Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 37,040 times

Advertisements

Texas is trying to recruit bi-lingual teachers. Keep in mind that the "spanish" here is nothing like the Spanish you learned in school. The best example PR Spanish...Chino means orange juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,072 times
As far as I know it's "jugo de CHINA" what stands for orange juice, never used the word chino used for that (like China, chino is literally the male conjugation for someone/something "chinese" ) , not in my household anyways, but this may vary regionally.

At any rate, to the poster who infered cost of living must be low given the low teacher salary in PR...haha, quite the opposite is the case. Cost of living is rather high in metro San Juan. Most teaching jobs in the island are de facto part-time jobs. Hardly anybody who works as a teacher in the island is the primary breadwinner, they are almost exclusively part of a dual houshold income, and when it comes to public school jobs you have to contend with mainland inner-city type dynamics in many of the metropolitan area schools, and even many of the rural municipal ones.

As to the English not being spoken among other locals, it is somewhat true that there is a stigma attached to how broken your English is in "highlighting" your socio-economic status by inference to where you got your English education (public/private). However, the primary reason I believe English is discouraged among locals is because it is perceived to be a cultural "sell-out" characteristic, and islanders are heavy in pushing the nationality agenda in PR. Proficiency in English (and the subsequent desire to practice it in the island, where most argue it is not "needed" in day to day operations) is perceived to be a political statement and a general icon as to your attitudes about Puerto Rican "nationality". It's retarded but it keeps people from becoming fully bilingual in the island every day, believe it or not.

My advice would be to look for a Fed job, that's the only reason I'd move to the island (well, I wouldn't anyways since I could find same fed job up here, but you catch my drift), otherwise forget it, you're better off career wise staying up in the states. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:30 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
It is interesting to learn that "50 percent earned more than $17,010 per year". Of course this does not say much about the average income in the Metro S.J. area. However, this may imply something about the average cost of living. If most people make around 17k a year, then things can't be too expensive or these people would starve to death.
This is way they have second jobs... heck sometimes more than 2 jobs.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,302 times
I just received my Master in Education with a certification in Science (Secondary) I wanted to know, what opportunities do they have in PR for someone with my qualifications. I have read other postings about salary and benefits. Could some one give me a concrete reply on how much teachers start off with and how is the price of living.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,742 times
The price of living is shockingly high. I moved here from an affluent community in the states. The housing, utilities and groceries are very high here. Clothes, movies, barbers/hairdressers and other services are slightly lower.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 19,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americaninpr View Post
Texas is trying to recruit bi-lingual teachers. Keep in mind that the "spanish" here is nothing like the Spanish you learned in school. The best example PR Spanish...Chino means orange juice.
(I don't want to offend) China means orange and yes if you ask for orange juice it will be jugo de china, But Chino means a child in the colombian dialect. As an Esl teacher in NC and native from Puerto Rico the Spanish language is very complex.

Teaching in Puerto Rico is no different than teaching here in the United States. you need your credentials and license. You have the Public System, It is hard to get a job specially if you don't have any experience. They will give it to a native person rather than an outsider, and the Private schools are good but there is too much "B S"(social). The pay is LOW in both areas, my mother taught for many years till she retire and at that time 3 years ago my mother was making less than me as a new teacher. Don't get me wrong I love my Island and the people. I fact my husband and I are considering moving to the Island some time next year and we have agreed that I will need to do something different.

Hope this info is helpful

Last edited by marjur; 07-05-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 19,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL.I.AM1215 View Post
I just received my Master in Education with a certification in Science (Secondary) I wanted to know, what opportunities do they have in PR for someone with my qualifications. I have read other postings about salary and benefits. Could some one give me a concrete reply on how much teachers start off with and how is the price of living.
Depending on the area of living, metro is $$$ for example
Car (buying) and about 30% to price here in the US and that is what you will pay in Puerto Rico.
House (buying) depends on the area, 200k and up. Renting is always more affordable.

a good source of information is the local news paper, elnuevodia.com

Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,231 times
Post Hello ^^

Hello, We're Minaku and Satsuki.
We live in Puerto Rico.
Yes, in June and July (sometimes August) is hot.
There's a 50% that you will get a job, the 50% is because the ecconomy is not good and so theres a little probabily, anyway, some Puertorican are bilingual, some are not, well most of the people thought, and the tempeture in San Juan can go up in a 101 degress or sometimes goes to 115 degress, but San Juan is a beautiful place to live so we think is no problem.
Living in Puerto Rico is quite mmm lets say medium, because no one will no whenever its gonna be hot or cold and there to many people in the Mall, you will see more people on Sunday and Monday and Saturday (practically like in the US) and there only come fenomens but the beach in summer is incrediblely good.
sometimes the lights go or the water.
The rivers are a good choice to enter if you dont like the sea and if you want to travel all Puerto Rico its only takes a day and so its good to live here, but there are no jobs in San Juan, well there jobs but deppend on it.
If you are going to become a Teacher, then there jobs avalible i think.

Well hope this help ^^
Sincerily
Minaku and Satsuki
PS: i feel that we just writted a email or a lettet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories