Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,126 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know any details about Robinson and St.John's schools? We are relocating to PR this year and we are looking at these 2 schools for our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM

80 posts, read 448,899 times
Both Robinson and St. John have fabulous reputations in regards to the level of education provided. However, many teacher in PR have strong accents and some are not fully fluent in English. Despite being an all English school, Spanish is spoken from time to time, even in class.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,306 times
which private bilingual school provides an inclusion program in them for a 5th grader? it's like special ed but in a regular setting for children who just need help due to adhd or hyperactivity. Not for retarded or disabled children.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 PM

103 posts, read 302,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torresh8 View Post
which private bilingual school provides an inclusion program in them for a 5th grader? it's like special ed but in a regular setting for children who just need help due to adhd or hyperactivity. Not for retarded or disabled children.
This is a tough one because many private schools would not take special needs children or those who need an IEP. I know because I have a stepdaughter who needs an assistant and call many privates schools in PR and the overall response was the same "having an assitant for a particular student will present a disruption in class".

If you are a federal employee or military you can have your kid enroll in DOD's school and they will provide any educational need you kid might need, other than that is either:

1. Public school(they will provide an assistant)
2. Private school (probably with no assistant)
3. Home schooling

Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM

238 posts, read 1,072,470 times
What they did in my private schools which I find awful is create a special class for them. Leaving them behind in Spanish at least. The instructors of these course aren't special in any way.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 AM

80 posts, read 448,899 times
Robinson School has a special program for children with mild learning or physical disabilities. I'd recommend calling and finding more information.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Can anyone shed some light on their experiences (good/bad) with Private English School instruction (Middle/High Schools) in Puerto Rico where classes/instruction are all conducted in English.

I would like hear mostly from people whose children do not speak spanish that relocated from the continental United States to Puerto Rico,i.e, those that have/had their children in these schools and/or others that may have first hand knowledge.

Did the children adapt to Puerto Rico/Schools?

If you left or will leave Puerto Rico, are schools the primary reason?

Please explain, I would like to hear all negatives and positives, name and geographical location/town of the school, thank you.
It's best to stay away from private schools in Dorado, and if you have a choice, relocate or make the drive to the metropolitan area. TASIS Dorado has a high teacher turnover and kids from the US don't get enough support. I had my kids there for many years. Most of the students are Puerto Rican, so it's hard for children of expats to fit in. It's very cliquey.

Dorado Academy is disorganized, and the teachers seem unhappy and overworked. Lots of politics among the administrators, and even though they say it's an English language school, a lot of the teachers teach in Spanish for the core classes like science, math, P.E., and social studies. A child from the US who doesn't speak Spanish will feel very anxious going to this school.

Baldwin, Maria Reina, San Ignacio, and Robinson are good quality schools in the metropolitan area, but there are many others!
I hope this helps!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,949,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha8874 View Post
It's best to stay away from private schools in Dorado, and if you have a choice, relocate or make the drive to the metropolitan area. TASIS Dorado has a high teacher turnover and kids from the US don't get enough support. I had my kids there for many years. Most of the students are Puerto Rican, so it's hard for children of expats to fit in. It's very cliquey.

Dorado Academy is disorganized, and the teachers seem unhappy and overworked. Lots of politics among the administrators, and even though they say it's an English language school, a lot of the teachers teach in Spanish for the core classes like science, math, P.E., and social studies. A child from the US who doesn't speak Spanish will feel very anxious going to this school.

Baldwin, Maria Reina, San Ignacio, and Robinson are good quality schools in the metropolitan area, but there are many others!
I hope this helps!
Thanks Samantha! We travelled to the island spring of 2010 and visited Dorado, TASIS, Robinson, Cupey, Baldwin and the American school, we liked Dorado Academy the least and it did seem to be unorganized and noticed that the classes were not all taught in English, the others were acceptable, but all of the schools lacked competent teachers that did not have command of the english language. I also spoke with some students in these schools and many told the same story, stating that teachers almost always ended up speaking spanish in class because some students would not understand english instructions in its entirety, so we decided to stay put in the US thus avoiding culture shock and the anxieties associated the with the language barrier that could hinder my kids education.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 AM

107 posts, read 301,715 times
The hardship for Puerto Rico is the low teacher pay that every school suffers from, private or public, and their inability to draw and maintain a highly qualified, English dominant teacher base. Teachers from the states are not drawn to teach in Puerto Rico because the salary is way too low. Teachers starting out can make anywhere from $1500 to $2000 a month starting salary...both of those are truly low once you remove taxes, social security, benefits, etc. That's the real reason why visits to English only private schools from Robinson, TASIS, Dorado Academy or Wesleyan, etc. cannot always maintain their English only standard of performance. They simply cannot afford to pay what a highly qualified teacher needs. I believe Baldwin and St. Johns may be exceptions to this rule.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,124 times
Hola! I am from the States and live in Bayamon now, we speak no Spanish yet, we are working on it. I have soon to be 9th grader. Which school here in or near Bayamon or farther, not too far, good for her to get both languages along with a good education that is affordable? We want to put her in public school if possible. She has been in private and homeschooled in the states,we don't want her fall behind in school because of the language barrier.
Thank-you , NYC-in-PR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories