Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 PM

91 posts, read 338,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
In 2011, is the context of this question about what percentage of Caucasian blood and African blood a person may be appropriate? It would be expected that most (not all) readers here should have "evolved" through education, social interaction and life experience to recognize that while our cultures may have differences we're all the same. Same fears, same loves etc... It's a disappointment to read in this forum that people are still discussing facial features and using antiquated terms to describe racially mixed people. To me this indicates lasting and hidden prejudices continue to exist just below the surface in those who'll be the first to say they're not racist.
The "race" question should be dropped from the U.S. census, for starters. It is racist in its nature.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler00 View Post
The "race" question should be dropped from the U.S. census, for starters. It is racist in its nature.
And they're adding more "races" every time. Pathetic.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
I don't think most people who are only 20% would call themselves black.

Many if not most quadroons are considered and generally look pretty white.
Not true, there are still many Quadroons that still can not pass for White.

Like this former meteorologist for example who used to work for the Fox News Channel. Her name is Domenica Davis and she has a Mulato father who is of Black/German/English ancestry, and an Italian mother.
www.beyondhollywood.com/gallery/stills3/foxnews-domenica-davis-070609 (http://www.beyondhollywood.com/gallery/stills3/foxnews-domenica-davis-070609 - broken link)

She could easily pass for a Puerto Rican due to her mixed race looking phenotype, would you agree ?

Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,675,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post

Like this former meteorologist for example who used to work for the Fox News Channel. Her name is Domenica Davis and she has a Mulato father who is of Black/German/English ancestry, and an Italian mother.
www.beyondhollywood.com/gallery/stills3/foxnews-domenica-davis-070609 (http://www.beyondhollywood.com/gallery/stills3/foxnews-domenica-davis-070609 - broken link)

She could easily pass for a Puerto Rican due to her mixed race looking phenotype, would you agree ?
You don't have to be or look mixed to look Puerto Rican, as people who are very White, Black or Asian-looking also exist in Puerto Rico.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Dude, you really talk like if we were back in the days of segregation. So who is the guard of this "only whites" gate who determines who "passes" or not, is there such a door to start with? I know, I know, in real life there probably is; but at least my experience tells me, that since the days of Luther King, it only happens behind closed doors, among family and close - white - friends.

My experience here in the U.S. (being Puerto Rican) is that Americans care more about how you behave than how you look. I have a neighbor who is of direct Mexican ancestry, nevertheless he doesn't speak Spanish and it's just another one 'of the boys.'

The "racism" problem confronted by many Latinos and Blacks in the U.S. has more to do with the fact that they just behave differently, have their own culture (and language in the case of latinos), which makes it harder for them to break in into the mainstream.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 PM

93,546 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
I don't think most people who are only 20% would call themselves black.

Many if not most quadroons are considered and generally look pretty white.
It depends on who it is and where they are. Some would, but some wouldn't.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM

93,546 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler00 View Post
Dude, you really talk like if we were back in the days of segregation. So who is the guard of this "only whites" gate who determines who "passes" or not, is there such a door to start with? I know, I know, in real life there probably is; but at least my experience tells me, that since the days of Luther King, it only happens behind closed doors, among family and close - white - friends.

My experience here in the U.S. (being Puerto Rican) is that Americans care more about how you behave than how you look. I have a neighbor who is of direct Mexican ancestry, nevertheless he doesn't speak Spanish and it's just another one 'of the boys.'

The "racism" problem confronted by many Latinos and Blacks in the U.S. has more to do with the fact that they just behave differently, have their own culture (and language in the case of latinos), which makes it harder for them to break in into the mainstream.
It's all connected, as expectations and assumptions can be formed based on skin color too. I've experienced this.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,911 times
Quote:

She still looks pretty white, I wouldn't say she passes for the average PR.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's all connected, as expectations and assumptions can be formed based on skin color too. I've experienced this.
Of course that's true, but passed that that initial stereotype it's all about your performance (which will be a product of your beliefs, your background, your own prejudices, etc). That's where it is all beyond race; it's all about who you feel you are and/or where you want to be.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,622 times
Quote:
She still looks pretty white, I wouldn't say she passes for the average PR.
You are Puerto Rican, so ofcourse she looks White to you. Puerto Ricans have a different definition of what looks White than Americans do.

Look at her broad African shaped nose, she would never pass for White here in the U.S.
http://www.fineanchors.com/wp-conten...Davis92610.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.