Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 90,707 times

Advertisements

I have lived in several United States and they all have their problems, but I would not live any place else than on St. John, US Virgin Islands.

Clean air and beaches are the rule. Laid back atmosphere and friendly people is also my reason for living here.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Virgin Islands to live?-bethrainbowfrontsuitesmall.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 105,440 times
Default uncle grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSage View Post
I would definately not reccomend it, it is a dangerous crime ridden third world country, regardless of being a US territory. The Islanders are generally very resentful of Americans & I do not know hardly anyone there who has not been robbed, home invasions are common. Most Americans live togeather in clustered compounds because that is the only way they dare stay there.
There is shopping in St. Thomas, but is overpriced & touristy, you might as well just go to Acapulco. St. John is the prettiest, lush & green but not much there really. St. Croix is the largest & also the most dangerous, the east end is flat & dry, TX is much prettier, the west end has a rain forest but it is not a good idea to wander around there as the Rastafarians (I guess) get upset wondering what you are looking for. Get used to shopping at K-Mart as not much else. Even cruise ships have dropped the route due to crime.
The water is certainly blue, & there is some pretty old architecture, mainly Danish, & old sugar mills. Interesting for a day or so. It will cost about a million for any decent house, but you will probably get stuck with it, as many people who can afford them are pulling out. Fishing if you like that of course.
The only good things there are Conch (like Abalone) & great hot sauce, but you can get the former in Key West & import the latter. The weather is unbearably hot & bright, even by most TX standards. The moisture ruins anything nice so you cannot have things like framed prints there. I could go on but if you are really thinking of it you can email me, other drawbacks as well - no medical care - you must be airlifted to decent medical care. In case of hurricanes, riots, ect. it is hard to get off the island, also the local flight services are generally not to safe. It just sucks!!!!!

what a grump. its not for you and im sure the islands are glad you dont live there either.... stay in texas!! the islands are beautiful with beautiful people... its not for everyone , but like anywhere else it has it ADVANTAGES.. and disadvantages

Moderator cut: no links to competing websites

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-20-2007 at 03:32 AM..

Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
I have been a resident of St Thomas for over two decades. The best advice I can offer to anyone interested in moving here is to make an extended pre-move visit (PMV) of at least three weeks.

Do the things that us regular folks do like shopping, banking, driving around. Read the local newspapers, go to the post office(s), stay in a condo or guest house rather than a resort, check out the employment market and talk to as many people as you can to see if island living is something you can deal with. It's absolutely not for everyone (thank goodness, judging from a couple of poster comments on this thread!) and the newbie attrition rate is high!

Of course there are problems here as there are anywhere else in the world but for me it's home and I can't imagine ever living anywhere else. When the woes of the world become oppressive from time to time, a few hours on a beautiful beach swimming in pristine water with the palm trees rustling in the breeze is a cure-all for true. Cheers!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,282,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I have been a resident of St Thomas for over two decades. The best advice I can offer to anyone interested in moving here is to make an extended pre-move visit (PMV) of at least three weeks.

Do the things that us regular folks do like shopping, banking, driving around. Read the local newspapers, go to the post office(s), stay in a condo or guest house rather than a resort, check out the employment market and talk to as many people as you can to see if island living is something you can deal with. It's absolutely not for everyone (thank goodness, judging from a couple of poster comments on this thread!) and the newbie attrition rate is high!

Of course there are problems here as there are anywhere else in the world but for me it's home and I can't imagine ever living anywhere else. When the woes of the world become oppressive from time to time, a few hours on a beautiful beach swimming in pristine water with the palm trees rustling in the breeze is a cure-all for true. Cheers!

Cheers? Me thinks maybe you are a displaced Brit? LOL!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:35 PM

59 posts, read 363,100 times
Quote:

Good advice. Many people do not realize exactly how high the attrition rate is for people moving to islands for the first time. It is even high somewhere like Hawaii which is much bigger and has far more amenities and a better infrastructure than smaller places like the Virgin Islands. So, you definitely need to plan an extended trip in advance and live as much like a local as possible while you're there. See how much food, utilities, etc. cost. Find out from the locals how often they have to deal with power and water outages. Can you even drink the tap water for that matter or is expensive bottled water a necessity? etc. etc. etc. If island life was perfect bliss then places like the Virgin Islands would already be packed to the gills with expats.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 AM

90 posts, read 303,012 times
Default Guest houses?

Quote:
, stay in a condo or guest house rather than a resort
Can anyone tell me where I can find information on guest house stays?

TIA

Ralph

Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,282,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmen View Post
Can anyone tell me where I can find information on guest house stays?

TIA

Ralph
Which island, Ralph? St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island are all part of the V.I., but I doubt seriously you will find a guest house on Water Island and probably not on St. John. Perhaps STT Resident will weigh in on St. Thomas - the only place I am aware of there that is good for transitional living is Villa Fairview, (google Villa Fairview St. Thomas and you'll get the picture) - the proprietor, Ronnie, is well known for guiding newcomers through the initial process of relocating. If it's St. Croix, I have several ideas of places in private homes - but knowing where you're headed is the first step! St. Croix has more of a rural feel to it, St. Thomas is a hub of activity, and St. John is just plain expensive, but not as bad as Water Island (where there is zilch in the way of job opportunities, and you really need your own boat to shuttle to St. Thomas). Employment would play a big factor in deciding where to go - also, if you have children, please research the public school system before diving in.

As mythspell mentioned, it's a great dream but not always practical...and the VI ARE becoming loaded down with ex-pats, but the faces seem to change on a regular basis...the attrition rate is extremely high. (that's info coming from an attritioned mainlander!)

I omitted one thing - the short term guest houses are usually for those anticipating a move, not for vacationers. There are lots of condos and houses for rent for that purpose. Best advice has been given before, but I'd elaborate on it somewhat, which will cause a serious dent in your pocketbook - visit the 3 main islands for at LEAST 4-5 days EACH before narrowing it down, then go back to your island of choice for another week or two and try to maintain your regular schedule of travel to work, shopping, etc. It's not just the U.S. with a prettier view, it's just not. We lived on St. Croix and in hindsight probably should have picked St. Thomas, simply because it seems more open to mainlanders and travel to STT is easier if going to and from the mainland. We didn't live there, though, so I could be completely wrong with that statement. There are probably more job opportunities on St. Thomas, but so much depends on what you want to do and your ability to accept the lifestyle. If you're Type A, it may drive you nuts. Island time is alive and well - and it sounds great, but in practicality it can be frustrating. The slow pace transitions from the beaches to the businesses and waiting in line becomes an art form. Everything seems to take twice as long and cost twice as much, but that's the view from rural Arkansas. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-14-2007 at 03:52 AM..

Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Sam I Am has pretty much put it in a nutshell and I would absolutely second her recommendation of Ronnie's Villa Fairview on STT to stay for a pre-move visit. He does indeed have a stellar reputation for helping out prospective "newbies" on PMVs as well as those who have made the move and need temporary accomodation while they find their way around the island and settle into jobs. Good luck and cheers!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM

70 posts, read 288,208 times
Quote:

My sentiments exactly. Wife and I spent 5+ yrs. on St.Croix til Hurricane Hugo did a number on us. All in all with the ups and downs we would'nt trade our time there for the world. One thing about the islands is that nothing ever felt like work, if I was having a bad day all I had to do was look up and out at that beautiful sea and the worries would just slide away. I would advise anyone moving down to expect to slow your pace down and learn to go with the flow. Meet the Islanders, not just your race and you will be a better person for it and will have a much better understanding of the islands and the people that inhabit them.
Things I miss; sunsets, 3 kings day, cheap rum, diving, fishing, Buck island,etc.
Things that I don't miss; Traffic, mainlanders, being able to read 1/2 of a new book while waiting for hours to renew my car registration or license, same for the bank, watching newcomers start self destructing after they are on Island just a short time on drugs and/or alcohol.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:51 AM

26 posts, read 337,877 times
Default I agree

[quote=TxSage;521841]I would definately not reccomend it, it is a dangerous crime ridden third world country, regardless of being a US territory. The Islanders are generally very resentful of Americans & I do not know hardly anyone there who has not been robbed, home invasions are common. Most Americans live togeather in clustered compounds because that is the only way they dare stay there.

Unless you where Born there it is a ruff place. Fun for a year or 2 until you get robbed/hurt. I lived there in the 80's and it was bad then now worse. St. John is fine if you don't have to work and if you don't have to work the USVI would be the last place in the Carribean you would want to go except maybe Haiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories