Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 AM

65 posts, read 143,427 times

Advertisements

I have taken my classes to take my real estate license test here in Pennsylvania. I am currently studying to take the test.

I've looked at the Arizona Real Estate Commission website a few times, and I am not really finding the info I'm looking for. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places....

If I am able to relocate my family to Tucson, will I have to take my classes over again? Will I have to take the national test & the state test? Or just the state? (This is all assuming I will get my license here first)

I know the housing market in Arizona has been hit pretty hard. Is it even a good idea for me to try to get my family out there possibly being dependent on my job as a realtor? My hubby will be working, and has been trying to find a job in Tucson for almost 2 years. I'm thinking he might find something if he was actually there..and not here in PA.

Any thoughts on new realtors in this housing market? Are they struggling? Are established realtors struggling?

Anything else you can tell me is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM

68 posts, read 208,119 times
As far as getting your license from Arizona, I believe you are going to have to go to school again to take your Arizona test. Since you are taking your Pa. test along with the national, you should be good with not having to take the national.

I have been a licensed Realtor for almost 3 years now and mostly all realtors are struggling. I have some months where I sell 2-3 and some where I don't. The newer agents are struggling due to them trying to find their clients and finding a good system which works. Most established Realtors already have their circle of where to find clients.

I do have some investors clients that buy foreclosed homes, but I sell mostly new home sales.

Good luck with your decision to move to Tucson.

Michael

Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 PM

68 posts, read 208,119 times
By the way, I am originally from Philly, which city are you from?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynesWife View Post
Is it even a good idea for me to try to get my family out there possibly being dependent on my job as a realtor?
I don't think so.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 AM

TAGS70- I am close to Pittsburgh.

SierraAZ-Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynesWife View Post
SierraAZ-Thanks for your reply.
Sorry it's not good news, but that's the reality...

Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sorry it's not good news, but that's the reality...
That's why I'm asking. I don't want to move my whole family and fall flat on my face! Thanks for being brutally honest.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,338,205 times
I moved to Tucson from Pittsburgh four years ago when we all still believed the economic was in reasonable shape. Everyone told me my resume was outstanding -- in addition to holding a responsible corporate position in Pittsburgh, I have also lived and worked in Washington, DC, suburban Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Washington State. "Surely," the locals told me, I would have "no trouble" getting a job in "fast-growing" Pima County.

In fact, it took me one whole year, during which time I was in residence in Tucson, to find a job that was a significant step down from what I was doing in Pittsburgh. It was, however, the only thing I was offered that was a living wage (although only 50% of the salary I was making in Pittsburgh) and full-time so I would get benefits. I held that job for two years and enjoyed it very much -- up until the day the owners declared bankruptcy and every one of the more than 100 people who worked there was sent packing with no severance pay whatsoever. That was a year ago. I have yet to find another position that would get me some health insurance. And I don't mean a fun job, or a job in my field, I mean ANY full-time job.

My financial downfall is compounded by the fact that the lovely home I bought in Tucson has depreciated in value between $75,000 and $100,000, depending on whom is estimating. I know that the wonderful and very experienced Tucson Realtor who helped me acquire said house is still in business, but she has had to take on a second job since she is the sole support of her family.

So you tell me: does moving from Pennsylvania to Arizona to sell real estate when you have no experience here sound like a good idea? I'm really sorry to be such a downer, but this is the truth from someone who has lived the experience. At present, the day-to-day economy is better in Pittsburgh than it is in Tucson (not to mention that the schools are a lot better) and the cost of living is lower where you are in everything except the gas utility bill. (Don't believe me, believe Fortune magazine and the Places Rated Almanac, among other sources.) The weather is much nicer in Tucson, of course, but unfortunately banks don't take sunny days as a mortgage payment.

If your kids are grown, you're a retiree, and you're bringing your money (or self-employment) with you, Tucson is a great idea. Otherwise you're better off deferring your plan for better days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: