Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 12:26 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,776,360 times

Advertisements

I am at risk of not getting my MediCal or Food Stamps next month because Select doesn't want to cooperate. I filed for unemployment because the contract I was at ended and Select hasn't offered me a new full time opportunity and I was unemployed because they charged the office I was too much money so the guy ended up letting me go to hire some one else cheaper.

Is there anything I can do about Select Staffing's lack of cooperation causing me to lose out on social services next month? They've had three weeks. I got one number and called a person and now they aren't returning my calls. I know they are trying to get out of paying unemployment or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,542,235 times
CA will conditionally approve the claim if they do not hear from the agency and begin payments. Call CA and ask when you can expect your money when employer doesn't respond. It should be soon.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
CA will conditionally approve the claim if they do not hear from the agency and begin payments. Call CA and ask when you can expect your money when employer doesn't respond. It should be soon.
My social service worker said if they don't hear from them in 30 days I'd have to re apply to get benefits and I can get accepted in a new application conditionally. I really hope it doesn't get to the point of I have to re apply for everything.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:10 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,118,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I am at risk of not getting my MediCal or Food Stamps
Ariadne22, she's not talking about the UI. She's talking about this. It happens in my state too. Some of the people that work for other social services groups are just as stupid as the EDD workers. They want you to prove that you aren't working in spite of the fact that you're collecting unemployment AND not reporting any wages.

OP, you can't prove a negative. You have to get tough with the workers asking you for this information. You have to pound it into their heads: if you're collecting (that means that EDD has determined that you're not working regardless that you're employer won't cooperate) and you're collecting your full UI benefit, then by pure logic, you have NO income from wages.

In the alternate, is there anyone at the client rather than the agency that will write a letter saying you don't work there and when that occurred?

I went through a similar situation with a neighbor that went to DES for food stamps and AHCCCS. I was at the document windows with her. The DES document worker wanted a letter from the employer saying she wasn't working. I piped up and said, "she's on UI, here's the determination. I know that when I applied, that you DES workers have access to the UI payment screens." The DES worker said, "but you can work while you're on UI." I was like, "yeah, if you want to commit fraud." A supervisor heard my raising voice and interceded. It took some negotiating, but they did back off. There was no reason to produce that letter because the UI people had already done that.

Also, it's a requirement now that SNAP and AHCCCS make you apply for UI FIRST, so that it can be factored in. Before people were applying looking like no income people, and then getting UI, and the adjustments weren't reflected until the next 6 month review, and it was an unfair windfall.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Ariadne22, she's not talking about the UI. She's talking about this. It happens in my state too. Some of the people that work for other social services groups are just as stupid as the EDD workers. They want you to prove that you aren't working in spite of the fact that you're collecting unemployment AND not reporting any wages.

OP, you can't prove a negative. You have to get tough with the workers asking you for this information. You have to pound it into their heads: if you're collecting (that means that EDD has determined that you're not working regardless that you're employer won't cooperate) and you're collecting your full UI benefit, then by pure logic, you have NO income from wages.

In the alternate, is there anyone at the client rather than the agency that will write a letter saying you don't work there and when that occurred?

I went through a similar situation with a neighbor that went to DES for food stamps and AHCCCS. I was at the document windows with her. The DES document worker wanted a letter from the employer saying she wasn't working. I piped up and said, "she's on UI, here's the determination. I know that when I applied, that you DES workers have access to the UI payment screens." The DES worker said, "but you can work while you're on UI." I was like, "yeah, if you want to commit fraud." A supervisor heard my raising voice and interceded. It took some negotiating, but they did back off. There was no reason to produce that letter because the UI people had already done that.

Also, it's a requirement now that SNAP and AHCCCS make you apply for UI FIRST, so that it can be factored in. Before people were applying looking like no income people, and then getting UI, and the adjustments weren't reflected until the next 6 month review, and it was an unfair windfall.
There is no one at the place i worked to prove it. I feel like bugging some one in the temp's local office. EDD told me to file with the labor board about the lack of the temp agency to not give me a paper stating im not with them.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 PM

EDD already knows you're not working there. EDD doesn't pay UI to people that are working.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
EDD already knows you're not working there. EDD doesn't pay UI to people that are working.
I know and it's a bunch of bull what SS is doing. Now SS is saying select staffing has no records I ever worked for them and SS expects me to get the information. How about the stupid people at SS get off their chairs and do some work?

Im almost to the point of complaining to a supervisor. My case manager seems to have no clue.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:11 PM

Did you try sending in your UI payment record and writing, "I'm not working or I wouldn't be getting UI."

Old 05-31-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Did you try sending in your UI payment record and writing, "I'm not working or I wouldn't be getting UI."
I decided to go in there today. I met the supervisor first and she was ready to rescind me losing my benefits but I said I also need MediCal and she said well let's get you set for an appointment right now for both. So I ended up re registering for both. I could have gotten food stamps quicker and easier, but having a same day appointment and not a long wait to get both was worth it! I'll be taken care of for a while, while I wait for my next career opportunity to arise.

Going through the supervisor worked

Old 05-31-2017, 04:52 PM

I feel your pain. I hate when these state agencies allow a third party that you have no leverage over to control your destiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment