Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 02:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,640 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am in New Jersey and recently collecting unemployment. I'm looking for jobs while still doing my hobby (no schedules that prevent me from working or looking). My hobby is being a travel agent for groups. I have a few groups which I sold their vacation last year, but they will travel this year which means that I will get paid after their travel AND while I am collecting. Certainly the monies received might be greater than 20% or 30% of my weekly UI benefit and this might disqualify me for the week in which benefits are being claimed. I am confused because the NJ benefits website discloses that you should report the week you earned not the week when you were paid, therefore I really get concerned here because this is a 100% commission based on a sale from last year but because the group travels this year I will get paid this year AND while collecting, it sounds tricky!.
Do I have to report those commissions? This will be a 1099 year end. I am afraid to be red flagged by the UI system by telling them I am earning this commission (thats it's not consistent), but it's a pretty decent commission when I receive it. I mean "red flagged" like they opening my case and investigating me Because Sales are like that, you might don't earn for months and when you do then you do well. As many people think...I would prefer not to report it, but I certainly want to be smart and avoid any audits/issues (i think they can audit 52 weeks after your last check). I know people get away with it (even under W-2).
Also, I might consider to start my own business doing this, will they assist me with the benefit while I try my own business in case I don't find a job? I miss my paycheck (salary) but trying my own business might be an option so I would take self employment assistance program (if any). Any help/insight and guidance is appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 04:45 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,154,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contri View Post
I am confused because the NJ benefits website discloses that you should report the week you earned not the week when you were paid
You need to retell your story. UI is about when you do the work. If you did the work 5 years ago, and got paid tomorrow, you should have reported the work 5 years ago and the wages you anticipated receiving, not after you are paid.

WHEN did you book the trip?

Were you collecting UI?

If yes, then you already screwed up.

Do NOT do this type of work on UI. You're just asking for trouble.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,640 times
Hi Chyvan, Thanks for your message! No i did not collect when I booked the trip! I would earn the commission in the near future when I will be collecting. I don't really live of this, I can't! It's been a hobby extra income.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:11 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,154,156 times
Then you don't report the income.

Then do your hobby when you have a real job, not during a stint on UI.

The last thing you want is to go through an "able and available," "self employment," or "multiple separation" determinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment