Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 PM

41 posts, read 79,432 times

Advertisements

We have seen guns on people's side exposed even in fast food restaurants. Not a common thing, but it happens. A bit weird feeling but it happens. It is the wild, wild west. We own guns too but do not carry in public, there really is no need. It is a part of the culture here, never bothers us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,107 times
Guns are here in Tucson and some people like to advertise them on there hips but not everyone carries them in plain site. I am a gun owner but I respect the gun. As for your political views Tucson is a liberal city and you will fit right in. I am not a liberal, I am a person that will lesson to both sides and way things out but I also have to see proof to make up my mind up. Welcome to Tucson.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:03 AM

710 posts, read 3,392,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp701 View Post
"Not only is open carry legal in Arizona, but so is concealed carry. Permits are not required"
I don't know how long you've been in Arizona, or where you get your information, but "concealed carry" - "DEFINITELY" requires, not only a "permit", but you must also take and pass a "concealed carry course" before you can get one. It's unconscionable to pass ignorant mis-information along to a newcomer and dangerous for you not to know the law.
100% wrong

Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHLauren View Post
New to Tucson. Will I see guns?

First of all, I know there are a lot of firearms in Az. Plenty of people like and use guns regularly. I know it's commonplace for lots of people to be around and use guns. I read western novels, watch the news, have friends who hunt... the whole deal. Guns have their place. But I personally don't like them. This will never change. I don't like being around them. It's wholly unnatural for me and goes against my very soul. I don't put my opinion on others, and my choice to never be around them nor give guns any place in my life is my choice, and my choice alone. But in Tucson, will I see them? Will I be near them? If I make new friends and go to a house party or something, will someone bring one out casually? It that a social norm? If something like that happens, how to I voice that I am uncomfortable? (At this point I just imagine myself sprinting for the door.) Honestly, I'm not scared of much, but having someone tease me for being afraid of guns while a gun is around is my worst nightmare. Are gun owners respectful of non-gun people? What do I need to know?
While I know this does not fit the OP, I have to admit, when I seel this type of post, that opens with, "Will I see guns?" The first thing I think of is, is this person looking to commit a crime?

I live in a blue New England state, and like many New Englanders I envy the gun laws in the South West. Once you have been the victim of a crime, you realize that guns keep you safe. The idea that laws in AZ permit people to be licensed to use guns to defend themselves and their homes is the way every state in this country should be. Criminals love gun restrictions. They love knowing that they can break into a person's house, and they don't have to worry about being shot at, because in most blue states one is not even allowed to defend themselves, their children, their home, or their belongings with a licensed gun.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
"Not only is open carry legal in Arizona, but so is concealed carry. Permits are not required"
I don't know how long you've been in Arizona, or where you get your information, but "concealed carry" - "DEFINITELY" requires, not only a "permit", but you must also take and pass a "concealed carry course" before you can get one. It's unconscionable to pass ignorant mis-information along to a newcomer and dangerous for you not to know the law.
WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG! Get your facts straight!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
While I know this does not fit the OP, I have to admit, when I seel this type of post, that opens with, "Will I see guns?" The first thing I think of is, is this person looking to commit a crime?

I live in a blue New England state, and like many New Englanders I envy the gun laws in the South West. Once you have been the victim of a crime, you realize that guns keep you safe. The idea that laws in AZ permit people to be licensed to use guns to defend themselves and their homes is the way every state in this country should be. Criminals love gun restrictions. They love knowing that they can break into a person's house, and they don't have to worry about being shot at, because in most blue states one is not even allowed to defend themselves, their children, their home, or their belongings with a licensed gun.
no license/permit needed to buy or to CCW in AZ. there are some checks that go on for some purchases like pistols and ar15's, etc. i dont know 100% if AZ law says every FFL has to do these checks or not, but many do them, etc. and of course, no checks for private sales, but its illegal to buy on solicit from other.

Quote:
it used to be like this. AZ law changed "recently". no permit needed to CCW in AZ. if you want a CCW permit to CCW in another state then you need to go through the class and permitting process. i did years ago, and i keep renewing my CCW permit so i can bypass the checks and hold when making certain purchases, and, i can use my CCW in other states.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:20 AM

9 posts, read 16,030 times
I've seen many openly carried guns in Tuscon. I've never seen them in any threatening situation. I think that they've almost become jewelry for some. Each year I lived there (10 years in total) I was reminded of the risk through the death of children who ended up misusing the guns. Is there any choice in the US as far as being away from fire arms? Not really. One good thing about the right to carry in AZ is that you're more likely to know who has the handguns.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
I've seen many openly carried guns in Tuscon. I've never seen them in any threatening situation. I think that they've almost become jewelry for some. Each year I lived there (10 years in total) I was reminded of the risk through the death of children who ended up misusing the guns. Is there any choice in the US as far as being away from fire arms? Not really. One good thing about the right to carry in AZ is that you're more likely to know who has the handguns.
better to CCW. i'd rather not let the bad guy know that i am a potential risk in his/her plans to do something bad. on the flip side, if a bad guy sees you have it they may think twice about committing that crime, but then again, many of these criminals are jacked up and their thinking power is reduced to a rat. i like to CCW.

bottom line, know the pros and cons of each.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
better to CCW. i'd rather not let the bad guy know that i am a potential risk in his/her plans to do something bad. on the flip side, if a bad guy sees you have it they may think twice about committing that crime, but then again, many of these criminals are jacked up and their thinking power is reduced to a rat. i like to CCW.

bottom line, know the pros and cons of each.
I was open carrying once when I walked into the Circle K near the Doubletree, opposite of Reid Park. There was a man inside with a snub revolver holding up the clerk trying to get the money. Interestingly enough, all people inside survived, uninjured, robbery thwarted and badguy went to jail.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM

136 posts, read 261,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
I was open carrying once when I walked into the Circle K near the Doubletree, opposite of Reid Park. There was a man inside with a snub revolver holding up the clerk trying to get the money. Interestingly enough, all people inside survived, uninjured, robbery thwarted and badguy went to jail.

A wonderful story. Could you supply dates etc.? I'd like a copy of an article to show some of my anti-gun friends. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson