Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:49 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
On E3---makes me sick to watch
So sad and such dispicable behavior by priests and men they involved directly and the silent involvement to ignore what happened and is still happening
The rntire CC should be charged w/aiding child abuse and supporting a world wide syndicate under RICO statues---
The proof is there if they look but too much power on other sude...
Wait until you get to E7. Very interesting twist they save until last.

I convinced a coworker to watch this over this weekend. I can't wait to hear her impressions. She was raised in the Catholic Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I finished 7 last night--
I have very good friend who was raised in CC and she has a very close friend who is the Mother Superior of an order of nuns in the NY area...
We have talked about this problem before--saw Spotlight together--
And she still goes to Mass faithful on Sunday, observes other Holy Days, tithes---
Wants her grandchildren to be good Catholics--
Frankly I would be afraid to let my child set foot in a Catholic Church...

I thought it was a well-done documentary that certainly showed the evil, dispicable nature of those who want to protect the Church and Church representatives from any taint connected with sexual abuse committed by priests and others...
That there is certainly suggestions that local and state authorities were involved in a conspiracy to participate and to cover up those acts of abuse

I just wondered if anyone else was a little disturbed that all the theories of who was involved in Cathy's murder/coverup and the significance of items like the "wedding bell necklace" were really just speculation...
There was no proof that Cathy bought that necklace when she went out shopping...
Supposedly the police questioned all the shopkeepers in that mall and none of them remembered selling her anything that could be considered an engagement present--

Two points--
Was the letter supposedly found in Koob's apt by the detective a real fact---
He didn't have a search warrant--it could not be taken as evidence--
If he found it, he found it by snooping--
Yet it was a damning piece of evidence against him and the non-sexual relationship which he said he had with Cathy...

What was shown on the screen was not the real letter but a recreation of what it supposedly said...but using that recreation like it WAS a true piece of evidence could be very misleading to some people watching the documentary...
Just because they see someone on the screen does not make it true/factual...

Second point--
Why was there not more made about how Maskell was evicted from the school???
There was a new nun placed in charge and basically she kicked Maskell out the day she arrived...she knew what he was doing and didn't report him to police--which apparently was par for the course---
But why didn't the women running the Sister Cathy investigation and the others involved (the two or three men) do more with other school personnel...like getting info from the nun that kicked Maskell out???
Not everyone connected with the CC WAS an accomplice--
The grounds keeper that helped him buried those boxes told the police--
Should have kept a box of evidence himself...
Personally as a former teacher, there is no way you would allow a student to be taken out of class day after day for long periods of time and not question what was going on....
And how could those young girls come home from school day after day after being raped and their mothers not know something was wrong...
I just can't believe they didn't find evidence on their clothing and their bodies....
I don't doubt it happened---I just can't believe that it could be ignored for years...

Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,376 times
loves2read, you bring up great points. I share your distrust of the CC, and all organized religion for that matter. I think a lot of people that act deeply religious on the surface are in fact sick pieces of trash (as was seen in this doc.), and they're using their religion as a "smoke screen" to cover their sickening behavior. That's why I never have & never will trust most "deeply" religious people. Thankfully I wasn't raised Catholic, and actually wasn't raised in a religious family.

I am not at all surprised by the abuse that happened here. It's been well documented over the years that the CC will cover up these types of crimes. The nuns who taught at the school were probably too afraid of the priest to say anything. And, they were justifiably afraid - given the fact that Sister Cathy's murder was almost certainly committed by someone she knew (and was going to expose).

The parents of the girls were probably too enamored of the CC that they wouldn't have believed the girls if they knew what was going on - and even if they suspected something, they probably looked the other way. That being said, the one male that was interviewed (who was abused by Maskell as a boy) did say his mother went to the school & complained about the priest, which resulted in the priest's being moved to another school - like that was any kind of punishment. This P.O.S. should have been sent to jail and done hard time. I also feel the death penalty would have been fitting for this sorry piece of excrement!

Again, if the climate at the CC were had been more open to exposing these scum-bags instead of trying to protect them, Sister Cathy would have felt more comfortable going to the church authorities & exposing the priest. As it stood, she got all but kicked out of the school after confronting the priest (she had to go teach at a non-religious school the Fall after the girl told her what had happened), and was killed prior to exposing this P.O.S.

Re: the letter, we will probably never know the contents. We also don't know either way if Sister Cathy was pregnant.

I also agree we don't know for sure whether Sister Cathy did indeed buy her sister an engagement present; this is all speculative.

I do believe Sister Cathy was killed because she was getting close to exposing the truth about the priest. I don't necessarily think the priest committed the crime himself, but I do think he had others do to this for him (as was strongly suggested in the doc.).

I do think the priest had a lot of incriminating material in the boxes he was burying in the graveyard, and I also think the city authorities found this, but were covering up for him.

As disturbing as this series was, I do want to watch it again at some point. Though it was stomach-turning at times, it was so well-done & well researched that I'd like to see it again to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time around.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Another aspect of this abuse is that it shows the direct and long-term animosity toward women that many Church representatives have and act on...
The Catholic Church has always viewed women in a subordinate role to men
At one time it was very active in adapting Christian writings--the Bible and other religious leaders--to create a framework of anti-women agenda...including witch trials in the Old World and the New...

That attitude is not true for every religion--but religions that are "traditional/conservative" philosophies do espouse the beliefs that put women in a bad light--that she is the seducer, that she represents evil that threatens the religious connection taking men out of sanctity...

You can see this in conservative Islamic beliefs/actions, in conservative Christians as well as conservative aspects of Catholicism...
It becomes a weapon to use to subjugate females to males, to restrict their power in almost every area of life...

And when you watch The Keepers you can see the methodology in operation---

Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 AM

461 posts, read 796,491 times
I didn't understand the conflicting theories that Sr. Russell was in the apartment waiting for Cathy or that the guy from downstairs killed Cathy in the apartment and rolled her up in a rug..don't they cancel each other out?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Exactly---and yet the story that Cathy's body was rolled in a rug and moved is given as much credence in establishing the guilt of one of the suspects as Russell's statement to the police that she was in the apt all evening...

You can't have two opposite statements equally accurate...

And remember the person giving the statement about the rug was a younger boy/nephew of one of the suspects who was never questioned at the time CATHY disappeared, who never came forward until he was an adult and apparently made a phone call to some tip line--but not to the police directly...

There are many statements like this that are just taken at face value---
That does not happen in a court of law...or at least testimony like that is ranked as to the credibility of the person giving it...

I give the women credit for going to all this trouble, trying to find useable proof of who killed CATHY and the sexual abuse Maskell was committing w/others...
But there is really almost nothing that is viabily useful as evidence...
Much hearsay, almost no police evidence is still available---
Likely because the police destroyed evidence that could be used against Maskell and the church re the abuse----and not so much the murder...

Did the police do a crap job investigating this crime--
Yes
Were some police involved in the sexual abuse of young girls--even though that only has personal testimony of the girls to back it up---
yes, because it has been proven time and again in other locations that police can be just as corrupt as any criminal...

Therefore it seems likely the police had a personal interest in protecting Maskell and not revealing his abuse history...

Will this crime ever be solved--
Not unless someone has a "come to Jesus" moment and makes a death-bed confession and I think that is very unlikely to happen because of the ages of those who were in Cathy/Maskell's circles originally...

Old 06-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
I didn't understand the conflicting theories that Sr. Russell was in the apartment waiting for Cathy or that the guy from downstairs killed Cathy in the apartment and rolled her up in a rug..don't they cancel each other out?
Not necessarily. The way it was presented in the doc., my impression was that Cathy died & was removed from the apt. prior to Sister Cathy's "almost boyfriend" (the priest who was in love with her) being called to the apartment.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:36 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,648,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Not necessarily. The way it was presented in the doc., my impression was that Cathy died & was removed from the apt. prior to Sister Cathy's "almost boyfriend" (the priest who was in love with her) being called to the apartment.
I think the "almost boyfriend" was in fact her boyfriend...Cathy wrote to him about being late with her period and wanting him inside her...I don't think she was implying that it would be the first time but rather I'm not pregnant and want you again...that being said I believe he was not a great preistbut not a murderer...

Old 06-08-2017, 10:12 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
I'm so sorry to anybody that has had this done to them, having said that~ it is not ONLY in the catholic churches folks. It is in all religions, schools, neighborhoods, countries some of it just never gets told about. Please don't get on a witch hunt bandwagon mentality towards the catholic church & no I am NOT catholic.

Corruption breeds more corruptions, lies lead to more lies I just don't understand how guilty folks can look themselves in the mirror. How they won't let the survivors have peace and shame on the Archdiocese for keeping the "secrets of the fathers" after all these years. Sins done in darkness always come to the light why be party to keeping them in the darkness?

I felt this series was drug out to long this could have been told in a 3 part series IMO. I fast forwarded through some of the redundant stuff. May the innocent rest in peace.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I'm so sorry to anybody that has had this done to them, having said that~ it is not ONLY in the catholic churches folks. It is in all religions, schools, neighborhoods, countries some of it just never gets told about. Please don't get on a witch hunt bandwagon mentality towards the catholic church & no I am NOT catholic.
Agree to some extent. The JS case in PA is an example of a educational system that "covered up" the activities of a scum bag who was associated with them.

However, the CC especially has a long history of "covering up" these crimes by not punishing the priests involved, and just moving them around to different schools - as was illustrated in "The Keepers". It appears to me that the CC are the worst offendor(s) here...and, even if they're not, they've definitely gotten the most negative exposure for this heinous behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime