Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 02:08 PM

8 posts, read 55,416 times

Advertisements

Long story short:

I could not keep up with the performance expectations of my employer. I was discharged and told my last day would be X.

I applied for unemployment and stated " I was discharged and I don't know why"

Received a letter from EDD requesting a phone interview. And these were some of the potential questions.

1. Why are you no longer working at your very last job?
2. Were you warned that your actions could result in being fired?
3. When were you warned?

Should i take this interview or skip it?

I know the general strategy already and its to be as vague as possible and say as little as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 02:13 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,087,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack612blue View Post
Should i take this interview or skip it?
Skip it.

Let your employer do what they are going to do, but you don't have to help.

So far, you've said nothing bad about yourself which is a good place to be.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 55,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Skip it.

Let your employer do what they are going to do, but you don't have to help.

So far, you've said nothing bad about yourself which is a good place to be.
Interesting thought. Right now I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but If I don't take the interview, and the employer already put out a statement. Wouldn't I automatically lose? Or at least it will trigger a unfavorable decision towards me?

Old 05-31-2017, 02:45 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,087,064 times
Quote:
I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons.
There's no "pro" to taking the call. The best taking the call can do is you NOT disqualifying yourself. At worst, you hurt yourself. Therefore, not taking the call is exactly the same as taking the call and choosing your words carefully. Make your life easier and don't take the call, and then you don' have to think or worry about making a mistake.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but If I don't take the interview, and the employer already put out a statement. Wouldn't I automatically lose?
Maybe, maybe not, but the exact same thing can happen if you take the call.

Quote:
Or at least it will trigger a unfavorable decision towards me?
Not taking the call doesn't result in a worse decision. Your employer is going to say what they are going to say, you can't control that. However, after their card are on the table, then you are in the best position possible at an appeal hearing and THAT is the most important part of the process, not this initial phase.

Also, you don't want to ignore the possibility of an employer nonresponse. If that happens and you told a bad story, then you're responsible for your own disqualification and unnecessary appeal.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:44 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,476 times
Quote:
Interesting thought. Right now I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but If I don't take the interview, and the employer already put out a statement. Wouldn't I automatically lose? Or at least it will trigger a unfavorable decision towards me?
Here is the gross over generalization:

I believe that in all states, it is assumed that the former employee gets benefits by default because it is assumed that most people want to work, follow the rules and try to do the best they can.

It is up to the employer to prove that the employee did not try, i.e. skipping out of work too much, abusing others, etc.

If the employer puts out a statement, you do not lose automatically. The UI people can use the information they have at hand. In your case, if your employer is truthful, you are likely to get UI.

The only case I have heard where someone was fired for performance and denied benefits was in PA. It was a guy that worked for a hospital for 20 years before being fired. Over the last two years of his employment with the hospital, they warned him several ways in writing and verbally that his performance had slipped and was no longer up to par. The hospital won because he had done the job well enough for 18 years and they gave him 2 years to fix his problems. Most employers I know like to cut performance problems off early so they don't let people stay around for long periods of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment