Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 06:29 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times

Advertisements

Considering heading towards Tyler, but still very tied to Big-City internet services for Remote Software Design considerations.

My Question --

What areas have what type of High Speed Internet connections in and around Tyler?

Cable? Fiber-optic? RF Links?

Are any areas of town better than others in regard Internet Services?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 06:18 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Find the coverage map for Suddenlink. That's your search zone.

We bought a house in August and one of the "must have"s was Suddenlink internet service, as they're the only game in town. If you're able, get it as a business account. It's more expensive but you can get static IPs and the response is immeasurably better if there's a problem. Suddenlink has ABYSMAL customer service at the consumer level.

If you're willing to fool with point to point wireless, there are other options, but I can't vouch for their quality. The speeds they offer don't compare, at all, and they're expensive to get into. Their coverage is also very limited, as it's line-of-sight only from wherever their towers are.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:35 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
We just moved here in July.
I absolutely love the area (were in Flint)
But HATE Suddenlink with a burning passion.
Horrible customer service, charged $60 for a service call their technician cancelled!������ Took 4 months to get a credit, charged 10 for not paying full balance etc...
We’ve lived all over the US and this is by far the worst company!!
Our internet will go out with storms etc... we’ve already had to replace the TIVO box, first one died 30 days in!
It’s slow, especially out of city limits. No on demand out of city limits.
Phone customer service is out of country, so they do t even know what you’re talking about as far as services go etc...
There is always a huge line waiting at the store in town. But that’s where I had to go to finally get my credit... 1 hour in line outside.������

They have a complete monopoly here no competition, it stinks!!!

Please Verizon bring Fios here!!

Old 01-29-2021, 05:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I hate Suddenlink too but like others have said, they are the only game in town. Their customer service SUCKS. But I have found their internet quality to be very good so there's that.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:36 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
I have had terrible experiences with Suddenlink and Hughes Net and Century Link - and none of them have good customer service nor do what they say they will do. I am looking into a service called Nomad. I saw a couple on Youtube who moved out to the country but didn't count on having such dismal internet services available and one of their streams of income was going to be their YouTbe channel. So after awful experiences with the providers I mentioned, and then trying several other providers I'm not familiar with, they said they were extremely happy with Nomad and there is no contract -- if you are not satisfied with or cannot use their service, there is no expense or fees associated with cancelling their services...you just send back the equipment and move on. I am HOPING they are going to be as good as these people say, because I will be working from my home at Cedar Creek Lake beginning this summer (I've been working in Dallas and took a little studio so I didn't have to commute, now since COVID I will be able to continue working remotely permanently). I'm used to streaming Youtube videos all day and watching movies, etc. in addition to using the internet for my computer needs and my work needs. So, keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:33 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
How is the reception now with one, two, or three new providers in the county? I see orange and white colored posts everywhere. What service is that, is it finished, up, and running?

Old 11-16-2023, 01:50 AM

4 posts, read 2,773 times
The internet options are nonexistent for most residents. We're relegated to Optimum service, which is often anything but optimum.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Optimum is a ridiculous company.

I want to say one thing though. A few years ago I was running back and forth with boxes, to Suddenlink (now Optimum). Someone somewhere told me to buy a router and a box - I don't even know what I bought - LOL. I spent around $40 and it was the best money I have ever spent. I have never upgraded it but it literally never goes out. This was at least five years ago.

I bought whatever it was that I bought at Best Buy right there in Tyler, TX. All I did was go in with my current box or whatever and tell them, "I need something or other, and I want to replace this," and they sold me something or other and it's been great.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:32 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Suddenlink is OK. Merely OK. I worked tech support for them for a while. It’s a bit big for its britches, but it functions well for a casual user. I have no idea what you’d need for your line of work, though, or what suddenlink would lack for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: