Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

I have respectfully read and searched through the forums to be sure that I am not opening an unnecessary thread. I cannot find anyone who is having a similar problem.

I was gainfully employed full time Jan 2011 to Nov 2012 I was laid off and opened a regular UI claim. I was receiving $351 each week.

This past claim period my regular benefits were exhausted and I was automatically enrolled in Tier 1 EUC benefits.

This evening I was paid for my first Tier 1 claim. I was only paid $165 each week. For a total of $330 as opposed to my $702 regular claim.

The arbitrary amount seemed familiar so after pulling out old forms from 2010 I realized this was my exact WBA from nearly 3 years ago.

*BACKTRACK*

In January of 2010 (after graduating college in 2009) I was employed by the US government for a whopping 2 months before I was laid off during budget cuts. At that time I had worked very little but was able to qualify for unemployment based on off jobs I held the prior base year during college. At that time I was awarded a WBA of $165 which expired very quickly and I was automatically enrolled in EUC Tier 1 benefits for a few weeks before finding another job.

**PRESENT DAY**
Am I somehow being paid on the EUC benefits from 2010?? It seems to be the case as it is the same exact dollar amount. This is incredibly disturbing given that at the time I was a college student living in dorms and now my lifestyle after being employed for a couple years includes a car payment/a mortgage/and people depending on me.

I will try calling in the morning. And I probably won't sleep until then either...I am REALLY stressing out. Can anyone shed some light on this???? Am I really expected to live on a WBA based on wages I earned while in college??

SERIOUSLY PLEASE HELP ME...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,529,756 times
Point of information, what state are you in? Were both claims filed in the same state?

Sorry to say, there isn't anything you can do about this. See below.

Per FAQS:
Quote:
4. Why has my state put me back on tiers from my old claim, rather than paying benefits from the current claim?

Unexhausted EUC benefits must be paid before current EUC benefits. Not all states have adhered to this order of payment, but most do. Multiple claims are usually paid as follows:

Claim 1 - State benefits
Claim 1 - EUC Tier benefits until subsequent claim established
Claim 2 – State benefits
Claim 1 – EUC Tier benefits until exhausted
Claim 2 – EUC Tier benefits until exhausted
Claim 2 – EB/HUP (if eligible)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
This has happened to many, many people. EUC regs require federal benefits from older claims be exhausted first before paying current claim EUC.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,607,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Point of information, what state are you in? Were both claims filed in the same state?

Sorry to say, there isn't anything you can do about this. See below.

Per FAQS:
This has happened to many, many people. EUC regs require federal benefits from older claims be exhausted first before paying current claim EUC.
Your response brings me to a question regarding multiple state claims and EUC.

I had a stint on FL UI in 2010. I was 6 weeks into EUC Tier 1 when I moved to WA in early 2011.

Hypothetically speaking... If I were to lose my job tomorrow what happens? Obviously 2+ years employment here would entitle me to a new state claim but after the 26 weeks would I got to EUC from the FL claim? What difference does multiple state claims make when it comes to federal EUC?

I'm asking because my $250 weekly FL benefit was considerably less than a $550 weekly WA benefit.. per the WA DOL calculator.

One can never be too sure in this economy and it would be nice to know these things in advance...

Thanks for your expertise.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I had a stint on FL UI in 2010. I was 6 weeks into EUC Tier 1 when I moved to WA in early 2011.

Hypothetically speaking... If I were to lose my job tomorrow what happens? Obviously 2+ years employment here would entitle me to a new state claim but after the 26 weeks would I got to EUC from the FL claim?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
What difference does multiple state claims make when it comes to federal EUC?
Your EUC is based on the unemployment rate of the state paying the claim. Tiers 2, 3, 4 have triggers. If FL's UE rate is lower than WA, you might get only Tiers 1 and 2 from FL, in which case, assuming you had not passed the bye of the WA claim, you would revert to WA EUC. You'd have to call WA to resume. Some states this year are disregarding the bye issue altogether and paying EUC, anyway. Others are not. And - NC will not be paying any EUC to anyone after July 1.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-03-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 11,000 times
ok so instead of starting a new thread since my question has to do with this very thing I figured I would just add it here..

I didn't work a whole lot last year I had some health issues to get taken care of but I finally went back to work in august.. well the job ended(laid off) in nov so I only earned enough to draw $86/week of unemployment for 13weeks which trust me I was thankful for even that.. Well last week was my last week of regular unemployment in which I drew $21(that odd number you all have written about) so I should be transitioning into tier 1 of the extended benefits..
I went online today and did my weekly certification and decided to check the link view benefits/update information where it told me how many weeks I had left and how much I would draw,etc.. It never tells you the length of time you have on your extensions just lists a benefit amt.. Well I was expecting my benefit amount to be around $76 with the new 10.6% decrease in pay the gov voted on.. instead it said $245..

Mind you back in 2008-2009 I had been working the same job for almost 5yrs when the company ran out of work in my area so I drew 26 weeks at $275 per week and back then was when they first started doing extensions so I got the first one for 26 more weeks then the last week of that period I was lucky enough to finally find a job which I accepted and stopped doing my weekly certifications ofcourse.. I found out though that they had approved the other tiers what was my last week of drawing euc..

So finally(sorry for the novel) my question is since its showing my weekly benefit amount is $245 which when you do the math is 10.6% less than $275 does that mean I will be drawing that til the last couple of tiers are done? or what? I could really use the extra money but don't want to get my hopes up thinking I will be getting more...
Also how many weeks will I have left if I have tiers 2 and 3 to go on that particular claim?
Thanks in advance for your help..

Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briton39 View Post
Mind you back in 2008-2009 I had been working the same job for almost 5yrs when the company ran out of work in my area so I drew 26 weeks at $275 per week and back then was when they first started doing extensions so I got the first one for 26 more weeks then the last week of that period

since its showing my weekly benefit amount is $245 which when you do the math is 10.6% less than $275 does that mean I will be drawing that til the last couple of tiers are done?

Also how many weeks will I have left if I have tiers 2 and 3 to go on that particular claim?
Yes, you will be collecting unexhausted federal EUC benefits from your old claim.

If you collected 26 weeks' EUC, you collected all of Tier 1 (20 weeks) and 6 weeks of Tier 2 (14 weeks).

So, you have remaining

Tier 2 - 08 weeks (Tier 2 remains at 14 weeks)
Tier 3 - 09 weeks (Tier 3 was reduced to 9 weeks)

(See FAQS, post 6)

If your state meets the 9% unemployment rate trigger, there is also a Tier 4 for another 10 weeks,

Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,109,855 times
Did the claimant miss the cut off date for HR 4213 application to have that $86/wk claim deferred?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Did the claimant miss the cut off date for HR 4213 application to have that $86/wk claim deferred?
Since we don't know exactly when 2009 claim expired, it's hard to say. HR4213 applies to higher paying claims with byes occurring after 7/24/2010.

Also, more importantly, even if that claim had expired after 7/24/2010, claimant worked between the two claims - Aug-Nov. 2012.

She needed to be collecting on the [possibly eligible] 2009 claim at the time the $83 claim was established in Nov. 2012. She wasn't. So, no HR4213 deferral.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 AM

Thanks for your answers.. actually I know I didn't transfer over into tier 2 because I didn't even know a second one had been triggered.So it very well could have been 20 weeks.. I know it was close to a yr but not quite if I remember correctly. I accepted a job making less than half of what I was making prior to starting unemployment and working 36hrs a week for less than what I was drawing in unemployment because I thought my extension was running out and I needed money... so I should have all 14weeks of the tier 2 and 9 weeks of tier 3.. that would be amazing... Btw I am in Tennessee

Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 AM

also does anyone know if Tennessee makes you wait a week without benefits between the regular unemployment and the extension payments? I cant remember
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment