Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:01 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times

Advertisements

Wow! This is fairly surprising. I think it's an interesting and somewhat risky choice because Noah is fairly unknown and has a fairly prominent South African accent. There's certainly nothing wrong with selecting a non-North American to succeed Stewart, but I wonder if some potential viewers might be leery of someone with such a strong accent. I hope viewers will be open to the change, give Noah a fair chance to prove himself, and I hope he does a great job!

I like what I've seen of Noah, but there isn't much to go on. He hasn't been with The Daily Show that long, so there isn't much to go on. What do you think of the choice, and how do you think he'll do? I not strongly inclined either way; I really don't have a sense of how well this will work out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/ar...show.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I have personally never heard of him. I noticed him for the first time as a corespondent on JS the other night and didn't really care for him. In fact, my son said it out loud "I don't really like this new correspondent". LOL.

Now we will have to see how he does as host....

Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Underwhelmed by this news, as I find that correspondent irritating-feel same way about Jordan Klepper.
That's not a criticism of his content, but of his delivery & presentation-I just don't enjoy it.
I like seeing & hearing Jon Stewart-his voice & face, in addition to the quality content of show.
So, yeah, less than thrilled at this point...
I really like Aaasif Mandvi, but I guess he's busy with another upcoming series.
And since Jason Jones just departed the program, it wouldn't have been him.
Jessica Williams-now that would have been a bold choice, demographically-and I like her persona better.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:10 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Cheap foreign labor. Really. Nobody can replace Stewart...

Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Jessica Williams-now that would have been a bold choice, demographically-and I like her persona better.
Like many others, I was hoping they'd select a woman. [I'm a guy, just FYI ] That said, I agree with Williams' self-assessment that she's not not ready yet. I just don't really see her as a host.

Though I didn't think she was really in the running, I thought Amy Poehler would've been a good choice: She's well known, politically savvy and sharp, but has a different sensibility than Stewart. She's also about the ideal age (40-ish).

It seems like Michele Ganeless -president of Comedy Central- has decided to completely revamp The Daily Show. With Bee and Jones also leaving, there's aren't really any other long-term correspondents left either. If nothing else the next incarnation of The Daily Show will be very different.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
There's certainly nothing wrong with selecting a non-North American to succeed Stewart, but I wonder if some potential viewers might be leery of someone with such a strong accent.
John Oliver's stint as host last summer was a huge success, so I'd assume that Stewart and the producers hope that Noah could bring a similar kind of worldly, multicultural take on the fake comedy news angle.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
John Oliver's stint as host last summer was a huge success, so I'd assume that Stewart and the producers hope that Noah could bring a similar kind of worldly, multicultural take on the fake comedy news angle.
True, but a brit isn't nearly so 'foreign' to many as a polyglot from South Africa like Noah. But considering The Daily Show Demographic, you're probably right. I doubt few -if any- of their regular viewers will be put off solely by his accent and ethnicity.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:55 AM

While I'm disappointed with the choice, it's quite possible I may in time get used to the new host.

I'm not big on change/turnover, generally-I couldn't stand it when John Oliver subbed for Stewart-
yet, once Oliver got his own show (on HBO), I was fine with him, in that context (a format built around him) & I enjoy it each week.

So, once this all goes down, and after a few weeks or months of the new host-I could well be cool with that. I just need time to adapt.

Edited-to-add: Didn't even realize I'd seen him as guest on QI (the UK panel game), a couple years back:

Last edited by cloven; 03-31-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Underwhelmed by this news, as I find that correspondent irritating-feel same way about Jordan Klepper.
That's not a criticism of his content, but of his delivery & presentation-I just don't enjoy it.
Correction, my recollection was wrong-it's Hasan Minaj that irritates me, not Trevor Noah.
My bad

Old 03-31-2015, 05:03 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
I've only seen him in this one bit and he seemed nervous and stiff. Also his accent is annoying. Not saying he'll suck but I don't see him being the host long term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-urVIOVJ9w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV