Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 668 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I had to quit my job to attend a 3 month paralegal certification course. My job couldn’t put me on leave since I was there for less than a year and they hired someone for my position and I’m unable to get another job at that company. I hoped I could get employment offers before I finished the course and I didn’t. When I applied for medi-cal and food stamps I was told I needed to apply for unemployment as well. I got a phone interview for next Monday and I’ve been getting at least 2 job interviews a week but the process is slow. I know my chances for unemployment is low because I quit for school and I’m not sure if I should even do the interview if I’m going to be denied. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,166,562 times
What did you put in the original application for unemployment?

Unless you're prepared to outright lie, I don't think you've got much of a case, unless you followed some very specific steps before resigning.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:20 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,185,795 times
Whether you take the call or not, the story the way you're telling it is a loser: "quit for school," plain and simple.

Don't take the call. You might have better luck getting UI if you just say nothing. The reason you have to apply for UI when you apply for other aid is because if they approve you without being approved for UI, and then you apply and get approved, they don't turn off your other aid for 6 months and it was based on NO income rather than factoring in your UI benefit.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 668 times
I just spoke to my boss who told me that they couldn’t accommodate my leave at all and no guarantee there was a position open when I complete the program. I won’t lie during the interview. Since I’ll be denied for missing the interview would it be even worth it to go through an appeal?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,185,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invaderjosie View Post
Since I’ll be denied for missing the interview would it be even worth it to go through an appeal?
You don't always get denied for missing the interview. Why do people keep repeating this lie?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...first-edd.html

If you get denied, it will be because of what you put on your UI application, and what your employer submits to the UI people, NOT because you didn't take the call.

You are free to appeal, but if it's just to say, "I quit to attend school," then your UI denial will be assured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment