Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 943 times

Advertisements

Last October, I started feeling very sick and got progressively worst by December. I was on leave of absence starting in October for about 2 months and then in December was diagnosed with cancer. Because of this diagnosis, the treatment I would need to undergo and how physically demanding my job was I had to quit. I filed for State disability and have been on it since the beginning of June. My doctors were extending it 3 months at a time because they wanted to be sure there were no hiccups in my blood work after treatment. I am cancer free now and feeling better than ever. My disability was to end at the end of June and I told my doctor I did not want to extend it because I was ready to get back to work. I ended up ending my disability payments before the disability terminated and filed for unemployment so that I can start looking for work again. I even reached out to my old employer to see if there were any openings and that I would love to return, but unfortunately due to the COVID situation, they are not in the best place right now to hire anyone. I have been applying at other places and am fully able to return to work and accept work. When I filed for unemployment I stated that I quit my job due to health reasons and now I have a phone interview scheduled in 2 days. I am very very nervous they are going to deny me benefits. I also should add that I already have a claim balance in my portal, so I am wondering if they are just wanting to clarify exactly what happened and what the health reason was. Does anyone have any insight on this? Or advice they can provide for my interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 02:35 PM

957 posts, read 539,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsearayxo View Post
Last October, I started feeling very sick and got progressively worst by December. I was on leave of absence starting in October for about 2 months and then in December was diagnosed with cancer. Because of this diagnosis, the treatment I would need to undergo and how physically demanding my job was I had to quit. I filed for State disability and have been on it since the beginning of June. My doctors were extending it 3 months at a time because they wanted to be sure there were no hiccups in my blood work after treatment. I am cancer free now and feeling better than ever. My disability was to end at the end of June and I told my doctor I did not want to extend it because I was ready to get back to work. I ended up ending my disability payments before the disability terminated and filed for unemployment so that I can start looking for work again. I even reached out to my old employer to see if there were any openings and that I would love to return, but unfortunately due to the COVID situation, they are not in the best place right now to hire anyone. I have been applying at other places and am fully able to return to work and accept work. When I filed for unemployment I stated that I quit my job due to health reasons and now I have a phone interview scheduled in 2 days. I am very very nervous they are going to deny me benefits. I also should add that I already have a claim balance in my portal, so I am wondering if they are just wanting to clarify exactly what happened and what the health reason was. Does anyone have any insight on this? Or advice they can provide for my interview.
You are allowed to quit 'for good cause' and having cancer and needing to undergo treatments is a 'good cause' reason.
Im so happy you are cancer free right now!! What a scary thing to go through!!
Be honest and explain your diagnosis... dont overthink it and dont over explain. They will want doctor certification or something and you say thats fine. My thought is that you will be fine and they shouldnt deny you as its not your fault that covid hit while you were off.. and now there are no jobs to be had.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:38 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,773,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsearayxo View Post
Were you on FMLA when you quit the job?

Old 07-01-2020, 03:03 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,036,777 times
You may be confusing things. If you were told you can not continue working due to a serious health condition by a medical professional and was approved and paid SDI thorough EDD (not to be confused with employer or your own private disability insurance), the quit is no longer an issue, so it's only a distraction. However, when you are coming off SDI, EDD will not deem you able and available until a medical professional that has treated you and examine you has issued a clearance to return to work.

So, what you need for the call is the medical statement that you are unable to work under direction of a medical professional, your EDD SDI information (although both SDI and UI are both administered by the same state agency, SDI information isn't always readily available to UI for privacy reasons), and the final clearance to return to work from your medical professional.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,350 times
I got same reason to elegile for UI, I stop working since 10/2019 for chemical alergy. Edd interviewer called asked if I ready to work and i am done!! my pendings switch to PAID
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment