Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 13,412 times

Advertisements

The only reason people judge mexicans the most is because they are the majority in US for latinos. It could be any other race or culture and they would get the same treatment. This country is just negative and qiuck to blame the other.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM

181 posts, read 687,570 times
Mexico has so much money from tourism and oil, which we buy from them. It has beautiful geography, mountains, two oceans. It's a shame they can't get a decent honest government. That country should be booming. It's older than the US!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guero83 View Post
The only reason people judge mexicans the most is because they are the majority in US for latinos. It could be any other race or culture and they would get the same treatment. This country is just negative and qiuck to blame the other.
No, Wrong! There has been alot of violence from Mexicans. You don't find this type of violence from people who come here from Germany, the UK, Scandanavia.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice66 View Post
No, Wrong! There has been alot of violence from Mexicans. You don't find this type of violence from people who come here from Germany, the UK, Scandanavia.
LMAO! So 6 million Jews killed during WW2 isn't violent? Get off your white supremacist high horse.

Are u saying we are genetically predisposed to be violent? And by we, I am including ALL Latinos, because the current region-wide drug war spans from Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo, Mexico, Colombia all the way down to Bolivia and Brazil, and horrible carnal violence happens throughout the region.

Violence in Latin America is borne out of poverty, desperation, powerlessness, and greed. We have been programmed for 500 years to believe that laws work against the poor, that policemen are bribe-starved nuisances, that those at the bottom don't even deserve scraps and get stepped on and are to be stolen from as much as possible.... so yes, the only way to survive in a lot of instances is through violent crime. By the 3rd or 4th generation, that kind of killer instinct kind of wanes of a bit in the U.S. Prime example: El Paso and San Antonio, two predominantly Mexican-American cities with large groups of 3rd generation Mexicans, have some of the lowest urban crime rates in the U.S.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM

177 posts, read 959,094 times
Your response is very offensive and inconsiderate, but your intentions are probably good. Before we continue, do you know the history of American Natives and how their empires were created? One can point a finger at the Mexicans and say that their ancestors are not free of violent transgressions in the past. It is such dangerous generalizations that have lead to the genocide of WWII.

It is likely that you wanted to say that violent behavior was also exhibited by other migrant populations in the past (specifically to the US). One example is time of New Amsterdam (a.k.a., New York), and until today we have the Italian and Asian mafias. Should we claim that all Italians are violent? No. The key factor is economical status of the migrant's source nation. Many European nations are better off and new migration is very small. Therefore, the old European migration groups are well established and have collectively accumulated a considerable amount of wealth. With wealth comes education and the need for internal safety. Mexico is still a developping economy and one day it may also find its grove.

There is one other aspect to this discussion. The culture of crime and violence is largely a result of the prohibition on drugs in the US. It is the demand for these illegal drugs that fuels the violence. There is probably lots of blame to go around, and nobody is completely innocent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
LMAO! So 6 million Jews killed during WW2 isn't violent? Get off your white supremacist high horse.

Are u saying we are genetically predisposed to be violent? And by we, I am including ALL Latinos, because the current region-wide drug war spans from Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo, Mexico, Colombia all the way down to Bolivia and Brazil, and horrible carnal violence happens throughout the region.

Violence in Latin America is borne out of poverty, desperation, powerlessness, and greed. We have been programmed for 500 years to believe that laws work against the poor, that policemen are bribe-starved nuisances, that those at the bottom don't even deserve scraps and get stepped on and are to be stolen from as much as possible.... so yes, the only way to survive in a lot of instances is through violent crime. By the 3rd or 4th generation, that kind of killer instinct kind of wanes of a bit in the U.S. Prime example: El Paso and San Antonio, two predominantly Mexican-American cities with large groups of 3rd generation Mexicans, have some of the lowest urban crime rates in the U.S.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:21 PM

El Paso and San Antonio, two predominantly Mexican-American cities with large groups of 3rd generation Mexicans, have some of the lowest urban crime rates in the U.S.

Just go across the border from El Paso and you will be in one of the most violent places around. I had a professor from Costa Rica, who said she would never go back there, it's so violent. Why can't Mexico have laws like the US and KEEP them? Why don't they have an HONEST tax system? Why don't they have better MORALS?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Another thing, we go to our other neighboring country, Canada and there is no fear. It's wonderful normal well behaved people. You can travel all over it's continent without fear. Mexico? Ha!

Old 02-13-2010, 02:45 PM

174 posts, read 596,897 times
Mexico is a country that has a tremendous amount of potential to really turn itself around if the governmanet really wanted to. This is a country that is rich in oil but will not permit foreign companies to come in and drill and develope this resource. Instead they prefer to continue to stagnate like they have for the last 50-100 years. Look at some of the arab countries in the middle east and see what the oil revenues have done for them like Dubai, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. They have more money than they know what to do with.Until the political leaders get seriious about stamping out corruption and get real about the rule of law, nothing in Mexico will change. Just look at the human potential they lose every year from the the number of people that leave Mexico and settle in the US. These are the people that can become a vibrant middle class.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 20,084 times
Benice,
What the hell is your problem? If you're Puerto Rican, everything you say about Mexicans and Mexico actually applies to Puerto Ricans as well. I used to dislike Mexicans as well, then I was in the Army and I was stationed in Fort Bliss in El Paso. I had 2 Mexican roomates and lived mostly among Mexican people. Puerto Ricans and Mexican are very different; we have different foods, different words for same things (naranja/china), and we have different music. But at the end of the day, we speak the same language, we have the same families, we see the world the same way, we both go through the same struggles in this country.
I think the majority of hate spewed on this forum stems from ignorant Bornicuas who either never have left the island, or just stayed in cultural islands in the CONUS and never made an effort to reach out and befriend other people. And yeah, there's misunderstanding, and there's a lot of differences that create conflict. For example, we are loud, ALL boricuas on the mainland are proud and hang PR flags wherever there is a place to hang it, we are in your face, etc. For Mexicans, national pride is kind of tacky and only the cholos and the hoodrats have the Mexican flag. They are more quiet, they are a little more reserved, etc. They only get in your face and loud if you really **** them off. These are just generalizations, but it's what Ive seen, and yeah differences create the conflicts and misunderstandings, but thats why you make an effort to reach out and understand others.
As far as I see it, Benice, you are an idiot and an embarassment of a human being.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:29 AM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times
First of all, I must say, it's nice to be back in PR and on city data. I do part-time paramedic work here in Puerto Rico and I was in Haiti for the last month... I know it's irrelevant to the post... Nevertheless, it’s nice to brag about it online, cuz in person I kind of keep it to myself as to not seem like a self-aggrandizing a*hole. It definitely was cool to help out.

LOL! I don't even know where to begin! I'm being attacked left and right. It's ok though... being Mexican is tough anywhere (even Mexico), and sometimes even tougher online, when people feel free to say whatever they want. (Present company included)

InNeedofAnswers: What part of my post was offensive? I was responding to Benice implying that Mexicans are genetically predisposed to violent acts when Northern Europeans were peaceful, loving people. It was, afterall, Germany, who engineered the death of 6 million Jews and 12 million people overall. It was the initial English immigrants who wiped off the natives through massive acts of Genocide. We all have violent pasts, it's human nature. Outside of that point, I think you and I probably agree on everything else you mentioned in your post.

Benice66: Yes, Juarez is a cesspool of violence and I myself wouldn't cross the border. But El Paso has remained a relatively safe city. My point is that, bad governance and economic situations, not a person's genetic traits, creates these situations. The comparisons you make between the Northern European immigrants and Mexican immigrants is somewhat unfair. The former came to the country with some education, knowledge of agriculture, land grants from the U.S government, and a country that received them with open arms, etc.... the latter came from the poorest strata of an already impoverished society, no money, no education and to a country that doesn't really want them for anything other than cheap labor. It's like comparing Haiti and Sweden... or Canada and Mexico.

Mexico is a LatinAmerican country with a slew of problems that stems from 500 years of Spanish rule. It has very deep social problems, very rigid social stratification, an uneven distribution of wealth, and up until the last couple decades, serious contempt for educating the masses. Added to this is a history of being abused and exploited for natural resources for years after independence, which leads me to a response to Mike-Ed:

Mike-Ed:
Mexico and the rest of Latin America are extremely weary of foreign investors drilling and using their lands for natural resources. Before I continue, I must say I 100% agree that Mexico would be better off allowing foreign companies to drill for oil, take their money, pay taxes on the oil (the way Saudi and the gulf states have it), and mroe efficiently run the wells.
But what you must understand is that for the length of it's existence, Mexico and Latin America in general has been a backyard for stealing resources and cheap opressed labor for the United States for the last 100 years. Look up the Monroe Doctrine to learn more about this. Moreover, it is political suicide to privatize the oil industry in Mexico because it is believed to be the jewel of it's patrimony. Students of UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico) have their tuition subsidized because of the money made in PEMEX. The subways in Mexico City are 2 cents a ride mainly due to the money made in PEMEX. A million and one things are subsidized from money made through PEMEX, and while it makes more sense to make MORE money from a private oil industry, the snakes who constrict the oil industry constantly tell the Mexican public that foreigners will steal the rug from under them, and the public, one who is generally skeptical of the government, for some reason believes it. Same thing, I believe, is happening in Venezuela. Venezuela just has more oil and less people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories