Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 11:11 AM

19 posts, read 15,637 times

Advertisements

EDIT: I'm in Los Angeles, CA if that helps.

I was fired from my job at Amazon about a month ago, I'd taken two days off for being sick without having the sick days/PTO to cover it. Unfortunately the sickness was actually bad enough I had to miss work.

I applied for unemployment and have an interview scheduled for about a week from now. I was lurking a bit and saw that sometimes it's recommended not to take the call. On the form when I applied online I put "Fired, Reasons Not Listed".

I received about five pieces of mail, on the back of the phone interview notice the phone interview questions are:

Why are you no longer working at the last job?
Were you warned that your actions could result in firing?
When were you warned?

I was never personally warned about the firing, supposedly the way policy works is if you went negative enough in hours you'd get a warning, but I think those 2.5 days, resulting in about 20hrs missed, means I went over that threshold, I don't know.

Also I received something that says it needs to be returned to the UIC Trade Center, but I don't know what the form is for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by ilovesage; 09-29-2019 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 02:25 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Do not take the call.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Don’t take the call.

Did you see a doctor for your illness? Get a note?

Old 09-29-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Don’t take the call.

Did you see a doctor for your illness? Get a note?
No, I didn't. Stayed in bed for a few days and went back for my next shift when I felt good enough. First day no problem, second day they asked to talk to me. Supervisor said they weren't able to fudge the hours enough(my words for what they were doing essentially) to get mt under the threshold and they had to fire me, but I was welcome to re-apply in 30 days.

Honestly, I hated the job and it was a 40min drive each way, so I didn't fight it even when I had to wait until my regular payday for the final check.

Just hoping to get some cash to help with bills while finding a job closer to me.

Also, I'm guessing doing something like Door Dash and collecting UI is out of the question?

Old 09-30-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesage View Post
No, I didn't. Stayed in bed for a few days and went back for my next shift when I felt good enough. First day no problem, second day they asked to talk to me. Supervisor said they weren't able to fudge the hours enough(my words for what they were doing essentially) to get mt under the threshold and they had to fire me, but I was welcome to re-apply in 30 days.

Honestly, I hated the job and it was a 40min drive each way, so I didn't fight it even when I had to wait until my regular payday for the final check.

Just hoping to get some cash to help with bills while finding a job closer to me.

Also, I'm guessing doing something like Door Dash and collecting UI is out of the question?
Someone can comment better on your last point but I imagine if you declare the earnings it's no different than having part time work while you look full time. Your UI would be reduced.

I take it this was an hourly warehouse job at Amazon and not something corporate?

Old 09-30-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Someone can comment better on your last point but I imagine if you declare the earnings it's no different than having part time work while you look full time. Your UI would be reduced.

I take it this was an hourly warehouse job at Amazon and not something corporate?
Oh, yes it was a part time(24hr/week average) warehouse job. I had been "promoted" to a regular employee out of seasonal.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:18 AM

819 posts, read 572,092 times
You might want to try searching this forum with the word Uber to get more info -- but working for Uber is NOT recommended while on UI.

Here is one thread that addresses the issue.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...king-uber.html

Old 09-30-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janja1 View Post
You might want to try searching this forum with the word Uber to get more info -- but working for Uber is NOT recommended while on UI.

Here is one thread that addresses the issue.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...king-uber.html
Good thread. I forgot about the availability issue. If you're clocked into Uber you technically aren't available for other work...

Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 AM

819 posts, read 572,092 times
Quote:
Good thread. I forgot about the availability issue. If you're clocked into Uber you technically aren't available for other work...
Yes. And a lot of people think they can just work enough hours for Uber to maximize partial benefits. That doesn't always work out so well - with Uber or any part-time job. It is one thing if the job only has X number of hours available for you to work. But if more hours are available, you can't just work the number of hours you want to keep your earnings low. So you will find yourself working enough hours that you don't qualify for UI. So now you are driving for Uber to earn a living; as you are no longer receiving a UI check. And you have now made jobs like Uber "suitable employment" for yourself, as you are doing it.

A good idea to generate extra cash while on UI could be to take all that extra time you now have and go through your house / garage / etc. and downsize. Get rid of all that stuff you don't want or need anymore and turn it into cash.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:07 AM

268 posts, read 205,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesage View Post
EDIT: I'm in Los Angeles, CA if that helps.

I was fired from my job at Amazon about a month ago, I'd taken two days off for being sick without having the sick days/PTO to cover it. Unfortunately the sickness was actually bad enough I had to miss work.

I applied for unemployment and have an interview scheduled for about a week from now. I was lurking a bit and saw that sometimes it's recommended not to take the call. On the form when I applied online I put "Fired, Reasons Not Listed".

I received about five pieces of mail, on the back of the phone interview notice the phone interview questions are:

Why are you no longer working at the last job?
Were you warned that your actions could result in firing?
When were you warned?

I was never personally warned about the firing, supposedly the way policy works is if you went negative enough in hours you'd get a warning, but I think those 2.5 days, resulting in about 20hrs missed, means I went over that threshold, I don't know.

Also I received something that says it needs to be returned to the UIC Trade Center, but I don't know what the form is for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What was the threshold # of hours for them to warn you? Also, if they allowed you to come back to work for one day with no warning, then, they technically didn't terminate you for being sick because they allowed you to return while they tried to "fudge" the numbers (any chance you have that conversation in writing?).

Agree, don't take the call and see what Amazon does. They may not have anything if they didn't follow their own procedures (warning, etc).

Regarding Uber, it used to be a 1099/contractor job, but new legislation just passed in CA where it may soon be W-2 (not sure when). Even so, there are the other issues described above about it becoming your "suitable work" and not really being worth it part-time, availability, etc to seriously consider before proceeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment