Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of Nogales and used to go there often, but even I would refrain from going right now. I'm pretty certain the gang wars really don't happen in the downtown area as it's very close to the border and there's no room to escape, but still there's no reason to put yourself in harm's way. The murders have doubled in comparison to last year. There have been many articles in the paper here. The shootings take place in public areas... Last I read the police in Nogales IS taking care of it since US tourism IS their bread and butter and many merchants downtown are folding... They were saying there was a checkpoint now at the southern end of downtown not letting suspicious persons go farther. It's pretty sad for everybody really...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 12:41 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,352,608 times
Yeah... gotta agree. Nogie's mostly a no-go lately. Feel bad for the merchants, but its a sign of the times.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Yeah... gotta agree. Nogie's mostly a no-go lately. Feel bad for the merchants, but its a sign of the times.
I know. Poor people... They were talking about not being able to make a sale for DAYS! Some of them were at the street fair yesterday. My favorite restaurant is a bit far from the border. It's where I'd imagine the checkpoint is - at the very end of the touristy part of Avenida Obregon.

Things had begun to slow down considerably even before these gang wars started, though. First they started asking for US prescriptions on the way back... Now want birth certificates or passports... You can't even go on a whim anymore. Some time ago I went to Patagonia to a fair and then decided to go get some stuff from the duty free shop. Didn't have problems, but could have (I have a foreign accent)...

I certainly talked with an officer before making the purchase. They didn't give me any grief on the way back. Maybe it's because I started with an apologetic speech "I know I should've... but I don't..." I mean, it's ridiculous... anybody can see the purchase was made half an hour ago on the US side where I obviously was... I still think once you open a wallet with an AZ DL and full of credit cards nobody's gonna hassle you, but you never know... somebody might've gotten up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I know. Poor people... They were talking about not being able to make a sale for DAYS! Some of them were at the street fair yesterday. My favorite restaurant is a bit far from the border. It's where I'd imagine the checkpoint is - at the very end of the touristy part of Avenida Obregon.

Things had begun to slow down considerably even before these gang wars started, though. First they started asking for US prescriptions on the way back... Now want birth certificates or passports... You can't even go on a whim anymore. Some time ago I went to Patagonia to a fair and then decided to go get some stuff from the duty free shop. Didn't have problems, but could have (I have a foreign accent)...

I certainly talked with an officer before making the purchase. They didn't give me any grief on the way back. Maybe it's because I started with an apologetic speech "I know I should've... but I don't..." I mean, it's ridiculous... anybody can see the purchase was made half an hour ago on the US side where I obviously was... I still think once you open a wallet with an AZ DL and full of credit cards nobody's gonna hassle you, but you never know... somebody might've gotten up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.
Whew!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM

702 posts, read 2,296,243 times
Quote:
You most likely mean Nogales, AZ and not Nogales, Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Amazing how different people's assumptions could be... I'd never consider wasting time in Nogales, AZ, much less make THAT part a destination.
Ha. I was thinking the same thing. There's nothing much going on in Nogales, AZ unless you want to go to Walmart or look at the border fence dividing the city.

I haven't been to Nogales, MX for about 4 years, but I always had fun there...haggling with vendors, trying to order lunch, getting drunk.

Has the border violence spread to Nogales as well? I live near Juarez now, and the violence has repelled most American tourists. Over 1,400 shootings so far this year.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Has the border violence spread to Nogales as well? I live near Juarez now, and the violence has repelled most American tourists. Over 1,400 shootings so far this year.
Yeah, it's been pretty bad this year. Drug wars...

U.S. adds Nogales to Mexico travel alert | border, nogales, violence, mexican, mexico - Travel - OCRegister.com

And I have to give you a link to other places' papers because the local one can't get their shi*t together and remove that mighty annoying login which is totally worthless anyway because you can read articles if they show up in searches, but not if you post the link itself! Reminds me again to cancel my subscription - it only depresses me every morning .

Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,983,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Has the border violence spread to Nogales as well?
It's spread well past Nogales into Tucson.

www.azstarnet.com ®

Worst year ever by far for homicides (up over 60%), many drug related.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:01 PM

602 posts, read 2,065,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
It's spread well past Nogales into Tucson.

www.azstarnet.com ®

Worst year ever by far for homicides (up over 60%), many drug related.
Shhhh. I'm still dreaming of unicorns and lollypops.

Gangs, Guns, Graffiti, and Ghomicides are all the bad products of our fevered and media inspired imaginations (facts be damned).

Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Shhhh. I'm still dreaming of unicorns and lollypops.

Gangs, Guns, Graffiti, and Ghomicides are all the bad products of our fevered and media inspired imaginations (facts be damned).

Everyone, my apologies. Please allow me to explain something to you about my ally, the Hiker. I ask you to be understanding of his unique position here. Hiker has a wonderfully positive outlook on life.

He has a tendency to romanticize the places he lives in. Wherever he hangs his hat, there can be no crime in the streets, and no bad stuff ever happening around him. To the Hiker, there are no such horrors as gangs or grafitti. There can be no ghettos or guns existing in his beautiful world.

Don't get me wrong... he's basically a good guy - just a bit naive in his approach to life. For Christmas, please get this lovable fellow a cute little puppy and invite him over for cocoa and marshmallows. Get him to watch Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch with you and he'll be just fine!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Everyone, my apologies. Please allow me to explain something to you about my ally, the Hiker. I ask you to be understanding of his unique position here. Hiker has a wonderfully positive outlook on life.

He has a tendency to romanticize the places he lives in. Wherever he hangs his hat, there can be no crime in the streets, and no bad stuff ever happening around him. To the Hiker, there are no such horrors as gangs or grafitti. There can be no ghettos or guns existing in his beautiful world.

Don't get me wrong... he's basically a good guy - just a bit naive in his approach to life. For Christmas, please get this lovable fellow a cute little puppy and invite him over for cocoa and marshmallows. Get him to watch Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch with you and he'll be just fine!
I think you misunderstood his post (this particular one), Pony. Other than that... what else is new?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson