Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,343 times

Advertisements

I have read all the comments in this thread and it has been very informative. STT Resident you are extremely informative and sound like you know a lot. I am thinking of moving out there here in the next few years after saving up. I planned on moving to go to school years ago but never went through with it . So I am thinking of maybe picking that back up. But any information or links to long term rentals, jobs, or more information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megsaturday View Post
I have read all the comments in this thread and it has been very informative. STT Resident you are extremely informative and sound like you know a lot. I am thinking of moving out there here in the next few years after saving up. I planned on moving to go to school years ago but never went through with it . So I am thinking of maybe picking that back up. But any information or links to long term rentals, jobs, or more information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
I suggest you go to the VI Relocation site linked in the post before yours. You'll find a ton of general information there, an active forum, a classified ad section and much more which will keep you busy for some time!

Old 12-21-2014, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 7,726 times
I noticed people seeking job information and relocation advice on this well-read thread regarding St. Croix, and this forum's general request for updates. Here is some upbeat news for people curious about St. Croix and the U.S. Virgin Islands in general.

The abrupt closing of the Hovensa oil refinery in 2012 had a serious negative impact on the St. Croix economy, being one of St. Croix's primary employers. Now some years of transition have passed.

Some daily living costs seem to have found their adjusted level at lower cost, as one would expect, such as the real estate market for people seeking relocation for retirement, returning "home," adventure or other reasons. Rental rates are lower, and can often provide a nicer place than the same rent in some expensive mainland cities.

Some energy generation adaptations of propane gas and solar power that have been in the works for years are finally coming on line. WAPA, who earned their reputation for some of the highest electric power rates anywhere, has pledged significant reduction in utility costs for the very near future. The newly elected governor of the U.S. VIrgin Islands has a law enforcement background as well as impressive credentials relevant to business development and government administration.

Research and extended "pre-move visits" are highly recommended for anyone considering relocating to St. Croix, as well as patience and flexibility. Change is reputed to come only slowly to the Virgin Islands .... as a friend once said "as slow as a turtle in galoshes". But change does come.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times
Default St. Croix

I moved to St. Croix with $600 in my pocket and one suitcase - and made it a year. Granted it was a little rough, I still made it. The return ticket might still be a good idea, but I didn't do it because I didn't want to be able to wimp out. I got along with all of the locals fine by just being me, I took "De candy" lady (an adorable 75 year old local that came by the bars on the boardwalk every night selling snack to the patrons), and I helped five dollah man a local who was homeless, and bought cigarettes for a local that worked at Hovensa, the biggest company on the island. And helped Washington, a homeless rasta guy and crack head that was always losing his shoes in the bushes near Strand Street, where I worked. Before I went home each night I would go find him sandals and find him sleeping in dem bushes somewhere and lay them next to him with a couple dollars.
I fixed all of local's computers and knew all of the bartenders (maybe a little too well) after a few months they considered me a local. after six months they even let me go buy a Cruzian bracelet from Sonia, the only place to buy real ones. If you buy them before you've been there six months the locals hate you, but I'm still wearing it right now . The point is acclimate yourself to the culture and you'll fit right in. It was kind of expensive to live there because things that are good for you cost a fortune, but Rum and Cigs were cheap about $2 for Rum and $1 for smokes. Make friends with a good Taxi driver, Big John if he's still there and make friends with a good bartender (they'll show you how to get around) As far as entertainment, most of the places there have a book exchange and a movie exchange shelf in their place of business so you can just grab a book and relax staring at the water. I wrote a book instead. Crime has gone up in St. Croix, but if you don't look like a tourist and don't go running around the streets at 2am, like I did and almost got mugged - but Washington saved me, you'll probably be all right. I ran up to the ghetto places many times, the Dominican bars, the Puerto Rican bars and many places I didn't belong and as long as I showed respect they left me alone. Generally most of the scared whiteys dem go hidin' when dem sun go doon. But I used to go to the Dollah bar and have beers and watch Cricket with the locals. You'll love the food, a little strange, I ate goat tacos, but they were good, and I hated Conch, lol. You won't really care about TV much there. The beaches were absolutely beautiful, just watch the fire coral. The scuba is some of the best in the world, go to BlackBeards, I still have one of his t-shirts somewhere though I never had time to get certified so I never got to dive. You can Snorkel everywhere though and it's amazing how much life you see. Although it's kind of a hub for transit, don't go to Times Square (i think it's called) after dark - that's where all the crack dealers hang out at night. I got away with it because my buddy was caretaker for a closed hotel that the crack-heads would break into at night and they knew if they screwed with either of us they'd have no roof. Let's see, what else... You have to see the Jungle Bar and have Mama Wanna - though only a sip before you see the beer drinking pigs. If anyone asks, you love Tim Duncan - you see that when the plane lands. you'll probably want to just buy a beater for a car but he was right, you have to drive to get supplies there. I think there's only Sunny Isle to get groceries and one place center island. It was cheaper to go to a laundry-mat than to wash clothes because water is expensive, Don't drink Cistern Water! I got so sick from it. I've gone to long loving the place, I'm working my way back to it right now. so in conclusion of my crazy-long reply check out the bench I sat every morning on -- [url=http://www.gotostcroix.com/live/]Official Page for Live St. Croix Web Cam in Christiansted | GoToStCroix.com[/url]
it will be a wonderful adventure you will never forget.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:54 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,898,604 times
Official Page for Live St. Croix Web Cam in Christiansted | GoToStCroix.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories