Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,168 times

Advertisements

I currently work from home for a customer service company and was absent for medical reasons (pregnancy complications) for about 2 weeks. After I came back, my internet/phone service had been disconnected for non payment I had been unable to work since April. Since it's a Work from home position, I have not been able to work at all because these services are required as part of the job. I can use my phone to tether my computer but it is not permitted. I was also on final warning because of previous absences for other medical and non medical reasons. Neither my supervisor or HR has contacted me regarding my absences, even though I already reported that I have no internet/phone service required to work. I don't know if I am still an active employee or I'm going to fired. So my question is, if I quit for not having the necessary tools to work, am I still entitled to unemployment benefits? Or should I just wait until they fire me. Since I am out of work, I am not earning any money and with my pregnancy I am in so much need of these benefits. I hope you guys can help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,218,662 times
Your employer doesn't have to say, "you're fired," to be unemployed. Many a fast food worker finds that they are no longer being scheduled anymore, and are unemployed and should file for benefits.

For you, it comes down to why you're not working. If you are the cause of your internet and phone not working, that's on you and you won't get benefits. However, if your employer had it disconnected, that's a different story.

Your absences and medical/non medical can be an issue, but you need to reevaluate your story. Why aren't you working? That's what this is all about.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Your employer doesn't have to say, "you're fired," to be unemployed. Many a fast food worker finds that they are no longer being scheduled anymore, and are unemployed and should file for benefits.

For you, it comes down to why you're not working. If you are the cause of your internet and phone not working, that's on you and you won't get benefits. However, if your employer had it disconnected, that's a different story.

Your absences and medical/non medical can be an issue, but you need to reevaluate your story. Why aren't you working? That's what this is all about.
My internet/phone connection is disconnected for non payment. I have to have these services connected on my own (I have comcast) in order to work with them. Since I was off work and my husband was between jobs, money was tight and even though these services were a priority, food and rent were first, and my services got disconnected. that has been the main reason for my absences after the I came back from my medical leave. So the services are not my employer's responsibility, nor they pay for them. I have been working with them for almost three years and I am still on schedule. I have to report my absence every day to them, which I had been doing. That being said, my main concern is that if I find someone in my family to pay for the service or lend me the money, I might get fired anyway because I was already on final warning. Or if I quit for not being able to have the tools necessary to work with them, I might/might not be entitled to unemployment benefits, and that's exactly what I want to know before making any move.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:18 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,618,844 times
Sounds like it's on you... If your service was disconnected for non-payment that isn't your employer's problem.

It wouldn't be any different than if I didn't pay my car payment... It got repossessed... Then I quit because I couldn't make it to work every day.

I don't believe that is anything but quitting without cause and would result in no benefits.

If I were you I would ask your family to help you get your services turned back on... Because you may still have a job. If they don't you definitely won't have a job.

A no brainer really...

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM

25,604 posts, read 56,690,434 times
What state are you in?

Does your employer know you are without internet?

Don't quit. You will get nothing. Let them discharge you or stop giving you work. If, after internet is restored, you get no further work from them, file for unemployment benefits. You'll have an uphill battle as it is, getting benefits, because you don't/didn't have the tools to do the work. Don't complicate this battle by quitting.

Second, if neither your nor your husband have any or very little income, apply for food stamps, energy assistance. See your social services people for help. Families w/children are given priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment