Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 32,470 times

Advertisements

Being a history buff I'm really interested in history of places such as the Carlton Hotel, especially since it's pretty much 'abandoned' pending conversion to use as a sub-courthouse. I would LOVE to be able to tour the interior, check out some of the old guestrooms, corridors, walk around the cabana and rooftop pool, take pictures of a bygone era.

Let's make this thread all about the Carlton. As soon as I'm able I will post some exterior photographs I have taken. Post pictures if you have any!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,091,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdramsey View Post
Being a history buff I'm really interested in history of places such as the Carlton Hotel, especially since it's pretty much 'abandoned' pending conversion to use as a sub-courthouse. I would LOVE to be able to tour the interior, check out some of the old guestrooms, corridors, walk around the cabana and rooftop pool, take pictures of a bygone era.

Let's make this thread all about the Carlton. As soon as I'm able I will post some exterior photographs I have taken. Post pictures if you have any!

Thanks
I don't have any pictures. But I was about 10-20 years old and living in Tyler when the Carlton was in it's prime. Have you gone to the Carnegie Historical Library in Tyler? They must have lots of photos.

Yes, this building was supposed to have been revamped and converted to a condo and restaurants, among other things. The county turned down, what they thought at the time, was to low of a bid to another end user, who had some other purpose in mind, I don't remember what. But yes, apparently the county now thinks they can do something with it, other than tear it down, lol.

Museum - Smith County Historical Society

This article below is what DIDN'T occur:

http://stanalandcompanies.com/files/...n-Hotelpdf.pdf

Stay tuned: I can't get the information now. Don't know if I will able to copy and paste what I'm looking to download. The city of tyler had a 30 minute film clip about Tyler in the late 1950's if was a film originated by the Tyler Chamber of Commerce. I wanted to show my older, brother among others, the video, so I obtained a copy of the video the chamber provided for me.

I don't know if this film is currently being shown at some time during the 24 hour period, somewhere on the City of Tyler channel on suddenlink, where I first "stumbled" across it. So this will take some research and time, to see if I can download it to city data. This video did show the Carlton for a few minutes, inside and out, I THINK.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:01 PM

Thank you for sharing. I have not been to the Carnegie or the City Library yet however I plan to one day. I do not live in Tyler and my typical work day ends with me having to head directly out of town.

I'm amazed at the Carlton's short lifespan but then again the late 60s forward brought the age of malls and shopping strips which typically were built on the edge of town at that time period causing many businesses to relocate and the smaller hotel/motels popping up everywhere Cities like Tyler could not support their downtown hotels so it seems during the 1970s there were a lot of hotel closures downtowns across the nation.

I would have loved seeing the old Carlton converted to commercial use wither it be hotel or apartments however I understand the county's need plus it's close proximity to the jail. But on the same thought, why did the county spend all that money to vacate the building just to keep it and use it again?

Old 07-27-2016, 04:38 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,091,382 times
Yep, the county thought it could be sold for more than the offers they received. At one point it was going to be completely restored and the county would move into the building completely. Then there was a proposal to tear it down. All kinds of suggestions proposals. I still checking to see if I can load the video that has the Carlton included. I'll be curious to see if you get any other posts on this, most people are way too young, to know or have interest in the history of the Carlton. But if was quite a place for a town of about 40,000 population. 38,968 in 1950.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:52 PM

Well I tried posting a link to an historic photograph of the Carlton that KLTV published on their Instagram page however it was deleted by I'm assuming the admin, and without any explanation.

Anyway if anyone is interested enough they can look at it on KLTV's Instagram page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: