offense?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
It really depends on where you were peeing. If you were peeing facing a busy intersection during the day, that will land you public indecency and public urination. If you are peeing next to your car at night by yourself, that will land you public urination which is NOT a serious crime. It is similiar to a traffic ticket.
Unfortunately this is not accurate.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,031,587 times
You can crap in someones yard as a postman and still keep your job, I couldnt believe this. Some union contract eh?

Mailman suspended for defecating in yard on route - US news - Weird news - msnbc.com

The postal worker was never fired, and issued a new route.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM

30,373 posts, read 23,840,056 times
For crying out loud, what is wrong with some of these states? Urinating in public is disgusting, it can be punished as public indecency but to call it a sex crime is way over the top and about as stupid as I've heard coming out of California...which is saying a lot.

As someone mentioned earlier, it is NOT the same thing as molesting or raping a child or an adult. Not even close.

The problem with this is, just like the word, "abuse", when it's overused for things that are not "abuse", or in this case, an actual crime involving SEX, eventually "sex offender" will not have the same punch behind it.

Example, before everyone started throwing the word, "abuse" around, when someone said the child suffered from abuse, you can be sure that child went through something horrific. Now "abuse" can mean someone spanked their child. Sorry, no, NOT the same thing.

To have someone arrested as a sex offender because they urinated in public, something that will affect them the rest of their lives, something that will carry a stigma, is reprehensible.

Give them the indecency violation and be done with it. If they want it to be tougher and mean more, then raise the price on that ticket.

What is interesting to me, I lived in Germany for three years. For males, as long as their back was to "traffic" or public, they were allowed to urinate in public. Again, I find it gross but that's just me...I'm sure they must be laughing at the state of CA right now...the ones who love to apologize to the Europeans for being so American...yet they come up with this stupid law.

(Disclaimer: This is not to say that all those who live in California are this ridiculous...I'm actually mocking the law makers...and senators and representatives and mayors and governors...and some of the people, not all.)

Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,031,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
For crying out loud, what is wrong with some of these states? Urinating in public is disgusting, it can be punished as public indecency but to call it a sex crime is way over the top and about as stupid as I've heard coming out of California...which is saying a lot.
Stupid in cali is saving the gold fish, yet they have a sushi bar on every corner.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,272,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post

As someone mentioned earlier, it is NOT the same thing as molesting or raping a child or an adult. Not even close.

The problem with this is, just like the word, "abuse", when it's overused for things that are not "abuse", or in this case, an actual crime involving SEX, eventually "sex offender" will not have the same punch behind it.

Example, before everyone started throwing the word, "abuse" around, when someone said the child suffered from abuse, you can be sure that child went through something horrific. Now "abuse" can mean someone spanked their child. Sorry, no, NOT the same thing.

To have someone arrested as a sex offender because they urinated in public, something that will affect them the rest of their lives, something that will carry a stigma, is reprehensible.

Give them the indecency violation and be done with it. If they want it to be tougher and mean more, then raise the price on that ticket.

What is interesting to me, I lived in Germany for three years. For males, as long as their back was to "traffic" or public, they were allowed to urinate in public. Again, I find it gross but that's just me...I'm sure they must be laughing at the state of CA right now...the ones who love to apologize to the Europeans for being so American...yet they come up with this stupid law.

(Disclaimer: This is not to say that all those who live in California are this ridiculous...I'm actually mocking the law makers...and senators and representatives and mayors and governors...and some of the people, not all.)
Nice rant but has it occurred to you that there is no California statute against public urination outside?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 AM

37,159 posts, read 42,313,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeDobyDo View Post
Urination is not sex. To have public urination listed as a sex crime requiring registration as a sex offender is absolutely ridiculous.

Imagine this scenario... In 2000, a college student who had too much to drink is 'caught' peeing behind his frat house while under the cover of bushes when the line to the bathrooms were too long for him to hold it. Nobody witnessed this act. Nobody saw him urinate. When walking back to the front door, he is questioned by a passing officer. Offender stated exactly what he did and was issued a ticket. Twenty years later, as a family man raising 2 children in a different state, a neighbor decides to open a daycare center out of her home. Background checks are done in the neighborhood and the man who peed in the woods behind his frathouse shows up as a sex offender. A judge sees the petition and ORDERS this man to sell his home move his family including two young children into a neighborhood of sex offenders.

This is not a stretch of the imagination, this is a true story. If Bill Clinton can argue that getting his willie sucked is not sex, then how is urination a sexual offense?
True story? Wouln't that make it the year 2020?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime