Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 33,882 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Tyler.
My wife and I drove around Tyler a couple of weeks ago and we're liking the southern part of the area. We looked at a few neighborhoods to get some ideas of what we might like, but for now it will just be me living in Tyler for about the first 6 months. Then my wife and our Westie puppy will move down and we'll look for a home to buy. And then, babies.

So I need to get an apartment. Since it'll just be me, I'll only need a one bedroom. I thought about an efficiency/studio, but I'd like to be able to host a guest and at least provide the semi-privacy of the common area & my futon to stay overnight. A two bedroom would be better, but keeping living expenses down is a priority while we're also maintaining our household back home. While on the subject of expense, I don't want to go so low as to be in a sketchy area. I'd really like to be next to the South Tyler Trails, but that's not a neccessity. I stopped by the Hudson apts while we were walking the trail, but they had no 1 beds available. I'm guessing I'll be looking at starting in the $600/mo range to get a nice apt in a low crime area? Less $ would be nice, of course. Hopefully I can get a deal on a place that's ok with my dog visiting on the weekends that my wife comes down.

I'll be there tomorrow, then to Austin, and maybe back to Tyler on Fri.

Are there specific places I should stay away from?

Are there deals on 6mo nice apt rental that someone here may know about? I'm able to pay 6mo upfront if there's a pricebreak to be had that way.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,089,888 times
Hi: I was hoping Metro Matt or others would respond as well. Here goes. The Hudson is an average nice apartment complex. The rents will be about 600-700 for a two bedroom, maybe more. Just stay away for more apartments East of Paluxy and on Shiloh, thousands of apartments there, but do to the numbers, if a rare crime occurs it's in that area... Of course stay in the area of The Hudson, to the West and Soutwest of there and just drive around, you can tell by the type of cars parked at the complexs, The Cambridge is good, many others just don't have my phone book to tell you which ones, you should find 10-12 complexs that might work. We need others for response. Good luck !!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Change of plans. I decided to stay here today and head to Tyler first thing in the morning. I may decide to hang out in Tyler till the end of the week depending on how business in Austin is shaping up for the week. I got a place to stay in Austin, but that's over 4hrs away and I'm 6.5hrs away.
So all of your suggestions are still usefull to me.

Thanks Mark. I kinda got that same feeling about the area east of where the trails were. The places around Broadway and Grande look nice.

The more I think about it the more I want to conserve on the expense of renting. Is there a significant difference in cost between an efficiency/studio and a 1 Bedroom? Since it'll just be me most of the time, it doesn't have to be pretty, just clean. What I mostly want is clean, energy efficient, in a nice area. I must have a place where the a/c can keep the room cool at night. I'd be willing to rent a small house, but I'd imagine that the rent would be significantly higher for a decent area.

I'm really short on time. My exposure to Tyler so far has consisted of me stopping over for a night or two while passing between Memphis and Austin.

BTW
In the meantime, any suggestions for a cheap, nice hotel. The $90/night that I've been paying is really digging into the relocation budget.

Thanks yall.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,009,063 times
My friend just moved into Bullard Crossing on Rice Rd. They are fairly inexpensive & in a safe South Tyler neighborhood. The cool part is there are many amenities within walking distance such as a grocery store with fresh outdoor market, gas station, movie theater, Broadway Square Mall, & a new Taco Bueno going up.

They keep their units very updated as well. I should know, I've done contract work for them.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 PM

Well I made to Tyler just in time to talk to someone in the leasing office at Bullard Crossing. All that is avialable soon is a 1 bedroom $700/mo apartment. The smaller, less expensive ones aren't available till the end of May. I'd like to have something by the end of next week.
She suggested that I check out Bullard Creek, their sister apartments, just down the road a little. So I look at those in the morning.
Heard anything about these?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Check out Roosth Properties and Genocov Properties in the phone book. They have older well kept apartments, but with one year leases. Garage apartments for about 450 that are mostly in safe areas, as well as less expensive older apartment complexes, duplexes etc.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM

33 posts, read 114,599 times
Hello,
How are the Mansion Creek Duplex area? Anyone heard of them? Any idea about the crime rate in that area which is Duplex Location: 8864 CR 273, Tyler, Texas 75707. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM

Been a while, I know. Been super busy, but just a follow up here. I found a small apartment in Jacksonville for significantly less than some similar, but poorly maintained, places in Tyler. I wanted to keep the expenses low while I'm maintaining an actual house that I still own back home.

Now I need to find a good modestly priced place for dry cleaning of my pants done.

And also like to find a nice public access place/park at one of the lakes to go to on my rare occasions of free time.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 638 times
Anybody know of any 2nd chance apt that rent in Tyler TX

Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM

Not quite sure what you meant by 2nd chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler