Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 AM

687 posts, read 1,945,713 times

Advertisements

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm considering a move down to Tucson to pursue graduate studies and may be looking to purchase a home. I've seen some cool homes listed around Gene Reid in my price range and was wondering about the area. Specifically, my concern is crime & safety. A little sketch doesn't bother me, but I'm looking for a local perspective.

The area I'm looking at is between 18th and 20th from Tucson Blvd to Country Club. My wife has an aunt with a home on Via Guadalupe, so I know that area is very nice but I wonder how much it changes within a few blocks.

Thanks!

Last edited by Robert A; 11-28-2007 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Mixed up Park and Golf Course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 AM

3 posts, read 11,517 times
Hi,
I do not live in Tucson, but I am planning to move there with in a year.
I asked about a house in that general area and my good friend recomemnded against it.
He said it was too close to Ried park.
i trust his jusdgement and looked elsewhere in Tucson.

Check out the link to the Tucson city police.
They have crime maps that might give you a better idea,

TPD Crime Stats

The maps are from 2005 but do give a decent summary.

Best of luck to you.
head west

Last edited by head west; 11-28-2007 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: trying to fix link

Old 11-28-2007, 06:45 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
Hi Robert,

Glad to hear you're considering a move to Tucson! The main difference between the area where your aunt lives and where you are looking is the density of homes. On Via Guadalupe and for a few blocks further north there are less homes on larger lots and the feel of the neighborhoods is completely different. Here is a Google Maps link showing the two areas;

Google Maps Link

Like head west above suggested, I would take a look at the crime statistics for those areas. The crime maps only go back to 2005 but this with this following link you can look at crime by address, neighborhood, and by a few other criteria.

Crime Stats

If you have any specific housing questions feel free to contact me!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Definitely no expert here, Robert A and Head West

However, when I relocated here (knew no one and dumber than dirt) about ten years ago, I was very fortunate to find a very knowledgable and experienced as well as honest "older" Real Estate Agent who knew Tucson like the back of her hand.

For my wants and needs which seem similar to yours, she highly recommended focusing my searches North of Speedway. Although she is gone now, after ten years of learning, I feel she definitely gave me some great advice.

Although there are some very nice neighborhoods South of Speedway, as she pointed out, a block or two makes a world of difference in most areas and, for safety sake, avoid.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Good Luck

Old 11-28-2007, 11:40 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Definitely no expert here, Robert A and Head West

However, when I relocated here (knew no one and dumber than dirt) about ten years ago, I was very fortunate to find a very knowledgable and experienced as well as honest "older" Real Estate Agent who knew Tucson like the back of her hand.

For my wants and needs which seem similar to yours, she highly recommended focusing my searches North of Speedway. Although she is gone now, after ten years of learning, I feel she definitely gave me some great advice.

Although there are some very nice neighborhoods South of Speedway, as she pointed out, a block or two makes a world of difference in most areas and, for safety sake, avoid.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Good Luck
I'm not 100% sure and it's a matter of perception anyway, but I believe it's nice between 18th and 20th... South of 22nd it gets rough.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm not 100% sure and it's a matter of perception anyway, but I believe it's nice between 18th and 20th... South of 22nd it gets rough.
Absolutely, SierraAZ . . . there are exceptions, especially the further east you go, but since Robert and Head West are both novices, the advice from my Real Estate Agent is worth considering.

It worked for me and from the information (read: war stories) learned from many of my co-workers, I feel it was good advice.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,555 times
Hello....
I 2.. am looking at relocating to Tuscon, AZ. I am just looking for some place new and different... Trying to get away from the cold.... Since I am a nurse, that usually means I can move any where I please.... But I don't want to change company that I am working for.

I have no idea where to start looking for a place to live.. but I have Real estate agents looking all over the place for me... I just don't trust Agents... they are like used car sales men.. always trying to sell you some one else's crap!!

Any who...
It doesn't change the facts.. I am looking at this area seriously... and if you have any real great advice on areas to focus on.. That would be great...
I need good schools, decent shopping areas, and unfortunately my taste for a decent life style is always over budget.. because of my kids (other wise I would just slum it)..

And since I just sold my house... I am pressed for time.... I need to explore all the options and make a deal before the 15th....

So if any of you could please give me some tips.. on neighbor hoods to focus on... and areas to just say... hell no! 2

That would be great...
I can't afford to be miss lead... thanks in advance...
Slinky~

Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM

Definitely no shortage of available homes out here, Slinky. Some good and, definitely, some not so good.

I agree with your perception of some Real Estate Agents but there are many good ones as well.

Come on out and look around. Beautiful place to live with fantastic weather.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
Sorry to hear about your luck with Realtors Slinky, unfortunately the requirements for becoming an agent are pretty lax and you get a bad apple every now and then.

Did you want to live near a specific hospital or part of town? That might narrow down your choices a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson