Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 8,755 times

Advertisements

Hi all. How much is the summer temp difference between GV and SV, I see over 1000' difference in elevation although I've read some posts that a move from Hereford to GV was delightful duw to the cooler temps and less wind. Welcome your thoughts on this.
Also how would you rate the hospital in GV, Santa Cruz Regional?
And finally my wife wants to know about grocery shopping in addition to the Wal Mart
Appreciate all comments prospective neighbors....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 01:31 PM

33 posts, read 46,615 times
Hi I live in Hereford but have to admit I don't know too much about Green Valley. I do know it's beautiful and has easier access to Tucson but that is about it. The wind is the worst thing about the weather down here but other than that it is one of the better climates in the country in my opinion. The elevation makes temps typically 5-10° cooler than Tucson and 10-15° than PHX.

Shopping in SV is decent if you're into Chain store type stuff. For groceries it has Safeway, Wal Mart, Target (Small Grocery section), Food City, and the most popular, Kroger.The hospital in town sucks and if you need medical or dental, most of us just go to Tucson. I do know folks with good dentists in Naco or Agua Prieta though.

Good luck on your decision

Old 07-09-2021, 01:45 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,863,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonfusion View Post
Hi all. How much is the summer temp difference between GV and SV, I see over 1000' difference in elevation although I've read some posts that a move from Hereford to GV was delightful duw to the cooler temps and less wind. Welcome your thoughts on this.
And finally my wife wants to know about grocery shopping in addition to the Wal Mart
I am a resident of Green Valley and have been for 7 years. I have been to Sierra Vista, but never lived there, so I cannot give you a detailed comparison, but I can tell you that SV does not have a nearby large city like Tucson which is only about 20 to 25 minutes from Green Valley. GV does have wind and does get hot, probably slightly hotter than SV. SV probably gets more rain than GV. I just read an article that SV recently had a micro-burst event that damaged some buildings in town, but that has also happened in GV.

SV is more remote
SV may have a bit more rain on an annual basis
SV may be a degree or two cooler

GV borders the town of Sahuarita which is growing quickly and has been getting new restaurants and stores such as Sprouts.
GV has two Safeway stores and there is a Fry's grocery store in Sahuarita as well as the Walmart
GV has a lot of "snowbirds" in the fall, winter, and Spring, so the town population nearly doubles from about November to mid to late April.
GV has GVR (Green Valley Recreation) available for most homes. This is an organization that has social events as well as clubs (birding, woodworking, clay, photography, pickle ball, pools, and many more available. Many properties have GVR membership tied to the deed of the home, so if you buy a home like that, you will HAVE to pay an initiation fee and annual dues whether or not you want to. Many people are very happy with GVR, and others are not such as some older people who can no longer use the amenities, but still have to pay the dues. You can check it out for yourself at https://www.gvrec.org/

Personally, I am happy to have Santa Cruz Regional hospital available. They may not be able to handle everything yet, but it is comforting that it is there. A neighbor's wife needed to have a pacemaker installed, and she was taken to Tucson for that. We also have a few "urgent care" locations spread throughout Green Valley, and now Sahuarita has a small hospital as well. When I first moved here, there were no hospital options other than Tucson. GV also has MANY doctor offices of all different types available

You can check out a video I made of the trip from Green Valley to Sierra Vista at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srfb28_-ewA

You can check out my Green Valley centric youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...rCyA5zw/videos

Green Valley has lots of wildlife to include javelina, coyote, bobcat, all kinds of birds, lizards, snakes, ground squirrels, mule deer and more. I think it is a great place to live, and I can tell you that I sure love it here!!!

Bart

Old 07-10-2021, 12:15 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Green Valley also has Sprouts, a more holistic kind of grocery store.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 8,755 times
Thanks Bart. I did watch your video on the haboob earlier in the week and it was well done. We have been wintering in Picacho just north of Tucson but the heat in summer sucks, friend of ours that live there have to leave for northern climes in the summer. We don't want to have to do that, ergo looking at southeast AZ.
We would be rural if possible, 15-20 minutes out (from SV) and have been researching the area for a full time move. That's when I noticed the remark about the wind in SV area. Man is it that bad or just very tiring after a few years.
Anyway thanks a bunch for the info and I will check out your video. Thanks again

Old 08-19-2021, 07:11 PM

30 posts, read 32,833 times
The census results say Cochise county lost residents in the decade. There are likely good reasons for that. If you like people, I would recommend GV.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:09 AM

30,374 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonfusion View Post

It's really about 1700' elevation difference between SV and GV making SV about 6F cooler. SV does get more wind so that's a negative in my view. For shopping, SV has much more than GV but GV is closer to a legitimate large city of Tucson so I think it about equals out. The biggest difference is GV is essentially a retirement community so if you want that, go to GV and if you want a more well rounded community, look at SV.

Another huge advantage of SV in our view is Ramsey Canyon Preserve and the proximity of the Huachuca mountains.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:06 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,374,340 times
I think it comes down to two things: SV has better weather and GV has Tucson nearby.

When I say better weather, I mean they are cooler and get more rain during monsoon season. I'm into history and looking for sites in my Jeep so SV would be better for me if I didn't need to be in Tucson every day.... therefore I'm in GV/Sahuarita.

A plus with SV is they have several stores in town that GV residents need to drive to Tucson for. Just to pick up 2x4's, or make a Target run we have to drive to Tucson. We like our neighborhood and neighbors here but if they ever left I'd consider SV when I retire.

As for the comments about the hospital in SV not being the best... the one in GV also doesn't have a very good reputation. There's a new hospital in Sahuarita but I don't think it's much better.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:46 PM

108 posts, read 94,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitless View Post
The census results say Cochise county lost residents in the decade. There are likely good reasons for that. If you like people, I would recommend GV.
That was me leaving...

Old 10-19-2021, 06:58 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,047 times
Santa Cruz Regional in GV isn't doing well. It's tough being an small independent community hospital with no corporate deep pockets to back it up. Therefore, they've been having trouble attracting and retaining talent. They also appealed to the Governor for emergency funds a year ago, and one of the conditions the state set was that the executive suite had to cut their paychecks from 30-50%. They're also taking a hit from new micro hospitals up the road. I would drive into Tucson for medical care if I lived down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson