Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 08:32 AM

602 posts, read 2,064,451 times

Advertisements

Hotbutton question, I know, but I need to know something about the number of illegals now in Tucson, and how that has impacted crime, quality of life, etc.

I'm moving back to AZ next spring. Lived in Tucson for 2 years back in 96 to 98. Loved every minute of it. Fantastic scenery, great dry weather, wonderful hiking, and a general laid back western feeling that suited me well. Company got bought out and I ended up moving out of state.

My concern is that I know things can change rapidly. When demographics change really fast, it'll surely bring changes to quality of life. Whether that's a good thing or not is really our own personal perspective. I loved Tucson the way it was 10 years ago, and I'd just like someone who's been in Tucson for a long time to comment on how things have changed with the massive influx of illegals in the area.

I'm not trying to start a huge political debate on here; just trying to get some long time Tucsonan's perspectives that will aid me in my decision of where to move. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Hotbutton question, I know, but I need to know something about the number of illegals now in Tucson, and how that has impacted crime, quality of life, etc.

I'm moving back to AZ next spring. Lived in Tucson for 2 years back in 96 to 98. Loved every minute of it. Fantastic scenery, great dry weather, wonderful hiking, and a general laid back western feeling that suited me well. Company got bought out and I ended up moving out of state.

My concern is that I know things can change rapidly. When demographics change really fast, it'll surely bring changes to quality of life. Whether that's a good thing or not is really our own personal perspective. I loved Tucson the way it was 10 years ago, and I'd just like someone who's been in Tucson for a long time to comment on how things have changed with the massive influx of illegals in the area.

I'm not trying to start a huge political debate on here; just trying to get some long time Tucsonan's perspectives that will aid me in my decision of where to move. Thanks.
Well, I've lived here for over 10 years. As far as I'm concerned, not much is different in that respect... I didn't notice them before, I don't notice them now. Tucson is a very segregated city, as you must know if you've lived here.

The car break-in and car theft problems still exist in Tucson, even though I don't think it's necessarily related to this issue. The one unusual thing that happened was a shooting in Park Place - between gang members who knew each other, I believe. There are house break-ins, too. Arizona is doing pretty well in the fraud area as well. I personally just spent this week dealing with the hassle of having to close a checking account and open a new one because a fraudulent check was drawn on it. I write one check a month and that one check happened to be stolen. The account number was printed/pasted... however they do it... on another check which happily went through the ATM even though the data on it had absolutely nothing to do with mine. Nobody checks anything unless a problem arises. It's not a unique AZ problem, though. In any event, your question is basically crime-related, not illegal immigration-related. The look of some facilities (OK, I mean WCs ) seems to be deteriorating - whether it's because of inappropriate use or lack of maintenance... hard to tell. The less expensive stores seem to be frequented by more and more kind of annoying loud crowds... but all that goes along with the customer service this country was famous for going down the drain for a long time... I personally caught only a few years of it and remember them fondly with nostalgia.

Otherwise, Tucson has changed quite a bit - a lot more spread-out, worse traffic, and more (and more upscale) businesses. Some good things that haven't changed: the air is still clean and sky is as blue and picture-perfect as it always has been.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,394 times
the "illegals" issue is everywhere. for the most part they go unseen because most of them are hard workers. thats not the real issue behind "illegals". illegal immigrants put burdens on various core components which support our economics, such as our health system, tax programs, employment programs, etc, etc, and which ultimately the LEGAL citizens have to pay via higher taxes, higher co-pays, etc, etc. illegal immigrants are bad for econimic reasons. one may not like congregational pockets of immigrants, but that alone is harmless, after all they are just people seeking a better life.

bottom line is, illegal is ILLEGAL. here in NY Spitzer is trying to pass a wacky law to allow illegals to get drivers licenses!! his supporters claim it is needed because so many illegals need it so they can get insurance..... well guess what, A DRIVERS LICENSE DOES NOT MEAN ONE HAS CAR INSURANCE !! most likely the illegals (if they were granted a drivers license) would not be able to afford car insurance. the the end result would be a bunch of illegals driving around with a drivers license but with no car insurance, which is once again ILLEGAL !!

Spitzer is a moron on this front.

i'm waiting for and advocating a federal program called "SEEK AND DEPORT". we welcome you, you just have to come here legally.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:30 AM

65 posts, read 222,835 times
I've only lived here eight years, but from my perspective, illegals are not a problem here. I grew up in the CA Central Valley (Bakersfield) and my family is still there, and they are a HUGE problem for them. Every time we visit you can't go anywhere without running into tons of them, and they can be extremely rude.

Here in Tucson, that doesn't happen. I can't remember a negative encounter. I could be wrong, but my theory is the hispanic culture has been a part of Tucson for so long they seamlessly blend in. Or, maybe people are just more laid back here than in California. I live in SE Tucson, so perhaps location has something to do with my experience.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 AM

64 posts, read 263,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW25 View Post
I've only lived here eight years, but from my perspective, illegals are not a problem here. I grew up in the CA Central Valley (Bakersfield) and my family is still there, and they are a HUGE problem for them. Every time we visit you can't go anywhere without running into tons of them, and they can be extremely rude.

Here in Tucson, that doesn't happen. I can't remember a negative encounter. I could be wrong, but my theory is the hispanic culture has been a part of Tucson for so long they seamlessly blend in. Or, maybe people are just more laid back here than in California. I live in SE Tucson, so perhaps location has something to do with my experience.
You're right. And there just aren't that many illegals in Tucson. We're too close to the border for comfort. The Mexicans you see around town here in Tucson are either generations of Mexican Americans or are here on their own merit, not illegally. Vegas, LA, and Phoenix have problems.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haaamean View Post
You're right. And there just aren't that many illegals in Tucson. We're too close to the border for comfort. The Mexicans you see around town here in Tucson are either generations of Mexican Americans or are here on their own merit, not illegally. Vegas, LA, and Phoenix have problems.
That may very well be true... I don't know. And most likely nobody else does really...

Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 PM

64 posts, read 263,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That may very well be true... I don't know. And most likely nobody else does really...
Well wherever they go they're still somewhat on the record. They can acquire rental homes and the services that go with them. Some apartments and services only require proof of income, not a credit check.
From my level of marketing knowledge in Tucson, we don't have many(compared to other cities this size).

Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 AM

602 posts, read 2,064,451 times
Thanks for the info guys. I really, really loved Tucson when I lived there. I think I hiked most of the best trails all over southern AZ. Just a magical place for me. It's reassuring to hear you guys say it hasn't changed much.

I lived in both the NW (right near Oro Valley), and near Kolb and Sunrise (my favorite area of town). I also like the waaay far East (near the end of Speedway... nice trail out there up into the Rincons.)

I was just wondering about that issue. I'm also considering Payson. I know, pretty huge difference between near the Mogollon and Tucson.

Thanks again for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson