Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
This isn't the same show that RobertaWa asked about on PBS.
Uh, Marcy, I'm pretty sure RobertaWa was talking about The Desert Speaks TV series. If you read their comments, they said they already had the Desert Dreams: Celebrating Five Seasons In The Sonoran Desert movie and specifically said The Desert Speaks in their very 1st post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
I have the Desert Dreams video. I am trying to find a way to watch the PBS show. They are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
I did try that link but the videos are not there. I even signed up for Amazon Prime but to no avail. Next time I am out there I will see if I can watch it on AZ pbs.
I would still try and shoot Arizona Public Media an email to see if there are any options available on trying to get past seasons of the show. The show is in one of those weird positions where in spanned a time from 1990 to 2011 and started in the VHS pre-HD, digital age and then ended in the DVD HD digital age.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:15 AM

88 posts, read 130,861 times
I spent quite awhile trying to find the series RobertaWA mentioned, too. I ran in to the same problems you did.

It sounds quite interesting, and I emailed KUAT to see if it's available for sale anywhere, but haven't heard back from anyone. I even did some searching on some system we've got set up that's supposed to have "everything", but though it was found, no one was streaming it. Sad a 19 season show just disappears...

Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM

88 posts, read 130,861 times
BTW, APT World Wide does offer the series, but one must have an account. I didn't pursue anything though, as it seemed more that accts would be set up by a television station or something similar, not an individual. If anyone finds out differently, will you post, please?

Art & Culture

Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,570 times
I don't know if this helps, but I have seen some of the older videos (with cowboy Don Collier) at Pima County Library locations, though It won't help you if you aren't in town. Also, they were VHS cassettes!!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststoptucson View Post
I spent quite awhile trying to find the series RobertaWA mentioned, too. I ran in to the same problems you did.

It sounds quite interesting, and I emailed KUAT to see if it's available for sale anywhere, but haven't heard back from anyone. I even did some searching on some system we've got set up that's supposed to have "everything", but though it was found, no one was streaming it. Sad a 19 season show just disappears...
I know KUAT allows any other local PBS channel throughout the country to broadcast The Desert Speaks for free if they want to. I guess since the show has a very unique topic and produced by a local PBS affiliate, and it doesn't have a national appeal like This Old House, maybe KUAT didn't want to produce DVDs of each season, if not enough people were going to buy them. They obviously have the master copies of the original shows laying around somewhere, probably in their video vault.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:50 PM

720 posts, read 995,526 times
I did get in touch with Arizona Public Media. They gave me an 800 number where I can purchase the DVDs. I don't know if they are each on their own DVD or a season on one. I will let you know when I find out.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:03 PM

700 posts, read 918,604 times
Default Full Episodes Now At AZPM

Full videos now posted at AZPM! I had been watching some episodes at You Tube and commented (along with other people) that we wished they were online at Arizona Public Media -- and a few days later I heard from someone at AZPM that they had begun uploading full episodes at their website. A lot of viewers are going to be happy about that!

There are like 17 seasons (or more), IIRC. My favorites are the early ones that were filmed around southern Arizona. Season 1 was never available on video; I don't know what happened to it. But here are where the recently uploaded episodes begin, with Season 2 x 1.

Watch Full Episodes Online of The Desert Speaks on PBS | Season 2, Episode 1: What is a Desert?

I can also recommend subscribing to AZPM's page at You Tube, especially the full Arizona Illustrated episodes. At present they have 84 full episodes posted; thoroughly enjoy those. New episodes air Sunday evenings at 6:30 p.m. on PBS 6, and then they post them maybe on Monday.

Main page: https://www.youtube.com/user/ArizonaPublicMedia

AZ Illustrated full episodes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tHe4U_M-ksxHIh

Old 09-17-2016, 07:37 AM

720 posts, read 995,526 times
Oh wilmawildcat thank you so much! I can't wait to begin watching!!

Old 09-17-2016, 12:02 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,639 times
Agreed - thanks for the heads up! I haven't had television in the house for years, and I missed this show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson