Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 09:09 PM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I would vote if I had to drive thirty miles to do it because of a sense of civic responsibility.

However, I do not see a reason why voting should not be done by mail and why it shouldn't be easy. Security issues are always presented in a hypothetical manner because there is no evidence widespread voter fraud has occurred anywhere. BTW, if you supported a certain presidential candidate who constantly claims to have been the victim of voter fraud, I would appreciate it if you would take it to the politics forum.

Voting should be an easy process. My ultra-republican conservative state of Utah has allowed voting by mail for many years. It reduces voting to a simple process in which a husband and wife can engage with one another, mark their ballots, and then put them in the mail and worry no more about having their votes counted.

Certain people know that the more difficult they make voting, the fewer people will choose to engage and in effect will be disenfranchised. Unless your only goal is to win an election at any cost you know that this is wrong.
I'm 66. I've been voting since I was 18. I voted by mail one time during covid. How does someone become disenfranchised if they are too lazy to find their polling place. If you can't find the time to vote in person you are nothing but lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 09:50 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
I'm 66. I've been voting since I was 18. I voted by mail one time during covid. How does someone become disenfranchised if they are too lazy to find their polling place. If you can't find the time to vote in person you are nothing but lazy.
I don't think its fair for you to judge the behavior as lazy. Some people have jobs that keep them working ten or more hours a day and are dead tired when they get home. Certain precincts make people line up for over an hour before they can vote. Some people are handicapped (my mother was blind) and just getting to the polls is a challenge for them.

Voting shouldn't be stressful. It should be easy for any legitimate voter. The mail in system can test legitimacy by simple signature matching when ballots are signed.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I don't think its fair for you to judge the behavior as lazy. Some people have jobs that keep them working ten or more hours a day and are dead tired when they get home. Certain precincts make people line up for over an hour before they can vote. Some people are handicapped (my mother was blind) and just getting to the polls is a challenge for them.

Voting shouldn't be stressful. It should be easy for any legitimate voter. The mail in system can test legitimacy by simple signature matching when ballots are signed.
Read the whole thread before you jump to conclusions. I mentioned handicapped as an exception. You think you are the only one that has worked long hours? Vote in person. If you don't you're lazy. The world doesn't revolve around you.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Read the whole thread before you jump to conclusions. I mentioned handicapped as an exception. You think you are the only one that has worked long hours? Vote in person. If you don't you're lazy. The world doesn't revolve around you.
I've lived in a state that has had mail in voting for a couple of decades. Just because something was done a certain way in 1890 does not mean it has to be done that way today. Voting should be made easier rather than harder once some modicum of security is in place. I don't accept paranoia that somehow voting by mail is inherently bad or insecure particularly when no widespread evidence of voting fraud has ever been shown.

Last edited by markg91359; 03-31-2024 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-31-2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I've lived in a state that has had mail in voting for a couple of decades. Just because something was done a certain way in 1890 does not mean it has to be done that way today. Voting should be made easier rather than harder once some modicum of security is in place. I don't accept paranoia that somehow voting by mail is inherently bad or insecure particularly when no widespread evidence of voting fraud has ever been shown.
Easier? You are acting as if voting is hard. I understand mail in voting for handicapped, military or for some people that live hours away from the closest town. Otherwise, get off your duff and make an effort. You'll survive the experience, maybe except if you live in places like Baltimore, Chicago or some other dangerous crap hole.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Easier? You are acting as if voting is hard. I understand mail in voting for handicapped, military or for some people that live hours away from the closest town. Otherwise, get off your duff and make an effort. You'll survive the experience, maybe except if you live in places like Baltimore, Chicago or some other dangerous crap hole.
Why? Because you say we should? I say we should do mail in voting because its easier and is secure when you match signatures. There is no need to waste time just to say you voted in person.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:49 AM

104 posts, read 129,231 times
Quote:
Make it easier to vote and MORE people vote. Maybe that's why you don't like the concept???

https://missouriindependent.com/2023...scholars-find/

Old 04-01-2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Why? Because you say we should? I say we should do mail in voting because its easier and is secure when you match signatures. There is no need to waste time just to say you voted in person.
Yep, you are entitled to your opinion and so am I. You wasted time on this thread which proves you have time to waste. So, get outside and blow the stink off and vote.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeana View Post
Make it easier to vote and MORE people vote. Maybe that's why you don't like the concept???

https://missouriindependent.com/2023...scholars-find/
There you go using the word easier and hard as if showing up at your local polling place is so difficult. And, driving to your polling place is pollution. Any more lame excuses? It can't be any easier to vote then it is now. And, you could end the countless crazy conspiracy theory nuts that feel the election was stolen.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:51 PM

104 posts, read 129,231 times
Quote:
There you go using the word easier and hard as if showing up at your local polling place is so difficult. And, driving to your polling place is pollution. Any more lame excuses? It can't be any easier to vote then it is now. And, you could end the countless crazy conspiracy theory nuts that feel the election was stolen.
As you said, those conspiracy theories are NUTS. Why give into them by mandating voting in person???

I don't need an excuse to vote by mail. I just wish AZ made it easier.

Universal Vote by Mail is where we're heading, and it's shown to INCREASE voting, a WIN WIN.

I can renew my Drivers License online; I can renew my Car Tags by mail. THAT's an improvement over standing in a DMV for an hour. Same with voting by mail or drop-off.

What if I awake with the flu on Election Day?? My choices are to go in person and possibly infect others, or to stay home and not vote. Neither acceptable.

Make it easy, make it fast. Keep it safe. Get more to participate. The manner in which they participate isn't important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: