Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 07:49 AM

23,339 posts, read 29,223,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
Vets ARE offered housing. Problem is that sadly most of those on the streets have mental illness issues. They won't take the help they are offered. They are not so mentally ill as to be a danger to themselves so they cannot be involuntarily committed.
One reason the homeless avoid homeless shelters is because of the restrictions, not necessarily mental illness. Who wants to live by curfew?

Salt Lake City has done an awesome job of taking homeless off the streets, and with little or no restrictions. So if they wish to drink inside these facilities, then fine, so be it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 08:03 AM

1,465 posts, read 628,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One reason the homeless avoid homeless shelters is because of the restrictions, not necessarily mental illness. Who wants to live by curfew?
Get your own place if you don't want to live under house rules.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:09 AM

40,996 posts, read 49,412,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
They do. They are called tents on the streets.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:17 AM

1,465 posts, read 628,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They do. They are called tents on the streets.
Exactly.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
A great number of these homeless people will never get off the streets due to both necessary and unnecessary obstacle courses.

When I was homeless back in the 70's in Denver it was a piece of cake to go from homelessness to employment.

I took the lowliest job, the lowest paid job I could find, working in a nursing home. Back then, there were no obstacles in place. I didn't even need a CNA license, CNA schooling. I didn't need to subject myself to a drug test, fingerprinting, getting a CPR card ($50). And even with a CNA license, even nursing homes choose those with at least a year's experience to be hired.

So! Forget that idea, Mr. Homeless Man!

In Las Vegas, where I lived, it was understood that even getting a job in a fast food restaurant, you needed a health card, @$350!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:22 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,522,794 times
Not to derail this too much. But do agree there are some barriers to entry for some low level jobs these days. Used to manage a company that hired workers to assist disabled individuals. Just to get an interview we required them to have the CPR Card ($50), AZ Fingerprint Clearance Card ($75), a notarized background check form ($10) and an Article 9 class ($35). An interview would cost you close to $170, it wasn't worth it for us to interview anyone without all this stuff. We'd interview them and they would never contact you again. At least if they had the certifications, we knew that they were somewhat serious about working in our industry.

The way Arizona is set up, you need almost all of these items to work anywhere from a pre-school to a nursing home or to be a school lunch lady. On the one hand it's great that we have these safety procedures in place to protect our most vulnerable, but on the flip side it's a barrier to entry for the low level workers with few job skills.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 PM

Being homeless in 1972, when I took that job as a Nursing Assistant, I worked as an "Apprentice" with another Aide for a week, and then I had my own patients to take care of. You don't need much for skills to be a Nursing Assistant. You need to know how to take Vital signs, no biggie, how to lift and transfer a patient to/from a wheel chair, giving a shower, and change diapers a couple times or more a shift, and skin care. You really don't need to take a month long CPA class to become a CNA.

And as far as CPR, in all the 17 years I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility I never had the opportunity to use those skills, and you forget all too easily what you learned from classes.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:12 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,555,813 times
And as far as CPR, in all the 17 years I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility I never had the opportunity to use those skills, and you forget all too easily what you learned from classes.

Yes, most of us in medical never get to use the skills we learned in BLS classes so they have the card expire in 2 years. That way you have to take/pass online modules and go in person to pass a skills sign-off. They really have to do it this way if you're going to have a fighting chance to recall what you need ta do to save someone's life in a real emergency case.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 AM

17,523 posts, read 24,760,454 times
Sounds like Real Estate Agencies trying to drum up listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson