Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
Read the post above yours and some others by the natives
Do you still want them going there
Here we go again. I was waiting for all the bumblefoots to join in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 01:03 PM

57 posts, read 250,973 times
FESTUS10.
I sent you a PM my daughter is going to UVI in the fall as well.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 12,024 times
Default Teaching in St.Thomas

Hello All,

I checked older posts and could not find another that answered my question....so, I figured I would throw a post out.

I am a Special Education Teacher from the suburbs of Chicago, IL and St.Thomas has teaching positions available for the 2010/2011 school year.
I have never been to the island, but have read as many posts as possible in order to get a feel for what I might be getting myself into. I would be moving there alone and without a car (leaving it with family in Chicago).

Are the public schools a good option for a white male non-local teacher??? I have read conflicting posts about how safe/unsafe the schools are and racism from locals.

I am not worried about conforming to local customs, being in the minority, local vices, or drinking water....what I don't want - is to accept a position and find out that the school has not been completely honest with me and I end up leaving after one school year (or sooner).

Thanks,
I would appreciate any helpful feedback!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I've known a few teachers in the public school system over the years who have fit your "profile" and they settled in well but only stayed for a year or so. You really shouldn't make any sort of a decision without coming here for a few weeks to check out the schools and the island and see if life here would suit you.

If you do decide to make a move, bringing a car with you isn't necessarily the most sensible thing to do but you WILL need to have a car here. Taxis are very expensive and public transportation isn't reliable.

For tons of information go to www.vimovingcenter.com which is a site specifically designed for those looking to relocate. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
My room mate is from St. Croix in the Virgin Islands. Let me tell you that they do have a heavy accent complete with their own set of slang terms. However, the difference is that they are easily able to speak, as my roomie calls it, "normal English." I couldn't really understand her at first when she would have her accent going, but after about 2-3 months of living with her I could understand fairly easily. And they can speak without the accent if needs be.

I'd be careful about where you live though. The areas of tourism will be expensive and not at all representative of the rest of the island. I'd suggest touring the non-tourist areas in order to really know how it is there. I can tell you that they have, on St. Croix at least, a very big nightlife in non-touristy areas. I hope you like to groove! :-) Also, they have yearly festivals and such which are very colorful and exciting. Let me know if you have any other questions and I can ask my roomie. Good luck! Man I wish I was moving there! So sick of the Northeast.
Ill be Going to St Croix soon to visit family...This thread is interesting.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriscottage View Post
All that about saying good morning & afternoon didn't work for us. Not all but most were RUDE to us anyway. People who aren't locals should be able to act they way they normally act. It isn't MY custom to say good morning.
We finally stopped making the effort. I don't act different when I go to another state is US, why should I there? What makes them so special?
To me, they are the RUDE ones to treat visitors this way all because they didnt say good morning, give me a break.
The blacks are for sure predjudice against whites. One example: While shopping downtown, one lady trying to draw us in her store, asked if we were shopping for jewelry. I said no. (We had already bought all we needed.) She asked why NOT? You don't like black people? I said "Yeah, that's it." How absurd and rude this ignorant person would say that to us.
The taxi drivers and local drivers were especially rude and beligerent. We had a rental car and they acted like we had no right to be on the road.
I think the natives of STT need to figure out that tourist drive their economy and if it weren't for us, they'd have no JOBS. That's for the ones who have jobs and wern't loitering on the streets drinking all day...who would also walk right out in front of your car.
I'd never go back and if I had known how the locals were and traffic, I'd never have gone.
It appeared most residents were low income and my guess is they resent tourist who come there because they can afford to vacation and spend $
I am not going to apologize for not being poor.
WOW. I suggest you never leave the mainland united states (hawaii would be a nightmare for you) with that attitude.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
My daughter and her family moved there in Sept. First if you are having anything shipped choose a shipping company wisely and if you are having your car shipped expect some delays through DMV.

Only complaints from them. Your electricity will run pretty high I mean really high. Thiers about $500 for 20 days. Hope that you have AC or a very good fan.

The islanders are rude especially at the grocery stores. However, once they see you over and over they ease up a little.
If you like to drink the Rum is very cheap and very good. My daughter has even started incorporating into the food.

Grocery Store: Food is a lot more than here in the US. Milk $7 for a gallon, up to $20 for a case of water. Frozen pizza’s $$. You say ok I will go out for dinner. Think again. Plan on spending $30-$40 each without any drinks.

Check with cell phone plan before you go. They had to switch their plan.

The weather is absolutely beautiful.

Best of luck on your move and enjoy the easier way of life and oh don’t run over the roosters not only are they food they are pets that room the streets.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM

15 posts, read 69,999 times
I have lived in St. Thomas and St. Croix.
Both Islands are like night and day when compared to each other. What is it you are looking to do or to get out of the "Island life"?
What age group are you? Are you Caucasian? TONS of variations, Personally I loved St. Thomas, Hated St. Croix and was mesmerized by St. John. Finances play a big part of your experience there, also you will need to program your brain on 'island time', and remember to say the proper greeting before starting a conversation (good morning, good afternoon, good day or good evening), if you don't you may not get a response.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:55 PM

English is spoken as the primary in all the V.I., you will come across patwa, creole and Cruzan. You have the rastafarians and the like, you will be able to understand 99.9% OF IT ALL,worry not man!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:10 PM

HERE HERE!!
Well put. I lived on St. Croix and I lived in St. Thomas. I found the people on St. Thomas to be friendly, polite and for the most part, MUCH MORE RESPECTFUL than on the mainland. I had no problems with drinking the water, although the rum is drank like water (LOL). Unlike the continental U.S., people are jovial and are more apt to help you with anything they can. VISIT first, then you'll have a better understanding of the mindset and St. Thomian ideals and cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories