Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:56 PM

109 posts, read 341,619 times

Advertisements

My husband is all into the idea of buying one of several manufactured homes that come with one to four acres of land in the Sahaurita/Vail area.

But I'm really concerned that these homes will lose all their value over time, as I've heard they don't ever do anything but depreciate. I know the land might hold a good bit of value, but if we don't stay in the area for more than five years, I'm leery of getting financially soaked.

It's really a big stigma up here in the Mid-Atlantic area to live in a manufactured home, though I don't feel that way about it personally.

What is everyone's take on this? I really do like the idea of Joe having some land to play around on with his rc airplanes, park his four cars, work on his cars, build a big workshop, etc. It would make him happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:24 PM

415 posts, read 1,681,191 times
I have seen some really beautiful ones in Sahuarita and Vail. (My office is actually in the SE, so I go on tours all the time). I also was one of those people who looked down on them - before I got here. I was from the Northeast and the sterotype of manufactured homes was true up there.

The advantage is more $$ for bigger land. As I tell everyone- research, research, research. Because of course, there are not-so-nice ones too.

Last edited by twojulybabies; 01-23-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Spelling. As a card carrying member of the spelling police, I had to correct my error.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
My best advice to you is to buy the Grissim Guides. We bought the Ratings Guide and the Buyers Guide. They are both terrific and packed full of info regarding topics like "the things to look out for", "the things to do and not do when buying", "ratings for the various manufacturers", etc, etc, etc.

The upshot is, Manufactured Homes have come a LONGGGGGGG way from the old "trailer homes" and now can go toe-to-toe (at least some of the manufacturers can) with any site-built home.

BUY THESE BOOKS!

The Grissim Guides to Manufactured Homes and Land :: Home

Ken

Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 PM

415 posts, read 1,681,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyFavers View Post
But I'm really concerned that these homes will lose all their value over time, as I've heard they don't ever do anything but depreciate. I know the land might hold a good bit of value, but if we don't stay in the area for more than five years, I'm leery of getting financially soaked.

I forgot to add that you are still getting in *near* the bottom of the market and since real estate is cyclical, we can all speculate that even if you stay for less than 5 years (but more than 2-3), you would be OK.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,652 times
Default I may be able to assist you!

[quote=GinnyFavers;7140684]My husband is all into the idea of buying one of several manufactured homes that come with one to four acres of land in the Sahaurita/Vail area.

I own Mesquite Canyon Homes at the Fleetwood Home Centers in Tucson. I have approx. 16 manufactured homes that i'm selling at my material cost and can help you find land too! Our packages start out in the upper $90's. I'll post my website for you to review. Let me know if you're still interested. Gabriel
www.mesquitecanyonhomesinc.com

Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 PM

13 posts, read 34,075 times
Lived in the mid atlantic states for years. Raised in New England. I know the "trailer" stereotype well. Been out west - several states - for 14 years now. Manufactured homes are more "acceptable" out here. Remember there are usually NO basements, attics (even in standard homes - out west). No tornados, NO hurricanes, NO earthquakes (except for CA.), NO Bitter Cold (in Tucson)........all those things that make "trailers" more risky in other states. I'd say in AZ there isn't the stigma you have back east/midatlantic area - I say - go for it! I live in a remote area of AZ but commute frequently to Tucson - the doublewides I've seen in Vail (inside & out) area - some are pretty nice. The land - definitely will give your hubby the "freedom" he craves.........and with a little bit of desert land surrounding your "trailer" - if the neighbors are noisy - you won't hear them anyway. Plant some drought tolerant shade trees on the west and east side of the home though, or you'll heat up like a tin can in the summer. The rain run off during Monsoon rains will help your drought tolerant trees grow better than if they are placed too far away from the house...Good luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM

643 posts, read 2,053,605 times
[quote=gabee;8647765]
Quote:
My husband is all into the idea of buying one of several manufactured homes that come with one to four acres of land in the Sahaurita/Vail area.

I own Mesquite Canyon Homes at the Fleetwood Home Centers in Tucson. I have approx. 16 manufactured homes that i'm selling at my material cost and can help you find land too! Our packages start out in the upper $90's. I'll post my website for you to review. Let me know if you're still interested. Gabriel
www.mesquitecanyonhomesinc.com

... Isn't this just spam?

In either case, we have family out in Sahuarita and their house was alright. They bought one of the smaller ones because it was a first home, but it's okay. Not much bigger than an apartment, if you ask me, but they own it.

Plus, the community was nice to walk around in, had lots of parks and even some sort of free water park. It's ups and downs, you know.

I wouldn't surprised to find that in ten/twenty years that they're not worth much, though.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 22,739 times
Default Manufactured Homes

Hi, we just got back from Sahaurita, nice land there and the homes are ok, we were looking at properties with at least 5 acres and found many as a matter of fact we are trying to buy one now. As many as we've seen there are so many homes there with land but be prepared for some pretty crappy homes although the are manufactured homes they are in terrible disrepair if you are looking in the 50K or less range, some real junk, but of you jump up to 80k or more they are in a lot better shape. Now if you just want the land there are several that are under 40k but homes to live in or to move in better stay in the upper pride range. Being from California and having to pay the ridicules taxes and a real high standard of living we were happily surprised at the standard of living in that type of situation. I can give you the name of a real good real estate agent there which is now very knowledgeable about the manufactured market. Good luck, Paul

Quote:

It's really a big stigma up here in the Mid-Atlantic area to live in a manufactured home, though I don't feel that way about it personally.

What is everyone's take on this? I really do like the idea of Joe having some land to play around on with his rc airplanes, park his four cars, work on his cars, build a big workshop, etc. It would make him happy.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 PM

An update on our buying a manufactured home, apparently there is till a stigma about manufactured s in that the lending institutions still believe that they are mobile homes. I worked for Red Dale mobile home builders and they were built with 2x2 walls and had sheet metal siding and 1/4 inch paneling. manufactured homes are built in a factory in two sections so that they can be moved to a permanent location ( by the way, these homes in Az, are put on the ground like mobile homes! Infuriating! In Colorado a manufactured home is required to be mounted on a cement foundation )
These homes are built to better than stick home regulations such as 2x6 walls, 1/2 inch wall board and have insulation for being in the hottest temps to the coldest and have composite roofing, forced air and heat and dual pane windows. But to the lenders it's still a mobile home! Well good luck finding a lender for that property in Tucson, on the flip side if you buy a manufactured home new from a dealer and put together a land package then you can get a loan. CRAZY lenders, oh well that's our system. Good luck. Paul

Old 11-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Oh, if you do buy a new manufactured spend the extra money and have it put on a permanent foundation! Don't I repeat Don't have in installed like a mobile home cause it will devalue it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson