Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:17 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,812,132 times

Advertisements

OK, not a pussycat. But, for a moment that's what I thought I was looking at. It just sat there, unconcerned when it saw me. I stopped walking (5:45AM - empty streets) toward it. Had my Pixel 3A phone, which I used for the photos.

The bobcat was remarkably relaxed. I walked closer, speaking softly (uttering nonsense, just "nice pussycat" talk). I think I came within perhaps 20 yards (maybe a bit closer) to the animal. As he walked by the houses (he could have run off toward our golf course right nearby, but he opted to stick around) I took a few photos.

Hope you find them interesting.

Rich

He(?) just sat there when I first saw the animal.

He kept an eye on me as he moved along the house-line.

Nice morning surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 10:17 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,302,860 times
No doubt a street walker.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:30 AM

1,407 posts, read 1,901,693 times
Awesome pics Rich!!! What a fortunate encounter, and thanks for sharing!!!

Old 06-06-2020, 06:59 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,566,989 times
My favorite is the last one. Great pics, thanks for sharing, Rich!

Old 06-06-2020, 07:06 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,287,927 times
Beautiful! Thank you!

Old 06-07-2020, 02:12 PM

5,407 posts, read 13,310,736 times
Beautiful animal!

Old 06-07-2020, 11:21 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,123,097 times
Amazing. Relatedly, I'm new to the area so all of this wildlife is beyond exciting to me. I still get jazzed every time javelinas scramble into the neighborhood; this though would put me on the moon. Congratulations!

Having never seen one, and maybe this is a silly question but are they ever curious about us to a point that this would feel a little bit suspenseful?

Old 06-08-2020, 07:48 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,812,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
...Having never seen one, and maybe this is a silly question but are they ever curious about us to a point that this would feel a little bit suspenseful?
Not sure if you meant "nervous" when you said "suspenseful." But, you can clear that up if you so wish. I wasn't sure how to react to the animal. I wanted a photo, so I moved very slowly, and kept my distance so as not appear threatening. As I wrote, the bobcat could have easily run down the side of the house and disappeared in a flash, but it didn't. It sat for a while (quite a few seconds), then walked a "substantial" distance along the home lines.

I suspect you'll find that many wild animals become "socialized" to the presence of non-threatening humans. On Cape Cod we have Eastern Coyotes (they can reach over 60 lbs in weight), and many have lost all fear of humans (not a good thing). Some people have made the terrible mistake of feeding the animals, which always ends badly for the critters being fed.

I used to be chief of police in my town. An officer (25 years ago) told me of coming upon a coyote, lying on the side of the road, around 2AM in the morning. The officer thought the animal had been hit by a car, so he pulled his cruiser over and got out.

The coyote got up, looked at the officer with an expression of "what have you got for me to eat?" Then the animal walked across the road, according to the officer close enough so that the officer could have reached down and touched it's back! Then lay down once again on that side of the road! Unconcerned and relaxed.

Rich

Old 06-08-2020, 10:01 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,566,989 times
The only time I saw a wildcat out in the wild, ever, was at the Chiricahua National Monument in SE Arizona. We were just about to the Visitor Center when I looked over to the right. A young Bobcat was sitting under a tree relaxing. I stopped my car, rolled down the windows and said something like "hey there, how are you?" The cat did nothing, but stared at the three of us in the car. I sat there for about a minute or minute and a half and the Bobcat stood up, looked one more time at us and then turned and walked slowly in to the forest.

That was an awesome experience - having grown up in western Washington with all of it's wildlife (and it has a LOT of wildlife) I never saw a bear, cougar or bobcat out in the wild in my home state. So this discovery SE of Willcox was really cool!

Old 06-08-2020, 10:11 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,989,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Not sure if you meant "nervous" when you said "suspenseful." But, you can clear that up if you so wish. I wasn't sure how to react to the animal. I wanted a photo, so I moved very slowly, and kept my distance so as not appear threatening. As I wrote, the bobcat could have easily run down the side of the house and disappeared in a flash, but it didn't. It sat for a while (quite a few seconds), then walked a "substantial" distance along the home lines.

I suspect you'll find that many wild animals become "socialized" to the presence of non-threatening humans. On Cape Cod we have Eastern Coyotes (they can reach over 60 lbs in weight), and many have lost all fear of humans (not a good thing). Some people have made the terrible mistake of feeding the animals, which always ends badly for the critters being fed.

I used to be chief of police in my town. An officer (25 years ago) told me of coming upon a coyote, lying on the side of the road, around 2AM in the morning. The officer thought the animal had been hit by a car, so he pulled his cruiser over and got out.

The coyote got up, looked at the officer with an expression of "what have you got for me to eat?" Then the animal walked across the road, according to the officer close enough so that the officer could have reached down and touched it's back! Then lay down once again on that side of the road! Unconcerned and relaxed.

Rich
I use to do this......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson